Stock Notice: Canon EOS R6 Mark II Body at B&H Photo

Feb 28, 2013
Here in the UK I walked into a London Camera Exchange and bought the R6 MKII straight away no waiting and they threw in a spare LP-6NH battery. That was three weeks ago and apart from having to remember that the on / off switch has changed sides (it was annoying to get used too coming from the R6 and still having the R5) Ive found the improvements to all be positive.
As a hybrid camera I would say its the best one out there currently well happy with it.

Upvote 0
I'm a career photographer, have been for close to 40 years. I have shot exclusively with Canon products my entire career. In the past few years I've owned a few Canon mirrorless cameras, and I was very eager to purchase the R6 MK II. However I have to say that this is a $2500 waste of money. There are a few pros, like the drive speed, and low light performance, but the cons outweigh everything else.

1) Not compatible with many third party lenses, including Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lenses. Bummer! I have two of these in my kit that are used for sports photography. Had to sell them both, as they won't function.

2) Camera randomly locks up, always at the most inopportune times. It locked up on 3/7/23 and the oddity of it was that when it failed, it displayed the live image that was present in the viewfinder. Not a captured image/photo, but a live image. The unit was unresponsive, nothing worked on the camera. I had to remove the battery and reinstall in order to get the camera back up and running. It has locked up probably 3-4 times in the last month. I'm running the latest firmware v1.1.1, however the lockups happened with the original firmware was well.

3) Custom settings do not keep on this camera at all. I will setup the shooting parameters (including 1/125 shutter speed) that I use, save them as C1-C3 and later when I go to use the setting the shutter speed always drops to 1/40th of a second. An no, I don't have the auto update enabled under this setting. This one is a head scratcher for sure.

4) Painfully slow startup time. I mean like 4-5 seconds before the camera decides it's ready to shoot. Supposedly this was fixed with the firmware v1.1.1, but I haven't noticed a difference. I read on another thread that if bluetooth was disabled, the camera starts up faster. I have experienced that it sometimes starts up sooner, but not all of the time. It's random. If you swap out a battery, and introduce a new battery, expect a 4-5 second lag time before the camera wakes up. I've never experienced this with any other Canon DSLR or mirrorless camera.

My best advice if you are looking to purchase a mirrorless is to go with the Canon RP. This little gem is solid and always ready to go. At under $1000 , you can buy two nice, dependable cameras that won't let you down.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I have shot exclusively with Canon products my entire career. In the past few years I've owned a few Canon mirrorless cameras, and I was very eager to purchase the R6 MK II. However I have to say that this is a $2500 waste of money. There are a few pros, like the drive speed, and low light performance, but the cons outweigh everything else.

1) Not compatible with many third party lenses, including Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lenses. Bummer! I have two of these in my kit that are used for sports photography. Had to sell them both, as they won't function.
Are these EF lenses? What's wrong with them on a R6 II body?

Upvote 0
Are these EF lenses? What's wrong with them on a R6 II body?
Both of these lenses locked the camera up. I tried removing and reinstalling the batteries, but it would do the same and lock up, rendering the camera in a state where it wouldn't take a photo. However both of these Tamron lenses worked perfectly on the EOS RP mirrorless camera as well as all of my previous DSLR Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
I'm a career photographer, have been for close to 40 years. I have shot exclusively with Canon products my entire career. In the past few years I've owned a few Canon mirrorless cameras, and I was very eager to purchase the R6 MK II. However I have to say that this is a $2500 waste of money. There are a few pros, like the drive speed, and low light performance, but the cons outweigh everything else.

2) Camera randomly locks up, always at the most inopportune times. It locked up on 3/7/23 and the oddity of it was that when it failed, it displayed the live image that was present in the viewfinder. Not a captured image/photo, but a live image. The unit was unresponsive, nothing worked on the camera. I had to remove the battery and reinstall in order to get the camera back up and running. It has locked up probably 3-4 times in the last month. I'm running the latest firmware v1.1.1, however the lockups happened with the original firmware was well.

3) Custom settings do not keep on this camera at all. I will setup the shooting parameters (including 1/125 shutter speed) that I use, save them as C1-C3 and later when I go to use the setting the shutter speed always drops to 1/40th of a second. An no, I don't have the auto update enabled under this setting. This one is a head scratcher for sure.

4) Painfully slow startup time. I mean like 4-5 seconds before the camera decides it's ready to shoot. Supposedly this was fixed with the firmware v1.1.1, but I haven't noticed a difference. I read on another thread that if bluetooth was disabled, the camera starts up faster. I have experienced that it sometimes starts up sooner, but not all of the time. It's random. If you swap out a battery, and introduce a new battery, expect a 4-5 second lag time before the camera wakes up. I've never experienced this with any other Canon DSLR or mirrorless camera.

My best advice if you are looking to purchase a mirrorless is to go with the Canon RP. This little gem is solid and always ready to go. At under $1000 , you can buy two nice, dependable cameras that won't let you down.
Thanks for mentioning the Tamron issue. I was considering the Tamron 35mm ef, but will skip for now. I just switched from RP to R6ii. The eye AF is a big upgrade, but there are a few changes to how the shooting modes work that are making it harder to get used to than I would have imagined. It was slightly faster on the RP to work in Fv than on the R6ii in my opinion. Also, I’m having trouble finding how to change the settings Av and Tv to be as simple (and fast to use) as they were on the RP. I suspect reading the rest of the manual will help me get things sorted. One under the radar benefit on the R6 is the eye cup. The eyecup sensor for the RP was too large (my strap would trigger it) and my nose was always pressed against the lcd screen uncomfortably. R6 is more comfortable for me in that respect.

Upvote 0
Both of these lenses locked the camera up. I tried removing and reinstalling the batteries, but it would do the same and lock up, rendering the camera in a state where it wouldn't take a photo. However both of these Tamron lenses worked perfectly on the EOS RP mirrorless camera as well as all of my previous DSLR Canon cameras.
Yes, they are EF Mount lenses. They worked perfectly on my Canon RP, as well as my 5D MkIII, 7D MKII, 1d MkIV, etc. Just don't work on the R6 MkII for some reason.

Upvote 0