Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I can finally post information that I know about Canon’s lens plans for 2021, this information comes from a great source and I would lean on most, if not all of it being accurate.
These lenses are likely next in the pipeline:

Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
External zoom, extremely small size. I’m told it’s about the size of a coke can.
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM
This lens will be better optically and in build quality than the EF version.

These lenses are likely being announced in 2021:
The TS-R lenses are “groundbreaking” autofocus tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount.

Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L
Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM
Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM
Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM.

So there you...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
D

Deleted member 381342

Autofocus tilt shifts are expected, I couldn't imagine Canon making a new mount and not thinking about how to make these possible and MF is a bit wonky for the new toys. And that line up of big whites seems to much for one year. Five big whites for the R1 in one year and not one of them being a ground breaking zoom? Though the 800/5.6 L is long overdue a new model.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
No matter if working through that list takes one, two or three years it shows how much Canon is willing to go into R system. (y)
Would have been nice if just a slice of that effort would have gone in the M system (edit: EF-M lens system).
Then maybe I would be there, too for traveling light and small. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM goes wider than the f/2.8 version. Interesting!

I'm pleased about the 35/1.2.

I'm disappointed that there's no moonshot zoom, of the kind we've talked about for 2 years (14-28/2 or 70-135/2), detailed here.

I think we can guess that the 50/1.8 being "better optically and in build quality than the EF version " means that it will be expensive for what it is. No EF version pricing here! I also suspect that we won't see a 50/1.4 for a long time, if ever, since it would hold an awkward middle ground between a nice-ish 1.8 and the luxury 1.2.

I'm curious about the TS-R glass, but won't consider myself intrigued until I know more ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Impressive, and even if only half of those lenses would be launched next year
And damn, I was hoping there would be 2-3 interesting lenses on that list, not 10+. Looks like I will have to sell all my remaining EF gear... And probably a lot of other stuff as well

Is it known if the 70-200 f/4 will work with extenders? I would guess not as the f/2.8 doesn't, and this is also a compact, external zoom design, but if it is extender compatible and it's as small as described, that would be a phenomenal hiking kit.

5 big whites in one year sounds a bit unrealistic to me tbh. But maybe Canon is just planning an impressive R1 launch

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

hyt

May 28, 2020
No matter if working through that list takes one, two or three years it shows how much Canon is willing to go into R system. (y)
Would have been nice if just a slice of that effort would have gone in the M system. Then maybe I would be there, too for traveling light and small. :unsure:
Agreed. What's the point in bringing out more M bodies if there are no improvements to the native lens lineup.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0