Canon officially announces the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, June 29, 2021– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens. This dramatic new lens brings 14mm, ultra-wide-angle coverage to full-frame EOS R-series users. On top of the ultra-wide capabilities, the 14-35mm zoom range is the broadest ever in a Canon wide-angle zoom for full-frame AF cameras. For many Canon users, one single lens can potentially handle all wide-angle needs, from vivid, creative ultra-wide imagery to traditional street photography.
The new wide-angle lens is designed for use within the expanding family of EOS R full-frame mirrorless cameras, including the upcoming EOS R3, currently in development. Whether you capture stills, video, or like many creatives today – both – this new wide-angle lens from Canon can help elevate users’ content game when capturing images or video in a wide variety of...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
This looks like a lovely wide zoom lens, Canon have produced a beauty pushing the lens a couple of mm wider. 5.5 stops of IS and 7 stops coupled with IBIS bodies and keeping the weight down to just 540g which is very pleasing, I would love this lens.

However, Wow! It is priced in the UK to pre order at £1749, I might be getting tighter in my old age, but it seems like a lot of money for an f/4 lens in this range, but I think I'll still buy it eventually to replace my 17-40 mm

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The price was certainly a little higher than I anticipated it would be, but I still bought the lens. Ultra wide lenses help me make a large portion of my income between races with real estate photography. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate 14mm and not having to adapt my damn 16-35 anymore. This will be great to use and I am honestly sad I have to wait a minimum of a month before I can get my hands on it!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
With early estimates of this lens's price range being $1199-1399, like others I was surprised to see the $1699.00 MSRP projection. Still, I did pre-order because I like the specs. However, this may not bode well for pricing of the EOS R3 and I'm now afraid Canon will price it on the high side, as well, closer to $6k instead of the $5-5500.00 range many of us were hoping for. Prove me wrong, Canon.......

Update: I was really hoping and waiting for the rumored RF 10-24 F4L but seeing that it apparently isn't coming anytime soon, I decided to bite the bullet on the RF 14-35. I figure that I can always sell the 14-35 once the 10-24 is available. Since I don't own an EF 16-35, this made sense to me, in spite of the RF's high price. It now appears that there may be a delay on the anticipated ship date of Aug 8 for the RF 100 mm F2.8 L is macro that I pre-ordered on Jun 1, when ordering was made available. There was no delay on my orders for both the R6 body and RF 24-105 F4L is lens. It took two months to get the RF 800 F11 once I ordered it. I only purchased the R6 to tide me over until I can get my hands on the R3, after Canon Price watch provided a link offering a $200.00 seller discount and a sales tax credit back on the R6, for a combined saving of almost $400.00 on the transaction. Plus, I figure I can always keep the R6 as a back up to the R3. I briefly considered an R5 but opted for the R6 instead, when my bank account started crying over my R5 consideration, knowing that I hope to be picking up the R3 as soon as it's available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
This looks like a lovely wide zoom lens, Canon have produced a beauty pushing the lens a couple of mm wider. 5.5 stops of IS and 7 stops coupled with IBIS bodies and keeping the weight down to just 540g which is very pleasing, I would love this lens.

However, Wow! It is priced in the UK to pre order at £1749, I might be getting tighter in my old age, but it seems like a lot of money for an f/4 lens in this range, but I think I'll still buy it eventually to replace my 17-40 mm
Wow I got my RF15-35 a little cheaper than this!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
Like others, I'm surprised by the price. Only $600 less than the faster RF 15-35. One millimeter with less volume and weight comes at a high cost despite the loss of speed. Clearly an alternative to the RF 15-35 as opposed to an addition.

No doubt the extra 1mm will be very important to some, but I would have sacrificed it for further reductions in size, weight, and/or cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Far too expensive.

No way I can justify upgrading from the EF 16-35 F/4 - especially when that lens performs so well.
I honestly think that Canon believes that’s what you should do then. Unfortunately, I think their mindset is that if you want something more affordable, there is nearly zero compromise to using the EF lens other than the addition length and “hassle” of the adaptor. I really don’t see any reason to upgrade from the 16-35 you have now unless you were unhappy with the image quality or you thought you would benefit from the additional 2mm on the wide end.

My biggest disappointment with the RF mount is that their “affordable” lenses -particularly the zooms- are basically terrible. The 24-105 variable apaerture lens and 24-240 aren’t winning any image quality awards.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
edit:In Germany it is 1.819,00 €! Holy smoke!
Considering sales rebate (like 10% off Canon EF glass at some foto stores), It is actually twice the price compared to the EF 16-35mm F4...
That is just absolutely insane. Consumers should really not order the lense until reasonable pricing is introduced...
I thought this was going to be my very first RF lens but at that price point I am going to have to hold on to my EF 16-35 f/4 just that bit longe
I would have been my third RF lense but I'm actually back on eBay looking for a used copy of the EF 16-35mm F4...

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
I miss the good old times when F4 zooms were the affordable choice...

Yes, it is almost like Canon has detected that people prefer the slower, high quality, lenses and has decided to charge more for them.

While the R5 & R6 sales may have surprised them, I don't know how those camera owners are going to feel looking at this lens.

But once they discontinue the 16-35/f4L, people will have no choice.

With price rises like this, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Canon wanted to chase away buyers.

Upvote 0