1DX II 1080p @120fps real resolution issue.

My wild guess is that probably nothing will change.
I don't remember Canon ever significantly improving video quality with a firmware update.
The 1-series bodies never had, and probably never will have Magic Lantern, so that is another dead end.

My guess is that it probably isn't possible, and even if it was, they simply want you to go and buy one of their dedicated video cameras.

Upvote 0

marvinhello

Canon 1D C user
Feb 28, 2012
UK
uxr51 said:
Hello,

I have been looking at videos from the 1DX II at 1080P 120FPS but all of them look more like 720p. This is an issue I've read many reviewers mention.

Does anyone have an idea if canon is able to address this in the future with a firmware update? Or is it not likely?

Yes Canon uses pixel binning to read entire sensor, the resulting RAW bayer is about 700 lines of resolution. the 60p and 120p on 1DX II are the same quality and on par with 5D III 1080p.

Unfortunately this is the only efficient way of reading out a pixel dense FF sensor without lineskipping.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
marvinhello said:
uxr51 said:
Hello,

I have been looking at videos from the 1DX II at 1080P 120FPS but all of them look more like 720p. This is an issue I've read many reviewers mention.

Does anyone have an idea if canon is able to address this in the future with a firmware update? Or is it not likely?

Yes Canon uses pixel binning to read entire sensor, the resulting RAW bayer is about 700 lines of resolution. the 60p and 120p on 1DX II are the same quality and on par with 5D III 1080p.

Unfortunately this is the only efficient way of reading out a pixel dense FF sensor without lineskipping.

From someone who knows a lot more than me please comment. I understand that the 4K 60p of the 1DX II is actually quite good and a worthy feature but beyond that it doesn't sound impressive. So realistically, as a Canon shooter what is fine and what isn't with the 1DX II. I'm not familiar as yet with all the catch-phrases or jargon so please be fairly explicit if you don't mind.

Jack

Upvote 0

marvinhello

Canon 1D C user
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Jack Douglas said:
marvinhello said:
uxr51 said:
Hello,

From someone who knows a lot more than me please comment. I understand that the 4K 60p of the 1DX II is actually quite good and a worthy feature but beyond that it doesn't sound impressive. So realistically, as a Canon shooter what is fine and what isn't with the 1DX II. I'm not familiar as yet with all the catch-phrases or jargon so please be fairly explicit if you don't mind.

Jack

4K at various frame rates on 1DX II are excellent quality. People just complain about the soft 1080p mode.

For comparison, S35 HD mode on 1DC is very sharp and on par with C100/C300.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PureClassA said:
I'm not so sure, I''ve seen some very good looking 120fps footage from the DX2. Some from pros who use REDs on a regular basis.

All I've been able to find is rather disgruntled comments regarding the video of either the 5D4 or 1DX II that are based on folk being annoyed mostly by missing features. When I viewed 1DX II video samples they looked good to me but I'm one of the least knowledgeable, for sure. It would be nice to see samples with commentary demonstrating why it is "crap". The 5D4 is getting all kinds of ridicule from some and clearly some of it is not well founded and I have trouble knowing who to believe.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
PureClassA said:
I'm not so sure, I''ve seen some very good looking 120fps footage from the DX2. Some from pros who use REDs on a regular basis.

All I've been able to find is rather disgruntled comments regarding the video of either the 5D4 or 1DX II that are based on folk being annoyed mostly by missing features. When I viewed 1DX II video samples they looked good to me but I'm one of the least knowledgeable, for sure. It would be nice to see samples with commentary demonstrating why it is "crap". The 5D4 is getting all kinds of ridicule from some and clearly some of it is not well founded and I have trouble knowing who to believe.

Jack

I have not noticed a large degredation at 120fps. However i will admit, my standards are low for that purpose. 1080p as of late has seen a big hit in iq. Digic 6. There are a lot of threads here as to why but i think it has to do with compression and perhaps the need to differentiate the dslr line from the cinema line.

However when iq counts, i go to 4k and downsample...doesnt help with 120fps mode. Ill pay more attention and see if i can get some real world examples of all modes to compare.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
East Wind Photography said:
Jack Douglas said:
PureClassA said:

Jack

I have not noticed a large degredation at 120fps. However i will admit, my standards are low for that purpose. 1080p as of late has seen a big hit in iq. Digic 6. There are a lot of threads here as to why but i think it has to do with compression and perhaps the need to differentiate the dslr line from the cinema line.

