Looking to buy, sell or trade used gear? Check out our new partner MPB

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Rumors partner MPB is a great place to buy, sell and trade your camera gear.
Do you have gear to sell or trade? MPB makes it simple with an instant estimated quote on your used gear. They provide you with a shipping label to send the gear in and once it is checked over, you can either take the money or you can used it as credit to trade for different gear.
This way of doing things also takes a lot of the hassle out of the buying, selling and trading process required by other methods.
MPB also offers a 6-month warranty on most of their cameras and lenses.
MPB services the United States, United Kingdom and European Union with dedicated stores for Germany and France. The rest of the EU is served through a dedicated EU portal...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Good company - I've bought several (discontinued) secondhand lenses from them in the past, and their descriptions of an item's condition are always very accurate. Also, they usually offer me a reasonable amount when I sell them something.

But it's worth mentioning, that it's nearly always cheaper and more sensible to buy a *brand new and fully guaranteed* item from a reliable grey exporter, than to pay the high prices charged by MPB for secondhand goods. Just be choosy about which grey exporter/importer you use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Good company - I've bought several (discontinued) secondhand lenses from them in the past, and their descriptions of an item's condition are always very accurate. Also, they usually offer me a reasonable amount when I sell them something.

But it's worth mentioning, that it's nearly always cheaper and more sensible to buy a *brand new and fully guaranteed* item from a reliable grey exporter, than to pay the high prices charged by MPB for secondhand goods. Just be choosy about which grey exporter/importer you use.
You can't have it both ways - if they offer you what you think is a reasonable price for your used gear, then for them to make a profit, they have to charge a higher price when they sell it on! I agree with you that they are good firm to deal with. I regularly sell my used gear to them as they do offer a reasonable price and are fair. I've bought from then and they have been good about returns with no quibble.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
You can't have it both ways - if they offer you what you think is a reasonable price for your used gear, then for them to make a profit, they have to charge a higher price when they sell it on! I agree with you that they are good firm to deal with. I regularly sell my used gear to them as they do offer a reasonable price and are fair. I've bought from then and they have been good about returns with no quibble.
If I want a product that is still in production, it doesn't make any sense to buy secondhand, because I can nearly always buy it cheaper, brand new, from the HK grey exporter that has served me well for 10 years.

If I want to sell a product, MPB will give me a good price, and it's nice to know that they'll thoroughly check it and provide an accurate description to whoever buys it from them in due course.

The only time when I personally would buy a secondhand item from *anyone*, is when that item is discontinued or unavailable new (e.g. EF 180mm macro, or previous iteration big whites), and that is when I'd buy from MPB.

Upvote 0

I tried going through their quoting process on a couple of items (600EX-RT, 300/2.8L II IS USM) and it seems that they will offer you about 60-65% of the price that they will sell it for later. That will have to cover their handling, checking, storage, listing and warranty costs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If I want a product that is still in production, it doesn't make any sense to buy secondhand, because I can nearly always buy it cheaper, brand new, from the HK grey exporter that has served me well for 10 years.

If I want to sell a product, MPB will give me a good price, and it's nice to know that they'll thoroughly check it and provide an accurate description to whoever buys it from them in due course.

The only time when I personally would buy a secondhand item from *anyone*, is when that item is discontinued or unavailable new (e.g. EF 180mm macro, or previous iteration big whites), and that is when I'd buy from MPB.
I agree with you 100% about buying new from grey market rather than used when available. I have had used bargains from MPB and Wex.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I bought a lot from them. At very good prices, and always could rely on their product description.
Only trouble is, they sometimes charge almost as much for a used one as you'd pay for a brand-new item.
Sadly, Hong Kong is not interesting for mainland Europeans. Advantage: Brittain. (The exception which confirms the rule)

entoman: I just bought my EF 180 macro from them...​

Upvote 0
I´ve bought several lenses from MPB and they all were in the condition "as promised". I am absolutely fine with their prices on gear when I buy from them. I've never sold a lens to MPB though because I always got more money either on eBay or other camera stores in Germany, given they have a resell department.

