2016 AfricaRaw photosafari by "old age adventurers" has started posting

This year our self drive photographic safari was 3 months long from February to May. We chose these dates to coincide with our 50th class reunion at Wits Medical School in Johannesburg. We visited Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park & Etosha National Park, & ended the trip by crossing Botswana quickly for a brief first visit to Pilanesberg Game Reserve. The KTFP & Etosha had areas that were very dry. We saw lots of game, but most dramatic were the scenes after short heavy rains resulted in explosions of yellow flowers (dubbltjies- Tribulus zeyheri). We have now started posting in www.africaraw.com the photos from the Rooiputs camp area. We will then complete KTFP before starting on Etosha & Pilanesberg.

Attachments

• cheetah_samenvloeing_KTFP-1094.jpg
    cheetah_samenvloeing_KTFP-1094.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 272
  • jackal pupl_KTFP-6825.jpg
    jackal pupl_KTFP-6825.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 260
  • lion_cub_KTFP-1237.jpg
    lion_cub_KTFP-1237.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 252
  • lion_portrait_KTFP-1196.jpg
    lion_portrait_KTFP-1196.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 305
  • lion_sunset stroll_KTFP-1351.jpg
    lion_sunset stroll_KTFP-1351.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 309
Thank you all for the kind words. Marianne & I appreciate it very much.
We started off 12 years without any experience at all. Do a short course 4x4 driving, hire a reliable car, & go to easier places first e.g. Etosha & the KTFP. Also stay in fenced camps in the beginning. Our "tips" sections do illustrate the stupid things beginners (us) can get up to. Essential to buy or rent a satellite telephone if you also going to do it on your own! That saved us a number of times e.g. car break downs, illness, & being stuck in a river, as well as just for contact with family

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Howard and Marianne.
I was trying to work out how to say what I thought and then read Maximillian's post, I think he summed up my thoughts very nicely.

Cheers, Graham.

Maximilian said:
Great impressions!

I like the pichtures from the waterhole.
The reflections and the animals quenching their thirst make these pictures really alive.

And the lions portait says: if he could speak, he had some stories to tell.

Lovely.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi edoorn.
I can't help you with the Africa bit, but the 4x4 bit I may be able to, adding to what oldageadventurer said, hire a 4x4 locally and get off the beaten track, learn how to self recover or find a local 4x4 club and get their help with tips and tricks. You have no idea how lonely you can be once your 4x4 becomes stuck even when civilisation is a 20 minute walk away until you have done it, got the T shirt! ;D Much easier to learn with backup than in the middle of your holiday.

Cheers, Graham.

edoorn said:
fantastic! These places are high on my wish list to do a self drive for a couple of weeks, so the tips on your site are quite useful too :)

Do you think it's a doable trip as a tourist, renting a 4x4?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Very nice! I'll add my South Africa shots to the mix.
These are also for my good friend Eldar, who ripped me a new one because I don't post enough for him. Eldar, enjoy!

Attachments

• _K8I1625.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 265
  • _K8I1671.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 259
  • _K8I5308.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 256
  • _K8I5153.jpg
    _K8I5153.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
These are also for my good friend Eldar, who ripped me a new one because I don't post enough for him. Eldar, enjoy!
Really like the first 'Resting leopard' Scott, as well as the possessive lioness with her giraffe! Excellent wildlife images..and thanks for sharing.
Grant

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Grant Atkinson said:
scottkinfw said:
Really like the first 'Resting leopard' Scott, as well as the possessive lioness with her giraffe! Excellent wildlife images..and thanks for sharing.
Grant

Thank you Grant.
Enjoyed the trip to S Africa. I thought of you when I was there. Wonderful place.

sek

Upvote 0