Lexar announces the world’s first 1TB SD card

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
San Jose, USA, January 9, 2019 – Lexar, a leading global brand of flash memory solutions, today announced the new Lexar® Professional 633x SDXC™ UHS-I card with 1 terabyte (1TB) of memory.
Shoot and record more of what you love without changing cards with this high-capacity 1TB memory card that supplies the space you need for capturing all the action. Designed for your mid-range DSLR, HD camcorder, or 3D camera, the Lexar® Professional 633x SDXC™ UHS-I card lets you quickly capture, and transfer high-quality photos and stunning 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video**, with read speeds of up to 633x (95MB/s)*. This Class 10 card leverages UHS-I technology to deliver high-speed performance to get the shot you want while providing the reliability you need.

“Almost fifteen years ago, Lexar announced a 1GB SD™ card. Today, we are excited to announce 1TB of storage capacity in the same convenient form factor. As consumers continue to demand greater storage for their cameras, the...

Continue reading...

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Fill up your hard drive with just one card? Seems like Lexar is providing a great example of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."
So don't buy it.

While I might not use a 1TB SD card in a camera, I'd like one this size for securely backing up data from my laptop, which has an SD slot built in. I can use Windows Bitlocker on it, so if the little thing went astray, at least it would be hard to get at whatever is on it. (Bitlocker is like any lock: It keeps the honest people honest.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
Interesting... memory cards and SSD drives are just 'flying high' nowadays...
it is why I have 2 .....LG V10 phones.. because it can address 2TB cards..
Big display... nice camera... changeable battery
when one died.... I bought a refurbished...
I have a rugged one..that gets banged about..biking in the rain
and a nicer one that is nearly pristine

They both have 256Gig cards....similar files

//////
yeah........I also thought Lex stopped with memory ...
//////

it is an absurd feature ...sorta..
ALL my music, bunches of fav youtube music videos..
a big collection of years ...of my Canon photos to review..
all in my hip pocket.. x 2 .....

and lots of room for photos and videos from the phone...each day...

as soon as the price is dropped a bit.. I am ready to update..
//
as mentioned... above ...the little cards are handy to back up the laptop..
I do it also..

I will never get another phone without replaceable battery AND a large micro-sd ability..
///

I love this site.. there is always so much happening...
and people are so informed.... so I learn too

I have EOS 1dx2 and 5D3.. but I would LOVE a high megapixel R body.. to gradually move to..
I am pretty sure my 35MM II and Sig 135 f1.8 are up to that..
maybe the 100-400 II also.....

CORRECTION:
I have to laugh at myself: I 'READ' 1TB micro...
...never mind ...haha... soon it may get to 1TB..

my 256GB micro-SD phone cards AND 256GB SD camera cards are doing fine..though

//////

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can’t say I’m thrilled by the prospect of a 1TB card from any manufacturer, and especially so from Lexar. Imagine losing 1TB of images when the card fails....? Even disregarding the loss of all those images, I know form personal experience how poor the response form Lexar can be regarding a warranty replacement. One of my 32GB Pro cards failed 8 months ago and I’m STILL waiting for a warranty replacement. I’ve had a plethora of excuses, ranging from problems with replacement card labeling, new government rules, new company owner considerations, etc., but still no repacement card. I’ve now asked for a simple cash refund, but no reply yet. So what use is a “lifetime warranty” if it takes a lifetime to get a replacement?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Can’t say I’m thrilled by the prospect of a 1TB card from any manufacturer, and especially so from Lexar. Imagine losing 1TB of images when the card fails....? Even disregarding the loss of all those images, I know form personal experience how poor the response form Lexar can be regarding a warranty replacement. One of my 32GB Pro cards failed 8 months ago and I’m STILL waiting for a warranty replacement. I’ve had a plethora of excuses, ranging from problems with replacement card labeling, new government rules, new company owner considerations, etc., but still no repacement card. I’ve now asked for a simple cash refund, but no reply yet. So what use is a “lifetime warranty” if it takes a lifetime to get a replacement?
Storage devices fail, including CF cards, HDDs, and SSDs. This is why backups are important, and this is why cautious pros demand two card slots. The odds of losing an SD card are much higher than of one failing, in my opinion.

As long as Lexar and other companies make sizes you are comfortable with, why worry about bigger ones?

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a good reminder to be careful. And it would be frustrating to wait so long for a replacement, especially if you kept your receipt, the packaging, the little case, and followed whatever else the fine print demands for the warranty to be honored.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I just got mself a 128 g card, takes about 4000 CRaw images on the R. this is my biggest card ever...I still also use a couple of 32 g cards. On a busy European holiday I filled one 32 G card per day...touch wood I've never had a card fail on me...but I can imagine two 1TB cards in a dual slot camera....one can do A 3 week holiday without bothering to download or take laptops etc etc with...

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Upvote 0