1div + 35-350L football??

Jan 21, 2022
Curious to hear your views
My son has less than 5 games left this season.

My go to kit is a gripped 5diii + ef100-400Lii

I sometimes struggle pitchside when the action gets close. I usually sit at the corners and “sweep” I’ve tried taking 2 body’s with different lenses - sounds good in theory but in practice I end up missing more shots.

My settings are pretty much standard
Jpeg L - Landscape profile - M - wide open - auto iso - Alservo

BTW the 5diii AF hates red, seems to throw the AF off. Whereas grey is very sticky almost 100% success rate.

Shutter speed is never below 1/800th. I tend to have IS on to steady the viewing as I only use centre point only so have to ensure it’s covering its target.

I’m toying with the idea of taking my 1div + 35-350L (basically 45-450 with the crop factor)

Just curious from those in the know if the results would be massively inferior to my current set up.

I do have both 80d and 7dii, (even a M6ii!)! But I’m guessing the results would be appalling.

I normally shoot between 1500 -1800 per game. 2/3rds get dumped editing later. Editing is via the photo editor included with windows.

Last edited:

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
It's been a few years, but then I took pictures of my son's soccer (football) games. I used a gripped canon 7D and the 70-300L. Always in M-mode.
I also took pictures of the other children for the parents of the those children.
I often walked along the line and sometimes just kept shooting in the same place for a short while.
Beforehand I made a choice in which I was aware that shooting from a distance works better than a few meters in front of my lens.
The shutter speed was always above 1/640 - also often 1/800 or 1/1000. On cloudy days, the quality of the pictures was less (noise). But in general
the AF worked pretty well. Nice results.
Later I had the gripped 5D MK III with the 100-400 II. That worked even better. However, I still consciously chose to take the photos as the players
be away from the lens. Not too far so that I still got some bokeh in the photos.
My son no longer plays. Shame. I now have the R6. That would be really nice.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Thanks for replying candyman
I started off with the original 5d using the old ef 100-300 usm. Worked just fine…until the mirror fell out! Sent it to canon for repair and bought the original 7d. Wow that was so fast. I upgraded my lens to brand new ef 70-300L wow wow!!
The 5d was sold. Then bought the 7dii, still good. But I wanted better, so moved up to 5diii. Incredible!! But my lens now had less reach hence the arrival of the 100-400ii.
Time is running out, he won’t play forever, girls will catch his eye and junior sports will suddenly seem childish.
I want to grab all the chances I can. Like you I take shots of the whole team, edit, then hand them over to the football manager who has a secure webpage where he puts them for the other parents. It’s a huge amount of work on my part, but I’m privileged in being allowed to document this. Eventually I’ll condense the photos down and produce photo books.
The worse bit is the team group photos, I don’t like working under pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I never really committed to taking photos for the whole team. It was an extra and so I wasn't under pressure. But I understand you!
I did not yet created a book for my son. Wanted to do that for his 18th birthday. I didn't succeed. Just too busy. It is going to end up as one of those projects after retirement. It will take some years for that but is not really that so far away.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
The main drawback is you'll get more distortion with 35-350L, but the used price on it and the 1D iv are so low, that if it doesn't work out and you want to resell it, I don't imagine you'd lose much money.
Exactly
I got both 1div and 35-350 (both boxed with all accessories) for just over £600 about a year ago. I appreciate the prices are falling.
They are not mint, but nor are they abused or tatty (very very slight paint loss on the lens friction ring). They both seem to be working perfectly. The lens is so fast (rear ring usm) I actually owned one back in 97’ when I did a brief stint as a press photographer. The canon EOS 1dn and 35/350 along with the 540EZ gun covered virtually every scenario I faced.

Edit: Just remembered when I did my press stint I was asked to do the Sunday supplement photos, A Day In The Life Of A Hill Farmer. I turned up early somewhere remote in the North Yorkshire moors. It was very foggy. The farmer took me out in his Land Rover, I took a shot through the open window whilst the landrover was climbing up a very very steep accent, The picture was a ewe and lamb through the fog. The lens was racked out to 350, the 540 gave sufficient light (remember this was analogue and no IS) That shot made the front page of the Sunday supplement A3 full bleed. I got my name in the byline - lol
I think that’s when the 35-350 got my respect

£600 is a lot of money, but buys you next to nothing today in canon R land.

Last edited:
Upvote 0