Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13364"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13364">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>More from Sigma in 2013</strong>

We’re told Sigma will announce a 135mm f/1.8 DG OS Art lens sometime in 2013. There could be up to 3 more Art lenses announced this year. We’ve previously heard they would be releasing a 24mm f/1.4 DG Art sometime in 2013.</p>
<p>There has been no mention of an f/2 or faster zoom for full frame cameras.</p>
<p>An update to the 50mm f/1.4 could also be on the horizon.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
niklasR said:
Any hint of HSM? Could be something for indoor sports, too. Unless the Art-range keeps converging to L-prices… (for me, at least)
I'd have thought so. All of the high end Sigma glass has HSM.

f1.8 and OS, coupled with Sigma's recent proven performance of the 35/1.4 - if it is real, this could turn out to be an astonishing lens.

Upvote 0
I just bought my Canon 135mm, so unless the Sigma blows it away, I probably wouldn't immediately upgrade.

I like where Sima is going, but the limited sample size concerns me. I love my Siggy 35mm, and I really hope they can keep it up. If Sigma can deliver on another couple lenses, the could really give Canon a run or their money.

Looking forward to seeing what Sima can deliver next.

Upvote 0
mememe said:
Bad Rumor.

1.8 + OS = dont think so!!!!

Why not?

A fast lens with stabilization is the best of both worlds. For one, just because you can shoot wide open doesn't at all mean you want to. A 135 f/1.8 is going to have a razor-thin depth of field. There'd be plenty of times you'd want to stop down to at least f/8 to have all of your subject in focus. If you're in Sunny f/16 light, you can easily get hand-holdable f/8 exposures at 135mm. But with stabilization you could step indoors, keep your aperture at f/8, boost the ISO to 3200, and still have a fast enough shutter for portraiture even if not action. That opens up an awful lot of doors.

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
mememe said:
Bad Rumor.

1.8 + OS = dont think so!!!!

Why not?

A fast lens with stabilization is the best of both worlds. For one, just because you can shoot wide open doesn't at all mean you want to. A 135 f/1.8 is going to have a razor-thin depth of field. There'd be plenty of times you'd want to stop down to at least f/8 to have all of your subject in focus. If you're in Sunny f/16 light, you can easily get hand-holdable f/8 exposures at 135mm. But with stabilization you could step indoors, keep your aperture at f/8, boost the ISO to 3200, and still have a fast enough shutter for portraiture even if not action. That opens up an awful lot of doors.

Cheers,

b&

Yes, all nice. But i am not worried about the need of such a lens. More about the possibility to even build it! (For a price someone can pay)

But seems like its more easy to add IS/OS to a telephoto-lens. So there is a little chance to get that but i am not really confident.

BTW: The canon 135 is even a bit faster than f/2. Could be that the Sigma will be only 1.9 and they are cheating a bit...

Upvote 0
mememe said:
Yes, all nice. But i am not worried about the need of such a lens. More about the possibility to even build it! (For a price someone can pay)

A 135mm f/1.8 lens has the same size physical aperture as a 200mm f/2.8 lens. I'm pretty sure this lens would be cheaper than Sigma's $1,300 70-200mm f/2.8 OS, seeing how it's a much simpler design. I'd also guess that it'd be cheaper than Canon's $1,000 135mm f/2 L, because that tends to be how Sigma rolls. I'd personally guess somewhere in the $800 range.

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.