End of an era, DPReview.com will shut down next month

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like DPReview.com will be a victim of Amazon’s cuts and reorganization. DPReview.com is now set to go offline on April 10, 2023. Dear readers, After nearly 25 years of operation, DPReview will be closing in the near future. This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier

See full article...

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Soul crushing. DPR and this site are my morning ritual for as many years as I have been into photography (going back to 2006 I think...) Not sure there is another site out there with the breadth of knowledge, heritage and experience across all of the major players in the photography industry as DPR. Hopefully somehow it resurrects itself in some way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can live without their reviews (and definitely without Rishi Sanyal's biases), and I didn't actively (or passively) participate in their rancorous forums. Having said that, there were certainly some knowledgable contributors to those forums and Google searches would pull up useful posts. Regardless of my personal feelings, definitely a loss for the community.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m going to miss DPReviewTV a lot, the website not so much. The website is very toxic for non-Sony shooters, just scroll through the comments for announcements to see the vitriol.
And that’s not even going into editors refusing to admit mistakes, like them manually boosting the green tint on the EOS R and then complaining about a green tint. When being pointed to the EXIF they went into full denial mode.

I hope to see Chris and Jordan doing a similar thing together in the future!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And that’s not even going into editors refusing to admit mistakes, like them manually boosting the green tint on the EOS R and then complaining about a green tint. When being pointed to the EXIF they went into full denial mode.
Or when they bashed the 1D X II AF because it was performing as Canon said it is supposed to, not how they expected it to. That behavior is what really put me off DPR in the first place.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Sad news, the site is fantastic, and I actually loved trawling and trolling the comments sections in reviews ("No IBIS? Just hold the camera steady lol")

I just hope they either get acquired by another company or find some way to archive the website and forums. There's so much great knowledge and discussion on there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bozaman

Doing stuff and other things ...
Feb 28, 2021
Phoenix, AZ USA
This sucks ... DPReview is and has been a valuable resource for a long time. I didn't realize it's been 25 years since it started, but I bet I've been reading DPReview reviews, articles and such for at least 20 of those years. It's unfortunate that the historical information will probably be lost after an undefined "grace" period. Even more unfortunate is the lost connection via that sites forums, the YouTube channel, etc.

:(

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
I’m going to miss DPReviewTV a lot, the website not so much. The website is very toxic for non-Sony shooters, just scroll through the comments for announcements to see the vitriol.

I hope to see Chris and Jordan doing a similar thing together in the future!
Those two are doing an exceptional job!

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Hmmm, I never really used them. I had the core of my EF outfit by about 1998, and thanks to that investment and familiarity never considered switching brands/systems. I switched to the EOS-1Ds MkI in 2002 and just kept buying the top SLR's until the R came out. I think I upgraded the trinity zooms once or twice between '98 and '19 but I didn't pay attention to who wrote the web reviews. Maybe DPReview was one of them.

The few times I tried, it seemed like they didn't have a good way to just see what was available for a given system, such as "just EF" without bogging down in the EF-S and EF-M systems.

Tip of the hat to CanonRumors, as it's largely just RF at this point which is all I need.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0