Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.2.0 available for download

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
You can now download firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R.
Enhancements:

Eye-detection AF

Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.

Small AF Frame Size

Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.

Fixes:

Under certain conditions, the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the wireless file transmitter, WFT-E7 was not possible...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I'm currently charging my battery for the update. I'm looking forward to this a lot!
In the Netherlands also available ..Just updated the R and in my opinion the eye detection works flawlessly..
I'm currently charging my battery for the update. I'm looking forward to this a lot!
When you guys say, it works flawlessly; does that mean that it works at the same distance as face recognition or is it still works only at a closer distance than the face detection? thanks,

Upvote 0
Works perfectly, silent shooting and EYE detect in SERVO AF ciao from Italy

I just tried silent shutter for the first time (and upgraded firmware to 1.2), I'm seeing noticeable banding under indoor lighting, led bulbs to be exact. Took the same shot with regular shutter and no banding. Can you please tell me if this is normal? Most of my shooting is indoors so if so, this will render it unusable for me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I just tried silent shutter for the first time (and upgraded firmware to 1.2), I'm seeing noticeable banding under indoor lighting, led bulbs to be exact. Took the same shot with regular shutter and no banding. Can you please tell me if this is normal? Most of my shooting is indoors so if so, this will render it unusable for me.
It’s a known issue with cycling light sources (fluorescent, LED, TV screens, etc., but not for example incandescent lighting) and electronic first curtain (the basis for the silent shutter), it affects all cameras, and will continue to do so until global electronic shutters are implemented (vs. the rolling electronic shutters currently in use).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sure is normal, artificial light have low frequency and fight with shutter speed and the time the sensor needs to acquire the whole frame, this is not a global shutter, use it only with natural light and some (tested) artificial lights (sorry for my English, I hope is clear)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
When you guys say, it works flawlessly; does that mean that it works at the same distance as face recognition or is it still works only at a closer distance than the face detection? thanks,

Yes, the Eye-AF appears to be locking on at same distance in Servo as it does with One-shot (aka non-Servo). It's not like Sony's where it locks onto the eye at extreme distances, which is pointless if you ask me. Could it be a little further, like 3/4? Yes. But I'll take it.

Upvote 0
It’s a known issue with cycling light sources (fluorescent, LED, TV screens, etc., but not for example incandescent lighting) and electronic first curtain (the basis for the silent shutter), it affects all cameras, and will continue to do so until global electronic shutters are implemented (vs. the rolling electronic shutters currently in use).

Sure is normal, artificial light have low frequency and fight with shutter speed and the time the sensor needs to acquire the whole frame, this is not a global shutter, use it only with natural light and some (tested) artificial lights (sorry for my English, I hope is clear)

I understand, thanks.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the heads up! So now the EOS R can shoot silently, with servo AF, in burst mode, with Eye-detect on. Nice!

One strange thing I've noted with mine, and I want to check if other people experience the same. When the burst mode is set to the slower of the two options (sometimes called Focus Priority), Silent shooting is still unavailable. It only works in high-speed burst. A pretty odd caveat...

Upvote 0
In my opinion it works at the same distance as face recognition, to use the words from your question. I think they nailed it with this update..

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
In my opinion it works at the same distance as face recognition, to use the words from your question. I think they nailed it with this update..
Good stuff! I begin saving money for one then. I shoot cosplay photography very often. Hopefully, it will recognize more of them, now that it recognizes the eyes as well. Cosplayers have different "hair cut" makes my DSLR live view confused from time to time. Animal eye focus would work better most probably. Who knows? Eye and face together is good enough for now. My only hesitation so far came from the distance. I shoot photos most of the time 3/4 but video at belly or chest up.

Upvote 0