Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Most of the pertinent information about the Canon EOS R100 has now leaked. With it, we get the smallest and lightest mirrorless camera in the EOS R lineup. The EOS R100 starts at $479 USD, so keep expectations about this camera in the same ballpark. Canon EOS R100 Specifications

See full article...

Hope they come out with decent compact lenses to go with it. I sold my M system late last year in anticipation of rumored R50. I had M50, 22 f2, 15-45 and 55-200 kit lenses. While not the best IQ, the compactness of those 3 lens combo certainly had its place to complement the FF body and the heavy f2.8 L glasses. I recently bought the R50 but returned it in favor of R10. R50 was small, but the existing lens made it uncomfortable to hold. In another word, the whole system is small, but not too small. Maybe the R100 and the 28 2.8 might be a small kit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The lenses will certainly be important to this body's success. But, in following the form factor etc of the M50 II, this tells us that Canon's plans for the M mount bodies is to transition them into APS-C R mount bodies, and presumably to 'rationalise' (ie reduce) the number and variety. Over what period of time, no-one knows except the bean-counters in Canon head office. It was probably inevitable, given the ongoing popularity of the M series (especially in kits with lenses), and the cost of maintaining parallel mounts going forward.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The RF28mm is about the same size as the EF40mm (120 vs 130g and 24 vs 24mm deep) but costs 50% more than the EF40mm 10 years ago.
Of course the EF40mm needs a R mount adaptor which doubled the cost/weight and size.

Inflation makes for around 26% increase for the US. Japan inflation is much lower including some years with negative inflation (deflation?). Raw materials is a different and specific issue though.

Curious that it is announced at the same time as a APS-C body although maybe because it would be ff equivalent at 45mm on the R100... or perhaps they just wanted a small lens mounted on it for its profile pic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... I'll pass!
Same opinion here!

For $200 more, the R50 clearly wins
Same opinion here!

And I am not sure, if Canon can get those customers, that are not willing to pay for an R50 with this.
But I hope, so the R ecosystem gets more people and can grow furthermore into the consumer price range.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Same opinion here!

Same opinion here!

And I am not sure, if Canon can get those customers, that are not willing to pay for an R50 with this.
But I hope, so the R ecosystem gets more people and can grow furthermore into the consumer price range.
There is also problem of Schizophreniac engineers adding and subtracting essential features on lenses and bodies aburptly. RF-S lenses lack AF-MF control switches while R7 and R10 got a dial on body but since then R6 II, R8, R50 and R100 have been announced all of which lack that control point. Far too many inconsistencies in how people are supposed to use the most basic features of camera. So some lenses get dedicated AF-Mf switch some get shared Af-Mf-Control switch and some get no switches at all while 2 bodies have dedicated Af-mf selector dial while rest have to rely on menu for that operation.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
For $200 more, the R50 clearly wins:

R50: DPAF II, 651 points, 12/15 FPS, uncropped 4K video
R100: DPAF, 143 points, 6.5 FPS, cropped 4K video
I personally agree that $200 is insignificant, especially compared to what r50 offers, but to some, it may be significant amount. It's like 40% more. I think Canon's strategy is to have a body at every price point, and have consumers choose. The real profit may be in selling lenses.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., May 24, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is excited to announce the launch of the EOS R100 camera and RF28mm F2.8 STM lens, two new affordable, compact, and lightweight tools for entry-level and emerging content creators to elevate their skills. The Canon EOS R100 camera was designed for

See full article...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... and RF28mm F2.8 STM lens...
That one looks cool!
I hope it is performing at least as good as the old pancakes.

If so, it's mine.

Edit: thinking about this, paired with an R8 for city and street... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
As a bottom end camera, it's too many compromises, especially the lack of flip touchscreen which has always been an essential entry-level feature. Without it this camera is more like the 1000 series DSLRs. I can see why it exists but the R50 is much better value.

The 28mm looks fun though, finally a real pancake!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0