Canon releases firmware v1.4.1 for the EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has corrected a bug in firmware v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R3 and have released v1.4.1. If you haven’t upgraded to 1.4.0, this new firmware will add the following features and fixes. Firmware Version 1.4.1 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes: Download firmware v1.4.1 for the Canon EOS R3https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r3

See full article...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Firmware 1.4.0 bricked my R3. It's currently at service centre... Big fail for Canon. Canon doesn't have any testing department before firmware is released to public?
I'm sorry to hear that.

OK it could be the firmware that bricked your camera, or it could be coincidental, or it could be that you inadvertently bricked it yourself by not following Canon's instructions precisely.

Did you:

Check the size of the downloaded file against the correct size, to check for a corrupted file?
Fit a freshly charged battery?
Remove the lens and all other accessories?

Is it possible that you:

Panicked when the update stalled, and turned the camera off?
Accidentally or deliberately touched a button or dial during the install process?

Not criticising - just trying to be helpful ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear that.

OK it could be the firmware that bricked your camera, or it could be coincidental, or it could be that you inadvertently bricked it yourself by not following Canon's instructions precisely.

Did you:

Check the size of the downloaded file against the correct size, to check for a corrupted file?
Fit a freshly charged battery?
Remove the lens and all other accessories?

Is it possible that you:

Panicked when the update stalled, and turned the camera off?
Accidentally or deliberately touched a button or dial during the install process?

Not criticising - just trying to be helpful ;)
Update itself was ok. About 1 week after upgrade I wanted to check "panning assist" - the new option. Somehow I couldn't turn it off later. I tried different shooting modes, reset of settings - all failed. It ended up on body locked in 'bulb' mode and no signal from sensor (no image in in EVF). Btw, I've just got reply from service centre - they fixed it by loading new 1.4.1. After this situation I will not be too fast with trying new firmware. Better to wait few weeks if possible...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Update itself was ok. About 1 week after upgrade I wanted to check "panning assist" - the new option. Somehow I couldn't turn it off later. I tried different shooting modes, reset of settings - all failed. It ended up on body locked in 'bulb' mode and no signal from sensor (no image in in EVF). Btw, I've just got reply from service centre - they fixed it by loading new 1.4.1. After this situation I will not be too fast with trying new firmware. Better to wait few weeks if possible...
Glad to hear that the new firmware fixes it! :D

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
This morning I just updated my R3 camera from firmware 1.4.0 to 1.4.1.

A couple of things I noticed:

1) I could not get the Canon app on my phone to update it so I had to download the 1.4.1 to my card
2) I had to format my card before installing the new firmware to the card to be able to get the camera to detect the new firmware.

This is the last firmware I will be installing until I finish my two summer photography trips by the end of August.

I learned my lesson; wait a month after Canon release a 1.X.0 firmware because likely there will be a 1.X.1 version to fix a bug.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This morning I just updated my R3 camera from firmware 1.4.0 to 1.4.1.

A couple of things I noticed:

1) I could not get the Canon app on my phone to update it so I had to download the 1.4.1 to my card
2) I had to format my card before installing the new firmware to the card to be able to get the camera to detect the new firmware.

This is the last firmware I will be installing until I finish my two summer photography trips by the end of August.

I learned my lesson; wait a month after Canon release a 1.X.0 firmware because likely there will be a 1.X.1 version to fix a bug.
NEVER NEVER install firmware updates until at least a month after release. You may be lucky, most people are, but there's nothing worse than bricking a camera just before an important shoot. Don't take chances. Let others be the guinea pigs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A Canon "Oops" moment?
Not defending Canon here, but I wonder how they compare with Sony, Nikon and Panasonic regarding "technical oversights". It's a very competitive market, where goods have to be rushed out and are increasingly complex, so I'd imagine that the other brands have similar issues.

Upvote 0
Not defending Canon here, but I wonder how they compare with Sony, Nikon and Panasonic regarding "technical oversights". It's a very competitive market, where goods have to be rushed out and are increasingly complex, so I'd imagine that the other brands have similar issues.
SW is tough to get right. It will be interesting to see how AI can help debug it. One thing to miss a function/issue but another to brick a camera. You don't forget that.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
SW is tough to get right. It will be interesting to see how AI can help debug it.
AI is a wonderful thing, so yes I can't see any reason why it can't be used for debugging.

AI will provide so many opportunities for improving subject recognition, AF, metering, stacking, noise elimination, blur-control, hi-res, HDR, stabilisation and many other things that haven't even been thought of yet. As long as I can easily override it (or certain aspects of it), I welcome it. It would be nice to be able to customise cameras and choose which aspects I want AI to help with, and which ones I'd prefer to have total control of myself.
One thing to miss a function/issue but another to brick a camera. You don't forget that.
I find it crazy that *bricked* cameras can't be reset to the "out of box" settings, so that people can reinstall an older firmware version that works properly. If I bricked a camera, the first thing I'd do would be to remove and replace the battery, and attempt to install a previous version.

@PawelW seems to have encountered a genuine firmware-induced bricking, but I'd place bets that a lot of the bricking that gets reported is down to user error, i.e. not following Canon's instructions *precisely*. It's easy to panic and start pressing buttons when an installation appears to have frozen, but is just very very s-l-o-w.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]I find it crazy that *bricked* cameras can't be reset to the "out of box" settings, so that people can reinstall an older firmware version that works properly. If I bricked a camera, the first thing I'd do would be to remove and replace the battery, and attempt to install a previous version.
[...]
If pulling the battery works, it wasn't bricked, but 'crashed', 'hung', 'confused', 'on strike' or something like that. But not bricked.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0