The next firmware for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule for November

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have confirmed that Canon is still on schedule to release new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 in November, I was unable to confirm the same for the Canon EOS R6.
Here’s a reminder for what to expect for the next Canon EOS R5 firmware.

Canon Cinema RAW light addition
C-Log 3
1080p @ 120fps
Further tweaking of temperature control
Bug fixes
Other codecs are being worked on, but may not arrive in time for the November release.

I have corrected the post, I previously mentioned C-Log 2, but that is not confirmed.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Dec 25, 2017
I must say, I am very interested in fhd 120. If the dynamic range is fine, it could be a great option.
I think slowmotion is always a super easy way to improve boring footage that you get at the typical event one may film. Also good for imagefilms.
A good FHD image should be good enough when it comes to detail... sadly canon is not that great in that area, given the awful FHD image tht the 5D IV and 1DX II produce.
lets hope for the best. Could be a good alternative to 4k120 which is sadly SUPER quick to overheat. External recording would be nice as well, but I think thats limited due to hardware? 4k120 external would be great...

Upvote 0
I’d love to see three things: recording cropped raw, recording cropped that is not rescaled in camera, and option to choose between APS-C crop and actual super 35 crop.

cropped raw is pretty straightforward. It’s the same as 8K raw, except not the whole frame.

cropped recording that is not rescaled in camera, the same as well. Instead of scaling cropped recording to 4K, give us the option to just record it directly at the native sensor size, I.e. 5.1K. Most NLEs have no problem dealing with this. Let me decide if I want to rescale it or do an extraction in post.

choosing between cropped sizes, again, this is pretty straightforward. If I have an APS-C lens, let me record with canons standard 1.6x crop, but if I’m shooting with a set of super35 lenses, let me pick the slightly bigger super35 crop size., whatever the crop size, just record out at that size and let me deal with rescaling or cropping in in post.

the first two will also likely help with heat generation. Canon if you’re reading this, pretty please.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
one thing most video user didnt know they really need is the new codec. i hope its h265 10bit 4:2:0 codec . because it support hardware encoding by gpu manufacture such as nvidia & amd. it deliver smoother editing process. it still 10 bit so it still give smoother color gradation than 8bit just less color accurate & most people won't really notice it anyway . Current 10 bit 4:2:2 didnt support hardware encoding which make editing such a pain even editing at 1/4 quality.

Upvote 0
  • Other codecs are being worked on, but may not arrive in time for the November release.

I'm intrigued. Likely talking about H265 10bit 4:2:0 like the A7SIII also can do. Unrealistic, but dream would be XF-AVC, however likely reserved for the Cinema line of cameras.
Also, delighted to see CLOG 2, not just CLOG 3 which was the only one mentioned in early rumors. Makes it easier to cut into Cinema line cameras.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
For the Canon veterans, are their firmware updates usually fine to install on day 1? For most other things besides cameras I usually wait a month before downloading the latest firmware/software.
Usualy I dont, even though I never read/heard on any problems with canon firmware in the 10 years I use canon DSLRs though. Usualy I wait 2-3 weeks and check out reviews. At least, if its a new camera and a camera that I may rely on in the next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I must say, I am very interested in fhd 120. If the dynamic range is fine, it could be a great option.
I think slowmotion is always a super easy way to improve boring footage that you get at the typical event one may film. Also good for imagefilms.
A good FHD image should be good enough when it comes to detail... sadly canon is not that great in that area, given the awful FHD image tht the 5D IV and 1DX II produce.
lets hope for the best. Could be a good alternative to 4k120 which is sadly SUPER quick to overheat. External recording would be nice as well, but I think thats limited due to hardware? 4k120 external would be great...
Agreed. 4k120 is really nice but it does overheat quickly. Can anyone clarify if the 4k120 is line skipped or pixel binned or is it downscaled 8k?
HD/120 should also be able to be recorded to both SD/CFe cards as well (Cinema lite as well?)
4k120 should be able to be recorded externally if cinema lite is implemented. I believe that uncompressed 4k120 bit rate is too high for the HDMI port

Upvote 0
one thing most video user didnt know they really need is the new codec. i hope its h265 10bit 4:2:0 codec . because it support hardware encoding by gpu manufacture such as nvidia & amd. it deliver smoother editing process. it still 10 bit so it still give smoother color gradation than 8bit just less color accurate & most people won't really notice it anyway . Current 10 bit 4:2:2 didnt support hardware encoding which make editing such a pain even editing at 1/4 quality.
This has been the reason that I haven't upgraded my PC yet. It looks like only the Apple ARM processor supports H265 4:2:2 in hardware at the moment although I am sure that the GPU guys are working on an upgrade. Thankfully I am only taking short clips.

Upvote 0
Cinema RAW Light sounds interesting. 4K RAW would be excellent as well. I'm more interested in 4K features TBH. The files are so large already... as a hobbyist it's difficult to sustain the storage requirements. :LOL:
"4K raw" isn't possible unless cropped from 8k raw. Reviewers have been very happy with 4kHQ. With CLOG2/3 it should be close to be as flexible as a RAW file in post. Cinema lite should address the storage requirements but processor intensive for compressing/decompressing.

Upvote 0