New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that Canon is working on a new firmware version for the Canon EOS R. One of the things beings worked on is improved eye AF performance, most notably on subjects at a distance.
Outside of that, what else is in the next EOS R firmware version is unknown. There should be the obvious bug fixes, but don’t hold your breath for new significant features.

Continue reading...

I think this is a good sign that the attitude of Canon has been forced to change because of Sony's actions on firmware. From the magic lantern days we know that certain features from newer models would have worked on older models too, but canon never expressed any interest in pushing them back. Software will be just as important as hardware in future bodies, and I hope this willingness to update/upgrade bodies with enhancements continues, instead of just only bug fixes.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I love my R. But I agree with Scott Kelby on one of his recent blog posts that they really need to incorporate focus bracketing. The RP has it, and its just a firmware fix, and right now this is the "flagship" mirrorless camera in the lineup that is 1K more expensive, so no excuses....

Related to that, new lenses with less or no focus breathing would make the focus bracketing feature a bit more useful than it currently is.

Upvote 0
I love my R. But I agree with Scott Kelby on one of his recent blog posts that they really need to incorporate focus bracketing. The RP has it, and its just a firmware fix, and right now this is the "flagship" mirrorless camera in the lineup that is 1K more expensive, so no excuses....

YES!!! Please give us focus bracketing. I’d take that over improved eye-AF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nice to see a firmware update that continues to improve functionality, though this may not be indicative of a change of heart for Canon, but rather a process of refinement for new tech. As the first model in Canon's RF line, I can understand how Canon would continue to improve the tech as they may not have had the experience to be sure of exactly how the R would perform in practical use. Likely this is more a subtle tweak to usability of existing features rather than a broad feature addition. Then again, I could be wrong and the firmware will be EOSR-Frimware-update-version-all-your-hopes-and-dreams.exe

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I too love my EOS R, but improved Eye Auto Focus is most welcome and needed as the Sony Eye and Face Auto Focus is currently so much better than the Canon feature on offer. So, to keep in touch with Sony these improvements are essential, and I’m pleased to hear Canon are now sharing with current owners via firmware updates rather than reserving this for just new models.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I think this is a good sign that the attitude of Canon has been forced to change because of Sony's actions on firmware. From the magic lantern days we know that certain features from newer models would have worked on older models too, but canon never expressed any interest in pushing them back. Software will be just as important as hardware in future bodies, and I hope this willingness to update/upgrade bodies with enhancements continues, instead of just only bug fixes.
I would say that it was Fuji that set the photo world on the path of functionality upgrades vie FW updates. Sony was quicker to catch on with Canon and Nikon only recently rousing themselves from their slumber on this concept.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0