Canon Patent: Potential cooling for a 1 series camera

Canon News has discovered an interesting patent that identifies external accessory based cooling for a 1 series camera body.  While this camera shown in the illustrations is clearly a 1 series camera, it does not appear to be the 1DX Mark III body.  It’s highly possible that this was one of the early attempts to manage heat in the upcoming 1DX Mark III that was later abandoned.

The goal of this patent is to find a way to cool down the camera without increasing the size of the camera, as explained from the patent application;
Conventionally, even in a digital camera, heat generation in an image sensor and an image processing circuit has become a problem due to an increase in pixels of the image sensor and a high frame rate of a moving image. In addition, the camera itself is required to be miniaturized, and there are few parts that release heat. For this reason...

Continue reading...

What Canon needs to come up with is a way to transfer the heat from sensor, processor etc to the battery compartment for people shooting in the winter.
That would help me tons here in Texas. I could just dip the heat sink in a styrofoam cup of ice. Haha.

I have a friend who literally put a ziploc bag of ice on top of his A6300 to keep it from overheating.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It looks like they have a ventilator in the veiw finder? I wonder if cooling the camera while drying the photographer eyes will do any good. Another issue, if they do ventialte the camera in some way, how would that hold with the over all protection of the camera inside? a much better way will be to generate a direct heat sink to the part of the camera which are not touched by the photographer or to add a cooling part simialr to the long range Wi-Fi unit.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
An easy solution would be to eliminate all the video functionality and parts. No more overheating problems. It is after all a stills camera. Then if your a videographer purchase a dedicated video camera which will work much better as is built for that function. Same goes for the 5D cameras.
Not really, mirrorless cameras use the sensor all of the time and have the same overheat issues. My 40D's had some overheat issues, all 5 of them, when used in live view for extended periods.

Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
An easy solution would be to eliminate all the video functionality and parts. No more overheating problems. It is after all a stills camera. Then if your a videographer purchase a dedicated video camera which will work much better as is built for that function. Same goes for the 5D cameras.

Agreed. I wish there was, for example, EOS RPse (EOS RP Stills Edition). No video features at all, but even lower price (close to xxD series).

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Agreed. I wish there was, for example, EOS RPse (EOS RP Stills Edition). No video features at all, but even lower price (close to xxD series).
Right I'm sure that Canon could save a lot of money on manufacturing costs by leaving out the software that allows for video functions on an EOS RP. :rolleyes:

Do you really not realize that a mirrorless stills camera is functionally a video camera? An EOS RP without video capabilities would physically be no different and no cheaper to make than one that captures video. You still need all the processing power to capture a moving image from the sensor and feed it to the EVF or the rear screen. Making an EOS RP that just takes stills would just be handicapping a normal EOS RP by omitting the software that allows for video capture. It would be no cheaper to manufacture.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

I don't get why you people complain so much. The price of adding video features to a camera nowdays is negligible. There are no separate parts (other than the record button), recording video is essentially a software feature, not a hardware one.

If you don't want to shoot video, don't press the button.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Blackmagic Design used Peltier coolers but the caveat was that battery power was drained faster. I'm pretty sure Canon has discussed and tested this. I'm just not sure if anyone has further insight into this.

Peltier cooling would make so much more sense. Fan based cooling implies openings for ventilation with all the resultant implications for dust/dirt/moisture ingress. Even if it were implemented as sealed ducts, there's obvious potential for the ducts to be clogged by dust, and the bulk of the camera would necessarily be increased. Add to this the potential for vibrations from the fan reducing image resolution, plus the fact that in high ambient temperatures it would be considerably less effective.

Upvote 0