Patent: Canon takes the selfie stick to the next level

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here is an interesting patent that we never thought we’d see from Canon. This one is for a “selfie stick” with all sorts of controls. You can extend, retract and change the angle of the camera on the end. You also have control over the shutter button.
Could this be the next unique product from Canon to follow the PowerShot Zoom and PowerShot Pick?
Canon Patent P2021040089

An object of the present invention is to provide an imaging device capable of adjusting the composition in real time when taking a selfie.
An imaging apparatus as one aspect of the present invention includes an imaging unit, an extendable rod attached to the imaging unit, a grip provided on the rod, and a target composition and a current composition of the imaging...

Continue reading...

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
That’s not a patent. It’s a published patent application. (Let me know if you ever need help from a patent attorney).

A published application will start with the year. A US patent will be 8 digits starting with 11 or thereabouts.

International gets complicated but look for WO or PCT if in doubt.

Upvote 0
The mere existence of the patent highlights how self-possessed people have become. Maybe an upside would be that the intense concentration on composition will help more narcissists back over the edge of a cliff .
A bit extreme. People deserve to come to harm because they want to take a photo that they themselves are in?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
That’s not a patent. It’s a published patent application. (Let me know if you ever need help from a patent attorney).

A published application will start with the year. A US patent will be 8 digits starting with 11 or thereabouts.

International gets complicated but look for WO or PCT if in doubt.
I assume you were responding to my comment. I know the difference between an application and a patent quite well as I hold 17 patents, but for purposes of my comment, it makes no difference. My point was that someone (in this case Canon) thought there was enough interest in selfies to put the effort into the application and that perceived interest simply points out the level of narcissism that exists in society today. A whole line of printers named Selphy is only more evidence of the global narcissism. The current turn of speech "me and him did such and such" as opposed to "he and I did such and such" is yet another example of the disease, not to mention grossly poor English. Last, but not least we have iPhone, iPad, etc. At least (maybe in honor of ee cummings) Apple put the I in lower case :).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
He could have been responding to the OP:

Your assumption that he was responding to your comment makes the rest of your post rather I-ronic. :censored:
Sorry, missed that. His comment was immediately following mine and none of the previous comments had suggested that the app was a patent.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I assume you were responding to my comment. I know the difference between an application and a patent quite well as I hold 17 patents, but for purposes of my comment, it makes no difference. My point was that someone (in this case Canon) thought there was enough interest in selfies to put the effort into the application and that perceived interest simply points out the level of narcissism that exists in society today. A whole line of printers named Selphy is only more evidence of the global narcissism. The current turn of speech "me and him did such and such" as opposed to "he and I did such and such" is yet another example of the disease, not to mention grossly poor English. Last, but not least we have iPhone, iPad, etc. At least (maybe in honor of ee cummings) Apple put the I in lower case :).
You must be fun at parties.

Upvote 0