50mm f1.4 group photo

B

bearbooth

Hi all, new here and new to photography

Just need to ask a simple question.......
I recently took a group photo (around 8 people) using 5D3 with a 50mm 1.4 but it came out blur except where I was focused. I think I was standing around 3m.......kept backing up until I got everyone into frame.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/20
Av( Aperture Value ) 9.0
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 12800
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF50mm f/1.4 USM
Focal Length 50.0mm
Image Size 2880x1920
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
White balance compensation A2, 0
AF Mode One-Shot AF
AF area select mode Spot AF
Picture Style Auto

any suggestion would be grateful. Thanks

is it camera shake? I cant really get away with handheld at a 1/20 speed right?

Attachments

• 594B2870.JPG
    594B2870.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 4,137
Mar 25, 2011
bearbooth said:

I recently took a group photo (around 8 people) using 5D3 with a 50mm 1.4 but it came out blur except where I was focused.

AV, AWB, f9, ISO auto, one shot, using only the centre AF point.
basically, my wife and her two friends next to her were pretty sharp but the people on the ends were blurry.

I tried with all the AF points on but it just auto focused on the couple of people closer to the camera.

Can you post the photo or a link with exif info? There are several possibilities.
How close were you?
The camera may override your AV settings if necessary to get a properly exposed image, check the exif and see what it says about the settings. If that happened, you might have f/1.4 rather than f/9 as you thought.

Upvote 0
Even at f/9 the 50 mm lens would have a fairly shallow depth of field. If the subject was about 5 feet from the camera, you would only have about 1.6 feet in focus (split towards and away from the subject).

This site can help you calculate depth of field to give you a better idea.

http://www.dofmaster.com

Try lining everyone up so their faces fall in line as close as possible or use a wide angle lens to increase the depth of field.

Upvote 0
P

philsv77

At f/9 for 50mm len, everything should be in focus assuming you're not too close to the subject. I never need to shoot group portrait at that small aperture, f5.6 is usually enough. Based on your description, if indeed the center is in focus, then you're standing too close to the group. How big is the group? If it is 6-10 people group, safe distance is at least ~3m in general.

A shot with details should help.

Upvote 0
Agreed.

philsv77 said:
At f/9 for 50mm len, everything should be in focus assuming you're not too close to the subject. I never need to shoot group portrait at that small aperture, f5.6 is usually enough. Based on your description, if indeed the center is in focus, then you're standing too close to the group. How big is the group? If it is 6-10 people group, safe distance is at least ~3m in general.

A shot with details should help.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bearbooth said:
just edited my first post included the photo. thanks
After downloading and viewing the image and exif, I wondered if you were using a tripod? 1/20 sec for a 50mm lens with a 22 mp body is pretty slow. I'd prefer to use 1/125 sec and set the aperture to f/2. It looks like some motion blur, but it might just be that the use of ISO 12800, and taking it as a small jpeg which throws away even more detail.
I'd recommend using raw and post processing to control the NR and sharpening. The 5D MK III does not do a spectacular job with jpegs, particularly if you have the images set to small jpeg.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
Hand held 1/20 is bit slow without an IS so a tripod would be advised. Also, you may have some motion blur too so a faster shutter will be req.

Also, I wonder if the camera focused on the background rather than the subjects?

I'd suggest keep practicing in the low light situations - even try the M mode with auto ISO.

Happy shooting

Upvote 0
B

bearbooth

Mt Spokane Photography said:
bearbooth said:
just edited my first post included the photo. thanks
After downloading and viewing the image and exif, I wondered if you were using a tripod? 1/20 sec for a 50mm lens with a 22 mp body is pretty slow. I'd prefer.....

thanks guys.
Didnt have a tripod, was a spur of a moment photo....
I do take photos in both jpeg and sRaw. The attached is the converted sRaw with no processing.

I thought I had focused first on my wife before recomposing but as you guys say, I might have focused on the background and then the 1/20 speed handheld didn't help at all.

so much I still need to learn....thanks again.

