42MP Sony sensor released in another camera... **and it's not a Nikon**

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Between this and the Sigma 20mm Art rumor, today is full of surprises:

http://photorumors.com/2015/10/14/sony-rx1r-ii-camera-with-42mp-full-frame-sensor-announced/

Looks like the original RX1/RX1R + the RX100 v4 pop-up EVF + that 42MP Sony hotness.

Fixed lens, of course, so this is a prestige-level toy for half the price of a Leica, but hey. When you are the only player in FF mirrorless (under $4k), you get to screw around with things like this.

- A

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,240
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 5,011
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,296

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
xps said:
ahsanford said:
xps said:
Expensive. 42 MP in such an small body. I think this is WR.

The variable low pass filter seems to be really innovative.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/91ah/feature.html?contentsTop=1

WR = ?

world record

Sure, but this isn't truly 'new' design-wise. They did they same thing with the original 36MP a7R sensor in the RX1R. This is really just a refresh with that newer sensor.

- A

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
Anyone know what's up with that funky lens hood?

It is a ventilated hood, these were popular on rangefinder cameras (Leica and others), because it allowed you to see through the hood and didn't block the viewfinder as much. The Fujifilm X100-series has the same type of hood. For a camera like the RX1 which has an EVF it is purely for the retro look.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
HoodlessShooter said:
brad-man said:
Anyone know what's up with that funky lens hood?

It is a ventilated hood, these were popular on rangefinder cameras (Leica and others), because it allowed you to see through the hood and didn't block the viewfinder as much. The Fujifilm X100-series has the same type of hood. For a camera like the RX1 which has an EVF it is purely for the retro look.

Right -- I always forget the framing for those are so nutty compared to what we get with a pentaprism (i.e. 'viewfinder TTL').

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I keep forgetting that the 36 MP Sony sensors in Nikons came out in Nikon bodies first, as the A7 platform was still in development.

With this gen, of course, Sony bodies got the sensor hotness first:

A7R II: June 10, 2015

RX1R II: October 15, 2015

Nikon D820/D850/D900/whatever: [Crickets]

I appreciate that you can't just design a camera body and slap in a sensor when it becomes available. I also appreciate that the Nikon is worth waiting for compared to the Sony -- the Nikon variant of these Sony sensors (D800/D800E/D810) are generally regarded as better top-to-bottom cameras for a host of reasons.

But there comes a point that the new sensor hotness ain't so new and hot anymore. What happens if the Nikon D820/D850/D900/Dwhatever doesn't come out until a year after the A7R II?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
Wow! Now _there's_ an Image Making Machine!!

I hope the trolls will not try to convince us that it can't meet their expectations since it has the wrong nameplate, or somesuch silliness.

It's a lot of high-end tech, but a fixed lens camera for $3,295? That's a niche product, regardless of whatever IQ it can reel in.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sony Introduces RX1R II Camera with 42.4 MP Full-Frame Image Sensor

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7600509041/sony-announces-rx1r-ii-full-frame-compact-camera

"Unlike the focal plane shutter common to interchangeable lens cameras, RX1R II utilizes an in-lens shutter, allowing 1/2000 sec flash synch speed."

We're discussing the camera itself on another thread, but I felt this single spec was worth discussing.

I'm not familiar with this, but I am all too familiar with running into my 5D3's pedestrian sync speed limits.

Does an in-lens shutter mean it's like a leaf shutter for MF lenses? Is that how they're pulling this off?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dylan777 said:
This is what mirrorless body style should be - not a7 II , not a7r II and not a7s II.

Agree, but it depends on what you want:

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to do everything an SLR can, you get an A7.

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to get FF IQ in a tiny camera, you get this.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ahsanford said:
Dylan777 said:
This is what mirrorless body style should be - not a7 II , not a7r II and not a7s II.

Agree, but it depends on what you want:

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to do everything an SLR can, you get an A7.

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to get FF IQ in a tiny camera, you get this.

- A

I do not see any issues holding a7, a7r and a7s body style. If Sony has added pop-up EVF to it, I think it even better.

New a7 bodies are getting bigger and heavier. Both shutter and aperture dials are tiny and feel cheap. There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dylan777 said:
There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

For you, you mean. That's not a categorical statement.

Many folks welcome mirrorless for other reasons -- EVFs like heads-up displays with added info (like real-time histo, focus-peaking, etc.), amplified EVF for low-light, no mirror-slap, wider spread of AF points, less mechanical components that could wear out or fail, etc.

I happen to agree with you -- just playing Devil's Advocate for those who compare their A7 rigs head-to-head against the D8X0 and 5D rigs.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Dylan777 said:
There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

I'd actually prefer my mirrorless be a little bigger (larger grip, larger batteries).

ahsanford mentioned some of the advantages which I'll echo: silent shutter, practically limitless possibilities for what to display in the VF, manual focus magnification in the VF, the ability to use sonnar-type wide angle lenses etc.

The amplified VF for dark shooting is difficult since it gets so noisy (at least with mine), but it makes possible what I could not do with OVF.

etc.

Upvote 0