image.canon has been down for more than 72 hours, and no one knows why

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*update* Canon issues a statement at image.canon
I have been reminded a couple of times that the image.canon service that launched recently has been down for more than 72 hours now.
The more annoying part is that there has been no explanation from Canon has to why the service is down or when it may come back.
image.canon
SORRY, SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
ただいまサービスは停止中です
This service is currently not available. We apologize for the inconvenience this may has caused you.
ただいまサービスは停止中です。ご迷惑をおかけし、申し訳ございません。
This has definitely been a difficult week for Canon’s communication department.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder if this is why I can’t get my R5 to connect to cloud services. I very much look forward to using this when they have it sorted. Would be the biggest workflow improvement for me in many years.
That would be it. Canon has periodically had issues with their cloud services. I've given up on it.

They are probably updating it for R5 / R6 connectivity.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
This is why cloud services should only be considered as a 2nd or 3rd line “defense”. Always have a physical back-up of everything and important stuff on immediately accessible local storage.

This is a great reminder, though. I should run a Time Machine back-up on my laptop today and need to BU the pictures on my iPhone, as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
This is why cloud services should only be considered as a 2nd or 3rd line “defense”. Always have a physical back-up of everything and important stuff on immediately accessible local storage.

This is a great reminder, though. I should run a Time Machine back-up on my laptop today and need to BU the pictures on my iPhone, as well.

Speaking as a cloud software consultant, cloud can be as reliable or more than local - look at AWS, Salesforce, Apple's services... Google search is effectively "cloud". That said, if Canon is trying to build its own infrastructure for this instead of buying IaaS, that would be dumb IMO.

Upvote 0
That would be it. Canon has periodically had issues with their cloud services. I've given up on it.

They are probably updating it for R5 / R6 connectivity.

Yeah, there are a few companies that keep dabbling in cloud things, and then pull the plug every 18 months; Canon being one of them. I hold out hope that this one is different simply because the functionality outlined is actually useful. This isn't a cloud storage solution, but rather a transfer service, really. Best functional design I've seen yet.

My best case scenario is that they offer a paid version of this. Free things tend to have a short half-life. And that they host it on something like Azure or AWS, so the infrastructure is managed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm looking forward to someone doing a comprehensive guide to the (many) ways you can hook up the modern Canon cameras - in particular the R5 - to web/ftp/cloud/devices, etc. With step-by-step instructions. The Canon manuals are crap for this. If anyone knows of a site that's done that, I'd be very grateful. I have the WFT-R10A grip, and would like to test out the various ways of connecting it, as I don't have a dedicated IT department to do this for me.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Speaking as a cloud software consultant, cloud can be as reliable or more than local - look at AWS, Salesforce, Apple's services... Google search is effectively "cloud". That said, if Canon is trying to build its own infrastructure for this instead of buying IaaS, that would be dumb IMO.

I wasn't necessarily meaning just the reliability of the cloud servers/hardware, but also being able to access "the cloud". Internet and cell service outages/blackouts do happen and not everywhere in the country/world is covered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "you kids get off my lawn", but no tech is 100% reliable 100% of the time and you need to have a plan B and plan C and I don't trust the cloud for 100%/100% access to certain things. That's why ALL of my music and ALL of my pictures reside locally on my iPhone, instead of the cloud.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I wasn't necessarily meaning just the reliability of the cloud servers/hardware, but also being able to access "the cloud". Internet and cell service outages/blackouts do happen and not everywhere in the country/world is covered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "you kids get off my lawn", but no tech is 100% reliable 100% of the time and you need to have a plan B and plan C and I don't trust the cloud for 100%/100% access to certain things. That's why ALL of my music and ALL of my pictures reside locally on my iPhone, instead of the cloud.

From a data security perspective this is 100% wrong. It is near impossible to loose data with big name cloud providers, except for user error and even then they can restore it. This is why coorporations do off-premises cloud backups.
By comparison, it is much more likely that you loose your phone while your computer hard drive fries at the same time.
Of course, you may not always have access to the cloud, but backups can usually be performed opportunistically and don't need to happen instantaneously.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
From a data security perspective this is 100% wrong. It is near impossible to loose data with big name cloud providers, except for user error and even then they can restore it. This is why coorporations do off-premises cloud backups.
By comparison, it is much more likely that you loose your phone while your computer hard drive fries at the same time.
Of course, you may not always have access to the cloud, but backups can usually be performed opportunistically and don't need to happen instantaneously.

Another reason some cannot use the cloud is severe data limitation. In my case a cap on the amount of data per month, after which it gets slammed down to 2G speeds.

If I wanted to back up everything I owned to the cloud, it would require ten years, and I'd be doing no other internet.

• Wow
  • Sad
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I wasn't talking about in the sense of losing data, I was talking about not being able to access it.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Another reason some cannot use the cloud is severe data limitation. In my case a cap on the amount of data per month, after which it gets slammed down to 2G speeds.

If I wanted to back up everything I owned to the cloud, it would require ten years, and I'd be doing no other internet.

It sounds like you're talking about using your phone as the conduit to a backup server. I would hope, when talking about high-res photo and video, you'd have a cable or fiber internet connection. Personally my workflow involves transferring from camera to laptop (via card reader), laptop to NAS (via WiFi), NAS to cloud, and how far down the chain a particular file makes it depends on how permanent I intend for it to be.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It sounds like you're talking about using your phone as the conduit to a backup server. I would hope, when talking about high-res photo and video, you'd have a cable or fiber internet connection. Personally my workflow involves transferring from camera to laptop (via card reader), laptop to NAS (via WiFi), NAS to cloud, and how far down the chain a particular file makes it depends on how permanent I intend for it to be.

Well, I don't. And there's no prospect of such where I live.

I DO have a NAS, but it's under my control and certainly isn't a "cloud." I do back it up, by storing copies of it at other physical locations.

Upvote 0