Industry News: Nikon Z6 & Z7 specifications leak out ahead of tomorrow’s announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon will announce their full frame mirrorless cameras tomorrow, along with a slew of lenses for the system. As we’re used to, the full specifications have leaked out ahead of tomorrow’s announcement.
Nikon Z7 Specifications

45.7 MP back-illuminated CMOS
5 axis (sensor-based IS)
EXPEED 6
64-25600
The hybrid AF system covers about 90% of the imaging area
493 AF Points
Continuous: 9 frames / sec
3.2″ touchscreen
Recording medium: XQD card
Size: 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm
Weight: 675 g
UK pricing: body:
Body Only £3399
Kit Lens: £3499,
24-70mm f/4 S kit: £3999
24-70mm f/4 S+ FTZ: £4099

Nikon Z6 Major Specification

24 MP back-illuminated CMOS
5 axis (sensor-based IS)
EXPEED 6
100-51200
The hybrid AF system covers about 90% of the imaging area
273 AF Points
Continuous: 12 frames / sec
3.2″ touchscreen
Recording medium: XQD card
Size: 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm
Weight: 675 g

Continue reading...

If true on IBIS and Canon doesn't follow suit with an IBIS FF mirrorless design, they could be in some competitive trouble here.

For an IBIS newbie like me, I've certainly read the Lens IS vs. IBIS debate here, but isn't IBIS more important in mirrorless than SLRs as it helps stabilize the EVF?

- A
I also wonder whether or not the user can set IBIS to the typical mode 1-3 type settings. Otherwise the user would have to fight with IBIS to get something like a panning shot.

It looks like IBIS is more effective at shorter focal lengths. Otherwise, the new Sony telephoto wouldn't have needed image stabilization...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For an IBIS newbie like me, I've certainly read the Lens IS vs. IBIS debate here, but isn't IBIS more important in mirrorless than SLRs as it helps stabilize the EVF?

- A
I would have thought Lens stabilization as being superior for a DSLR (because the OVF is stabilized for in lens but not IBIS) where both systems would be equivalent for a mirrorless (because the EVF will see whatever the sensor sees so you can stabilize either)?

Upvote 0
I also wonder whether or not the user can set IBIS to the typical mode 1-3 type settings. Otherwise the user would have to fight with IBIS to get something like a panning shot.

It looks like IBIS is more effective at shorter focal lengths. Otherwise, the new Sony telephoto wouldn't have needed image stabilization...
Those are really good points that I had not at all considered about IBIS. I know there was a video comparing the two systems recently (for IBIS in a Sony a7III vs Canon IS), but I don't believe they tested anything longer than 100mm. I'd be curious to see a comparison between longer focal lengths.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And it's official: IBIS onboard.

Nikon-Z7-IBIS-550x420.png

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Those are not cheap plasticky f/1.8 lenses. See prices below in yen, which are ~ $700-1200 USD each at a straight conversion. Probably will be a little less than that stateside.

And the 500mm short PF prime will cost around $3500-4000 stateside if I am reading this right -- it's just a shade over the price of the Z7 body only, which we'd guess is a ~$3300 item stateside.

Nikon-Z-Japan-pricing-361x550.jpg

- A

Upvote 0
And the 500mm short PF prime will cost around $3500-4000 stateside if I am reading this right -- it's just a shade over the price of the Z7 body only, which we'd guess is a ~$3300 item stateside.

All the talk is on the new cameras at the moment, but I have to say, I'm quite envious of that new lens, it looks really nice and compact. And the price seems very reasonable. If Canon came out with a similar 500mm f/5.6 DO IS around that price, I'd be very, very tempted.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I watched the live stream, took a few notes.

Mount is 55mm ID Ø. and 16mm register distance.

Yes, up to 5 stops' worth of IBIS.
I wonder if they will also move to combine IBIS with lens VR on longer FL lenses to maximize overall effect like Oly and Pany do...

Still waiting to see actual press-releases and brochures so all the features will be listed.

AF to use both phase and contrast methods

Image processor to do some sort of mid-level sharpening to improve output (hopefully just a camera jpg thing)

full HD at 120p is handy for slow-mo video.

New lenses to featured reduced focus-breathing for better video use. Also smooth and quiet focus and aperture control.

Add-on battery pack (grip or just battery case, I didn't notice) for extended shooting.

Prime lens is using a stepping motor... and designed for smoother bokeh and reduced axial CA

Lens roadmap includes more f/1.8 primes, three f/2.8 zooms (that the pros typically use)
not sure if I heard right but also some f/1.8 zooms

S-line of lenses to meet MTF and QC spec.

the 58mm f/0.95 Noct is something they're really pouring the effort into

F-mount lenses will continue to be developed

z7 available in Japan end of September, z6 end of November

adapter, 24-70/4, 35/1.8 also for end of Sept.
50/1.8 end of October.

F-mount system accessories will work (I presume things like flashes)

FTZ adapter works with about 360 compatible lenses.... that's a lot!

500/5.6 f-mount shipping mid September.

... I need the user's manual now... I really want to see what's all in this thing!

And it's official: IBIS onboard.

Nikon-Z7-IBIS-550x420.png

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Very decently spec'd cameras from Nikon, obviously we need to wait to see how they perform for real world usage and feedback from actual photographers. The price will be fully justified if they did really well on the video side as well that includes auto focus in video. 4k30p 10bit out through HDMI is really nice. Single card slot and no variangle screen are the two things I see as downsides. Wishing good luck to Nikon and enjoy the cameras Nikonians :)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think I'd be very happy if I were a long time Nikon user. At least on paper they've brought two good cameras to the plate. I think the way they spec'ed the two cameras was clever. I'd say they will get at least an initial high demand. The D850 is still supposed to be difficult to get in parts. I wonder what the cameras will do now for Canon. Anything less than these specs would be a major disappointment.
I'd have to say 12 FPS at 24 MP is a very attractive combination. After long use of a 5DSR I'd conclude 50MP is overkill -useful for superlarge prints but awkward file sizes otherwise. 24MP is a sweet spot for details and ease of use. Anyway well done Nikon - I hope it lives up to its promise and keeps my Nikonite friends happy. I await the Canon response with eager anticipation hoping to be reasonably satisfied.

Upvote 0