For example: I sold my RF 600mm F11 for 530 € to a camera store while MPB offered me 430-450 € (several attempts). On eBay (where I originally bought it from) the lens sells for 580 - 630 €. I got mine for 575 € back win 2021.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I bought a lot from them. At very good prices, and always could rely on their product description.
Only trouble is, they sometimes charge almost as much for a used one as you'd pay for a brand-new item.
Sadly, Hong Kong is not interesting for mainland Europeans. Advantage: Brittain. (The exception which confirms the rule)

entoman: I just bought my EF 180 macro from them...​

That's interesting, as I sold my EF 180mm to them a few weeks ago. You may even have my old lens, in which case I hope you enjoy using it!

Upvote 0

I've got some good deals secondhand that's been a lot cheaper then brand new grey market lenses but often I do find a lot of used lenses in Australia are priced very close or even higher then a new grey market lens. What's the link to your HK grey exporter?

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I buy most photo equipment basically near-mint used person-to-person, take care of it, and sell it for near what I paid. eBay, PayPal, or other auction sites take a 10% cut or whatever, and maybe I cause 10% depreciation, but then I usually gain several percent by being patient, buying low, and selling high. Say it costs me 15% of retail price to own something? This shop takes 30% perhaps, plus again the 10% depreciation? I'd end up paying 2-3x more for my photographic equipment than I currently do.

Upvote 0
I used this company earlier this year, and was very satisfied with the results. Price that you'll get for used equipment is less than the person to person market, you also get the peace of mind of not having to sift through the scammers to (hopefully) get to the real purchaser. At the same time, their purchase costs are really fair. I used this company to help with my purge of a bunch of old APS-C equipment and purchase of RF glass. I don't have any complaints.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I generally sell locally on Craigslist, but recently have had a few items not sell after listing for fair prices (lower than MPB/KEH/B&H/Adorama used, but above what MBP/KEH offer to buy).

Full disclosure, my first experience with MPB was a bad one. The initial part was fine – online quote, shipping label provided, items received. Despite their promise of 2-3 business days, I heard nothing for 6 business days so I emailed them. They replied a couple of hours later with the email requesting my banking information, which I provided. The next day I received an email saying payment had been made and would be deposited within two business days. The funds didn't arrive, so I emailed them again and they replied they would look into it. Again I did not hear back, so a day later I emailed them and they said they were having trouble with their bank making payments and were looking into it. They did eventually get it sorted, but in all it was about 3 weeks between them receiving the gear and me actually getting paid.

I have subsequently used MPB for other gear on a couple of occasions, and that went wha seems like the norm for them - about 5 business days from them receiving it to the money being in my account, and I did not have to email them several times to move things along.

For those selling gear, it's worth checking KEH as well. The offers vary, for some items one or the other will offer ~10% more. If it matters, KEH's evaluation and payment timelines are a bit longer than MPB's, and MBP does a direct bank (ACH) transfer, while KEH uses PayPal.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've got some good deals secondhand that's been a lot cheaper then brand new grey market lenses but often I do find a lot of used lenses in Australia are priced very close or even higher then a new grey market lens. What's the link to your HK grey exporter?
I recommend this company so often that people must think they pay me - but I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I used this company earlier this year, and was very satisfied with the results. Price that you'll get for used equipment is less than the person to person market, you also get the peace of mind of not having to sift through the scammers to (hopefully) get to the real purchaser. At the same time, their purchase costs are really fair. I used this company to help with my purge of a bunch of old APS-C equipment and purchase of RF glass. I don't have any complaints.
I've sold a few items person to person, and yes I do generally get more for it that way. But I prefer to sell to a reputable secondhand dealer even if I get a lower price. It gives me peace of mind, because I know that the next owner will have a repair guarantee from the dealer, if the gear develops a fault, and that's something I can't provide personally.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I recommend this company so often that people must think they pay me - but I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Link is from GB, so I assume you think in pounds?

I got my R5 for 385,000 yen, mint used, inc. tax and shipping, with 1 week return. That's GBP2352. Your site is asking GBP3050.

That's not just 30% more, because the price of gear isn't the purchase price, it's the purchase price minus the sale price.

Assuming the camera is sold in X years for JPY269,500 which is GBP1645, your shop ends up costing TWICE as much to own.

I'd either have to double what I spend on my hobby, or have half the camera and half the lenses. Neither option sounds enticing.

Upvote 0