However when iq counts, i go to 4k and downsample...doesnt help with 120fps mode. Ill pay more attention and see if i can get some real world examples of all modes to compare.

Thanks. I suspect for my needs it'll be just fine. My problem is I got kind of psyched up about getting the 1DX II and now have shifted because of the 30 MPs of the 5D4 being more important to me.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Jack Douglas said:
PureClassA said:

Jack

Thanks. I suspect for my needs it'll be just fine. My problem is I got kind of psyched up about getting the 1DX II and now have shifted because of the 30 MPs of the 5D4 being more important to me.

Jack

Yes its a moderate increase. I think the 5d4 will be an excellent camera. Im still not quite sure how they are going to get 4k to write reliably to a CF card. I hope its not because they are compressing it more. I am completely statisfied with the 1dx2 and the low noise factor makes up for the sensor resolution. Perhaps the 5d4 will have better noise NR.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks East Wind, I'm giving myself till February and then I will get one or the other, so you views will be much appreciated. It really is the 30 MPs over the 14 fps that I'm trading off against and of course disappointed about not getting some 1 series features. Mind you, touch screen is a nice addition, etc.

Cost wasn't a factor until Friday when I up and bought the 400 DO II. Now I may have to give up my 300 if I go for the 1DX II. Can't explain the lens purchase since it wasn't even on the radar! :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks East Wind, I'm giving myself till February and then I will get one or the other, so you views will be much appreciated. It really is the 30 MPs over the 14 fps that I'm trading off against and of course disappointed about not getting some 1 series features. Mind you, touch screen is a nice addition, etc.

Cost wasn't a factor until Friday when I up and bought the 400 DO II. Now I may have to give up my 300 if I go for the 1DX II. Can't explain the lens purchase since it wasn't even on the radar! :)

Jack

Its called GAS (gear aquisition syndrom) and we are all afflicted. I traded in my 300 f2.8 for a 300 f2.8II. That was a GAS purchase for sure...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Its called GAS (gear aquisition syndrom) and we are all afflicted. I traded in my 300 f2.8 for a 300 f2.8II. That was a GAS purchase for sure...

Ha, does that mean I am immune? I am still working with my 1DS MkIII's and 300 f2.8 IS MkI :D

Mind you I did get the 11-24 and I will be getting the Pro-2000 at some point, so maybe not........

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

LOL - you didn't "trade" for that. You gave up that old 300 PLUS some cash ::) ;D Fixed that for ya

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Guess I'm not a man of word after all. I will be receiving my 1DX II on Wednesday.

I understand that frame grabs of action would require a high shutter speed and that high shutter speeds don't make for smooth video. Does anyone have a sample of the degradation that would be observed in the video in that case, is it really noticeable?

Jack

Upvote 0
I have the 1dx2 and its excellent at 4k60p video, better then my Sony's. What I found, shoot 4k60p, then you can run it at 50% speed without any frame blending. However using "optical flow" in FCPX at 25% it gives better quality then the 100-120frame 1080.

So I would say - forget the 100 or 120p 1080 and use the 4k. I will probably not use any 1080 resolution on this camera.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Ahhh. Bad case of GAS you had there. ;). You will wonder what you did until the credit card is paid off but be asured that once thats done you will not think back about it. Its well worth the cost in my opinion if you can utilize the features that make it the flagship camera.

Now start looking at those 256gb cfast 2.0 cards!

Guess I'm not a man of word after all. I will be receiving my 1DX II on Wednesday.

I understand that frame grabs of action would require a high shutter speed and that high shutter speeds don't make for smooth video. Does anyone have a sample of the degradation that would be observed in the video in that case, is it really noticeable?

Jack

Upvote 0
asmundma said:
I have the 1dx2 and its excellent at 4k60p video, better then my Sony's. What I found, shoot 4k60p, then you can run it at 50% speed without any frame blending. However using "optical flow" in FCPX at 25% it gives better quality then the 100-120frame 1080.

So I would say - forget the 100 or 120p 1080 and use the 4k. I will probably not use any 1080 resolution on this camera.

Im forced for the time being to use 1080 when recording sporting events for my teams. I could get a 2nd 256gb cfast card but ....

For short scenes 4k is great.

Upvote 0