Is a Canon RF 60mm f/1.0L USM on the way? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Watch is reporting that a Canon RF 60mm f/1.0L USM is possibly on the way. This lens does not appear on my RF lens roadmap, nor have we seen any patents for such an optical formula yet.
Is it possible? Sure, why not? If you believe your mount is the best, you need to flex those muscles every now and then.
While it is close to the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM in speed and focal length, I imagine an RF 60mm f/1.0L USM would provide a very unique look to photos. Throw in defocus smoothing and you could have something special.
For now, this is a [CR1] rating, but I will do some digging to figure out the validity of this rumor.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Darn again! Right after I got the RF 50 1.2L you come out with this?!? :mad:

60mm is a fl I am not used to - ok scratch that, I have the HC 100mm which with my digital back translates to 62mm FOV... and I do like it. Yes it's not the same thing but hmmmm...

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't stress out too much :rolleyes:

Let's see the cost (assuming it will ever come out) and the entity of my bonus :ROFLMAO:

I've always salivated after the mythical EF 50mm 1.0 but was always put off by the risk of losing it due to the impossibility of repairs... this one might bring me to the bright side

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Eye detection and tracking autofocus has made ensuring your subject's eyes are in focus an absoljte breeze, makes it far easier to use lenses like this.

Yes, the eyes will be in focus.

The tip of the nose and the edges of the ear? Not so much.

Indeed, I wonder if the eyebrows will be in focus at F1.0

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Yes, the eyes will be in focus.

The tip of the nose and the edges of the ear? Not so much.

Indeed, I wonder if the eyebrows will be in focus at F1.0
It is always a matter of crop. At full-body you see pretty much everything, at a head-shot, you see exactly as you described it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
yeeea, like! For portraits I would even slightly prefer 60 over 50mm.

(But any lens really works well for portraits)

(Oh my gosh, Canon, this RF-thing is starting to get a bit expensive, slowly but surely: 35 1.2, 50 1.2, 60 1.0, 85 1.2, R3 ...)
You don't need two kidneys, do you?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
We have a Nikon for $8k, why would Canon's equivalent be half the price?
Canon's is f/1.0 - but more importantly manufacturing such a lens today is easier than previously. In 2000 you could buy the 50 f/1.0 new for around2.500$ street. They could roll it out for $8-10-12K whatever - but it would have extremely few buyers and be more a collectors item at such prices. As I wrote, you will not be able to see any difference to the 85mm f/1.2 except at very short distances - so no real photographic reason to get it imho. So given the RF 50mm and 85mm f/1.2's prices its my guess.

Upvote 0