Industry News: You can finally preorder the Zeiss ZX1, but it’ll cost you

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the more interesting cameras announced back in 2018 was the Zeiss ZX1, an Android-powered, fixed-lens full-frame camera. It would appear Zeiss is going after the market that the Leica Q series pretty much sits alone in.
It’s been a long time, but you can finally preorder the Zeiss ZX1, for a cool $6000 USD. When the ZX1 ships is unknown at the time of writing this.

About the Zeiss ZX1:

Modeled after the ethos “Shoot, Edit, Share”, the ZEISS ZX1 is a truly innovative camera with an uncompromising position on all facets of photography. Designed first to be a camera to appeal to the purists, the ZX1 revolves around a full-frame 37.4MP CMOS sensor, which affords high-resolution stills shooting along with 4K video recording. The sensor’s design permits shooting at up to 3 fps and has a broad sensitivity range of ISO 80-51200 to suit working in various lighting conditions...

Continue reading...

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
The technological item that jumps out to me is "integrated SSD". I've seen too many laptops say they have that but then it turns out to be an eMMC, which is just as SD card that's fixed in place. Then all the worries about flaked out cards would apply to the entire camera since yes, eMMC's are terrible. I would hope that for $6k there is a proper SSD but it's hard to tell. Also, look at all the heat complaints with Canon; an integrated storage solution could easily be twice as bad. On the other hand, it could be half as bad if it was engineered with tsolving hat problem in mind.
OK, so really, it all comes down to waiting for someone richer than me to buy one and report their findings on these details.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Whose the target audience for this camera?

One could add $200, and get an R5 & Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4, and gain an f-stop, the versatility of interchangeable lenses, better ergonomics, etc. As for the integrated Lightroom, I can't imagine who would buy this camera and wouldn't buy a smartphone that would be a better editing platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
$6000 for a 2018 camera. I'm thinking of ways to try to justify that move with all the camera announcements that happened between that time and I come empty handed.

Especially with the amount of apps that are available today to for both android and iphone.
Again trying to pinpoint an advantage for this camera over anything else and I don't seem to justify it. Maybe if it was released in 2018, but going to 2021 there is so much more that you can do with 6k

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Whose the target audience for this camera?

One could add $200, and get an R5 & Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4, and gain an f-stop, the versatility of interchangeable lenses, better ergonomics, etc. As for the integrated Lightroom, I can't imagine who would buy this camera and wouldn't buy a smartphone that would be a better editing platform.

Rich folk.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
we have an audience bias here...
This cam is for people who don't like the SD + computer workflow, it's what Tony Northrup is crying after for such a long time.
I hope it will be a success!
When I was on 300 days/yr business travel I was using my EOS M+22mm F2 (3.2 in FF terms). Though I could not edit / download the pictures onto my work laptop.
There are clear use cases for this, or do you think a wealthy person carries a laptop with them or a business traveller a private one?

Upvote 0