01 error for lens on 5d3

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neurorx

I was using my 5d3 and during use my 70-200 f4L IS started displaying and error (01 lens is unable to make contact the camera). I had shot about 100 shots with the lens before the error and there was no damage to the lens and it has worked fine up til now). It says to clean the lens contacts (gold prongs look fine). I tried other lenses and they seem to work. The f4 is about yr old and its stored in its box when not in use. Any thoughts?

Nov 23, 2010
neurorx said:
I was using my 5d3 and during use my 70-200 f4L IS started displaying and error (01 lens is unable to make contact the camera). I had shot about 100 shots with the lens before the error and there was no damage to the lens and it has worked fine up til now). It says to clean the lens contacts (gold prongs look fine). I tried other lenses and they seem to work. The f4 is about yr old and its stored in its box when not in use. Any thoughts?

The problems must be with the lens, since it's the only one misbehaving. Clean the contacts with an eraser, make sure the plate that holds the contacts is not loose, have you seen if this happens at every aperture? It could be the motor for that beginning to fail or a bad/loose connetion. Not much you can do other than try to diagnose when it happens to isolate where the problems is or just get it to service.

Upvote 0
S

Sports hack

Same thing happened with me last evening, first with my 70-200 2.8 mm II, then with my 135 mm 2.0 and finally with my 24-105 mm. Shutting off and turning it back on seemed to work, but it is still a pain with a new camera and three less than six month old lenses, none of which have been used anywhere where they cold have accumulated any amount of dirt on the contacts.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
neurorx said:
I was using my 5d3 and during use my 70-200 f4L IS started displaying and error (01 lens is unable to make contact the camera).

*If* the contacts are clean, your camera body tells you your lens is broken. I had this on my 100 non-L macro two times now and therefore will have switch to the L version. Give your lens to Canon service, but be on your toes if you've got warranty because they will probably try tell you it's your fault (dust/sand, water = corrosion), so clean the lens on the outside to make it look like it was never used. And be prepared for a shock - the price of the replacement aperture and/or shutter isn't that large, but the service tech salary is.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Sports hack said:
Same thing happened with me last evening, first with my 70-200 2.8 mm II, then with my 135 mm 2.0 and finally with my 24-105 mm. Shutting off and turning it back on seemed to work, but it is still a pain with a new camera and three less than six month old lenses, none of which have been used anywhere where they cold have accumulated any amount of dirt on the contacts.

Is your camera 5DmkIII ?

Anyway, no matter the camera model, I bet you realize it can't be all 3 lenses that have the problem...

Just my opinion ofcourse...

Upvote 0
My brand new 85 L arrived today. Took 3 shots with it and then got ERR01 on my 5D3. The error is persistant and I cannot do anything (manual focus doen't work since this is a focus-by-wire lens; cannot change aperture (gives aperture of 00)). Shutting of/on doesn't help; tried full battery; tried other body (30D), tried cleaning contacts.... nothing works :(

My other lenses don't have a problem though.

Any advice?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.