In theory, if I had a tripod, preferably a flash as well, I would only have needed a f4-5.6 setting and everyone would have came out sharp? Would it matter much who I focused on?

Upvote 0
For a handheld shot with 50 mm focal lenght you need without a tripod or IS a shutterspeed of 1/60 or shorter.

I use f/2.8 for pair shots and for groups f/5.6 to f/8 and prefer a shutter speed of 1/125 to freeze all action.

Check your white balance. The dialed in ISO is very high. Use a bounce flash.

Hint: Some of the produced EF 50 1.4 lenses have problems with the AF. It´s not possible with auto af or manual AF to get sharp pictures. Send in the lens for adjustments.

Upvote 0
Full frame at 3 meters, F9 and 50 mm gives you 2.15 meters of DOF. You can actually see this in your photo: from the cloth on front of the table to the wood pattern from the back-left side, everything is focused.

There can be two problems why your shot is blurry: 1) movement of camera / people, 2) the auto-focus in low light is not accurate and has focused way behind the people. There also appears way too much noise reduction, with some crappy algorithm, which has caused a significant loss of resolution.

By the way, at F4 you still get 87 centimeters of DOF, so you can get all the people in focus and get 2 stops more of shutter speed (80).

Upvote 0
bearbooth said:

I recently took a group photo (around 8 people) using 5D3 with a 50mm 1.4 but it came out blur except where I was focused. I think I was standing around 3m.......kept backing up until I got everyone into frame.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/20
Av( Aperture Value ) 9.0
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 12800
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF50mm f/1.4 USM
Focal Length 50.0mm
Image Size 2880x1920
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
White balance compensation A2, 0
AF Mode One-Shot AF
AF area select mode Spot AF
Picture Style Auto

is it camera shake? I cant really get away with handheld at a 1/20 speed right?

In addition to the other comments -- white balance looks off (the camera often gets this wrong indoors). Shoot raw so you can easily fix it afterwards.

Upvote 0
I think the problem is that you are using a 5DIII, which if you read enough threads on CR, you'll learn is a terrible camera. And that you aren't using an L lens. All non L lenses are total rubbish an should only be used as doorstops. You need a 50mm f/1.2L and NEVER use it at any other setting besides f/1.2! Just focus on one person's most interesting eyelash- Who cares about the rest. I need to see some bokeh!

Um, just kidding. I think lots of people covered possible fixes. Shallow DOF + slow shutter speeds + moving subjects = tough.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
pdirestajr said:
I think the problem is that you are using a 5DIII, which if you read enough threads on CR, you'll learn is a terrible camera. And that you aren't using an L lens. All non L lenses are total rubbish an should only be used as doorstops. You need a 50mm f/1.2L and NEVER use it at any other setting besides f/1.2! Just focus on one person's most interesting eyelash- Who cares about the rest. I need to see some bokeh!

Um, just kidding. I think lots of people covered possible fixes. Shallow DOF + slow shutter speeds + moving subjects = tough.

You forgot to mention that this photo wasn't taken with a Nikon, and therefore had no chance for success from the beginning. LOL!

On a serious note, what is MFD for thr 50 1.4? A lot of times as you approach that, the images get a little soft.

-Brian

Upvote 0
The slowest recommended handheld shutter speed is 1/60s, but like many others above have said, an even faster shutter speed of 1/100s to 1/125s is infinitely preferable - just even to capture the image at the correct moment and to avoid say people blinking.

Regarding the correct focusing, if you choose AF mode then your camera will choose the closest object/person, it might be a good idea to try Live View next time (pops the mirror up too), then hit the zoom button twice so you get 10x magnification, then focus in on the person's eyes who is sitting in the middle. Then take your shot. You can also select an optimum aperture (often f5.6 to f8) for your specific lens and keep the ISO at 200 or 400 when shooting even well-lit scenes like this indoors.

Finally, one simple trick often used by Pro's and enthusiasts is to switch to Hi-Speed shooting and take multiple shots in succession, that way you can minimize any handshake effect, as you'll have several exposures to choose from (then delete the OOF ones in-camera)

Upvote 0