Canon hit by Maze Ransomware attack, 10TB data allegedly stolen

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The hits keep on coming for Canon. This time it’s a ransomware attack of the Canon USA web site and other Canon USA services.
The ransomware attack includes Canon’s email, Microsoft Teams, the Canon USA web site along with other internal applications. It’s also reported that 10TB of data has been stolen in the attack.
You can read all about this ransomware attack here.

Continue reading...

Or Linux.

In all seriousness, I have an order from the Refurb shop in the pipeline. Or do I?

And presumably they were hanging on to my card number to charge it when it became available...so the hackers now have it.

Keep an eye on your accounts. My card got hit yesterday with a few fraudulent charges.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Or Linux.

In all seriousness, I have an order from the Refurb shop in the pipeline. Or do I?

And presumably they were hanging on to my card number to charge it when it became available...so the hackers now have it.
usually not - they don't hang onto the number (usually). what they do is pre-auth your card and store that transaction id. they then process / complete the transaction when the item ships.

it's actually against visa and mastercard rules to store the full credit card number anywhere.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You usually have to agree unless it is in the cookies.
The credit card processors and companies have rules about how to store your card number. They keep updating the requirements and making it tougher. Finally, I just stopped accepting credit cards and let people use one thru Paypal or Amazon rather than deal with it. Canon has had such tight restrictions on credit card use due to the high value of the transactions that it can be frustrating. I doubt if credit card info would be in any usable form, but if names, addresses, etc were revealed, it can result in fraud and id theft.

Card companies do not allow the CVV to be stored, but a seller can choose to process without a CVV.

Upvote 0