More Cinema EOS news, this time the successor to the Canon Cinema EOS C700FF

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been a lot of information about upcoming Canon Cinema EOS products recently. We have learned about the Cinema EOS C200 Mark II and EOS R7 C in the last week or so.
We have been told that a successor to the Canon Cinema EOS C700FF will come in 8K glory after the Cinema EOS C200 Mark II announcement.
Canon Cinema EOS C700FF Mark II

8K Full-Frame Sensor
DGO
240fps in 6K
120fps in 8K
Similar body style to the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II
EF and PL mount versions will both have an RF mount “underneath”
Canon EU-V2 features built into the body

More to come…

Continue reading...

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
If both the EF and PL mounts have an RF mount underneath, does that mean that it's possible to, for example, change from EF to PL mount by using a PL adapter to replace an EF adapter that came with the camera or using RF lenses by removing the EF adapter?

Any word on the price, except perhaps "more than I'm willing to spend"?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2014
Place your bets. With the chip shortage and the original C700 launching at $28k, I'm gonna guess that this new camera will be their flagship, aimed squarely at the Venice/Alexa Mini, and will easily cost over $35k.
$25k. If it were to be $35k, they would call it the C900. In fact, I bet the main reason they aren’t calling it the C500 III is because they want to charge at C700 levels. The C700 was supposed to be their large production camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
$25k. If it were to be $35k, they would call it the C900. In fact, I bet the main reason they aren’t calling it the C500 III is because they want to charge at C700 levels. The C700 was supposed to be their large production camera.
Interesting theory. I'd be surprised if it was actually cheaper than the original price of the C700, but looking at today's price of the C500 II, which is currently sitting at $16k, suddenly $25k sounds like it makes sense.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a c500 3?
The c700 was the most massive dud.
If this really is the same “c300” style body with a c700 price I don’t see it as a winner. The market wants a “box” camera at this price. Call it a c500mk3 ,price it accordingly, and it’ll be a hit. Otherwise I fear the c700ii may suffer the same fate as its predecessor.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This sounds like a c500 3?
The c700 was the most massive dud.
If this really is the same “c300” style body with a c700 price I don’t see it as a winner. The market wants a “box” camera at this price. Call it a c500mk3 ,price it accordingly, and it’ll be a hit. Otherwise I fear the c700ii may suffer the same fate as its predecessor.
I interpret "Canon EU-V2 features built into the body" to mean that the body would be significantly bigger

Upvote 0
“I interpret "Canon EU-V2 features built into the body" to mean that the body would be significantly bigger”

Agreed. But the “style” of the body dates back to the original c300. Its unique to Canon, and in high end circles is considered prosumer. Not something you’d see on high end shoot. The c700 was some what an extended version of that style that tried to go against a full size Arri Alexa. The problem is it was late to market as the Arri mini had arrived which handily out sold the full size Alexa. The market had spoken.
I love Canon, but they March to the beat of their own drum. Sometimes for better. Sometimes not. By the specs it looks good. But with that body I’d rather have a raptor or used Venice or Mini for a touch more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
“I interpret "Canon EU-V2 features built into the body" to mean that the body would be significantly bigger”

Agreed. But the “style” of the body dates back to the original c300. Its unique to Canon, and in high end circles is considered prosumer. Not something you’d see on high end shoot. The c700 was some what an extended version of that style that tried to go against a full size Arri Alexa. The problem is it was late to market as the Arri mini had arrived which handily out sold the full size Alexa. The market had spoken.
I love Canon, but they March to the beat of their own drum. Sometimes for better. Sometimes not. By the specs it looks good. But with that body I’d rather have a raptor or used Venice or Mini for a touch more.
What is it about the "style" of the body that makes it appear prosumer to high end circles? Are cinematographers so used to one configuration that they find a different configuration unnerving?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
What is it about the "style" of the body that makes it appear prosumer to high end circles? Are cinematographers so used to one configuration that they find a different configuration unnerving?
Not “unnerving”, harder to work with. Harder to rig and attach accessories and other necessary equipment. I loved the image from my C300, but what an awful design that was a nightmare to shoot with. Even as they’ve squared-off/“boxed” their newer cameras, they’re still not as easy to shoot with as say a VariCam, F55, Amira, etc.

Upvote 0
This is somewhat deviating from the earlier rumors of a C700DR and very similar to a C500S, but with higher frame rates.

https://www.canonrumors.com/whats-next-for-the-canon-cinema-eos-line-2/

Canon Cinema EOS C300S​

• 8K Super 35mm
  • 8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
  • BSI Stacked 3.2um 8K DGO Sensor
  • Dual Pixel Autofocus
  • 16 Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
  • 10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode
  • Dual DIGIC DV 8 Image Processor

Canon Cinema EOS C500S​

• 8K Full Frame
  • 8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
  • BSI Stacked 4.65um 8K DGO Sensor
  • Dual Pixel Autofocus
  • 17+ Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
  • 10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode

Canon Cinema EOS C700DR​

• 4K Full Frame
  • 4K/240p in Fast Mode, 4K/180p in WDR Mode
  • BSI Stacked 9.6um 4K WDR Sensor
  • 20+ Stops Dynamic Range in WDR Mode
  • 5ms Readout in 4K WDR Mode

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
If both the EF and PL mounts have an RF mount underneath, does that mean that it's possible to, for example, change from EF to PL mount by using a PL adapter to replace an EF adapter that came with the camera or using RF lenses by removing the EF adapter?

Any word on the price, except perhaps "more than I'm willing to spend"?
I would imagine it’s exactly that. Otherwise, why have the RF mount in it? Yes, it’s convenient to be able to change between EF and PL by removing them from the RF mount, but Canon is obviously moving to RF everywhere it can. This is actually a brilliant idea.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Depending on how the future plays out in terms of Crypto mining, the chip shortage should be coming to an end or at least easing up. A huge part of it was driven by crypto mining/ miners buying up thousands of systems/ mining rigs putting huge drags on the PC space and the fabs to make all of the parts.
Currently, with crypto crashing hard and miners selling off all of their gear, there seems to be a bit of a reset atm.
That being said, if crypto pops off again, we'll likely see similar demand

Upvote 0
I interpret "Canon EU-V2 features built into the body" to mean that the body would be significantly bigger
This makes sense. The C700 II will basically have a the EU-V2 built in with the additional XLR inputs, battery mount, and probably some advanced controllers and i/o ports that will make it more adaptable for multicamera and efx production environments. A year later, a stripped down version will be released as a C500 III.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0