5D Mark II Body Price Drop at B&H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
Re: 5D Mark II Body Price Drop at B&H

Midphase said:
I was just at Fry's in Burbank and the 5DmkII body only was $1899 so I'm not quite sure why the B&H price drop is such big news? The web site gives you the same price as well.

Rather, has anyone figured out how to get the 20% off of the refurb from Canon? The code doesn't work on the 5D.

I shop online (BH, Amazon, etc...) to avoid on sale tax. Most big stores offer free shipping right to my door. :D

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com

I just bought my 5D2 (25K clicks) for $1600.00 used w/ battery grip. It looks and feels brand new! It was a friends' camera until he upgraded to the 5D3 and suddenly found himself needing cash to help offset the $3500 he just spent.

I would say with the numbers of people "rushing" out to get the 5D3, there are going to be quite the selection of very nice used cameras out there to choose from, cheap! I wouldn't buy a new 5D2 at this point, unless you had no other option.

Just because the 5D3 is out it does not make the 5D2 an "obsolete" camera. Heck, even the 5D classic is still holding it's value very well! I recently saw a couple being sold for around $700 ~ $800 bucks! That's not much of a drop from the $850 ~ $1000 it was a couple of months ago before the annoucement of the 5D3!

Even though some of the features about the 5D2 could use an upgrade (compared to some newer cameras) it still is one hell of a camera body that takes amazing photos! I would not hesitate to buy another one at a sweet price. I would imagine that the 5D2 will remain popular for years to come and will hold it's value really well. It's money well invested in an awesome camera.

D

Upvote 0
D

dxone

Wildfire said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
My Refurb thru Canon CLP arrived 15 minutes ago. $1407. I put a battery in it (same as my 7D battery), and used EOS count to check the actuations. 379 shutter actuations. The battery is dated 12/2011. No marks or other signs its ever been used, except for the refurb packaging.
I'll be checking it out this afternoon.

Just got mine today as well. I had to pay tax and shipping, so the total was closer to $1580 for me. Mine has signs of having been mounted on a tripod previously, but otherwise I cannot tell it's a refurb. Will check the shutter count later today :)

Wait a seconde...? You have to pay tax only when you live outside the USA right? Don't tell me than... Can
we buy it if we live in other country than USA? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Here in France it's always at crazy prices! :'(

Upvote 0

dxone said:
Wildfire said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
My Refurb thru Canon CLP arrived 15 minutes ago. $1407. I put a battery in it (same as my 7D battery), and used EOS count to check the actuations. 379 shutter actuations. The battery is dated 12/2011. No marks or other signs its ever been used, except for the refurb packaging.
I'll be checking it out this afternoon.

Just got mine today as well. I had to pay tax and shipping, so the total was closer to $1580 for me. Mine has signs of having been mounted on a tripod previously, but otherwise I cannot tell it's a refurb. Will check the shutter count later today :)

Wait a seconde...? You have to pay tax only when you live outside the USA right? Don't tell me than... Can
we buy it if we live in other country than USA? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Here in France it's always at crazy prices! :'(
You have to pay import duties in EU, which are a lot higher than the TVA... ::)

Upvote 0

I couldn't take it anymore. Not another second. After being able to resist the 5D classic, the 5D2, and the 5D3, I thought my patience was close to paying off the second I saw the leaked pictures of the Nikon D600. "Surely this will force Canon to respond! The day of reckoning is near!" But then, something snapped in my mind. In the deep of night, I refreshed the canonrumors website and there was the 5D2. Sure it might not be the best price there ever was or ever will be. Perhaps in the next few short months the D600 will be revealed, and some months after that another price drop or even a new entry level FF... But the thing is. My new 5D2 is on the way from B&H, and I don't have a shred of buyer's remorse. LOVE!

Upvote 0

Trovador said:
I'm almost on the same boat. What other camera has such proved image quality and top notch performance?.

The 5D3 and the D800? Though the 5D3 is only marginally better at best, and the D800 is nigh unhandholdable with its massive resolution... I have a 7D for the times I need to machine gun down my subject, so with a 5D2 I've got all my bases covered for the same price as a 5D3... And I'll have a backup body to boot.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com

LostArk said:
I couldn't take it anymore. Not another second. After being able to resist the 5D classic, the 5D2, and the 5D3, I thought my patience was close to paying off the second I saw the leaked pictures of the Nikon D600. "Surely this will force Canon to respond! The day of reckoning is near!" But then, something snapped in my mind. In the deep of night, I refreshed the canonrumors website and there was the 5D2. Sure it might not be the best price there ever was or ever will be. Perhaps in the next few short months the D600 will be revealed, and some months after that another price drop or even a new entry level FF... But the thing is. My new 5D2 is on the way from B&H, and I don't have a shred of buyer's remorse. LOVE!

You won't regret buying it either. It is still an amazing camera and the photos are outstanding. I didn't think that the quality between my 7D and the 5D2 would be all that different, but I was wrong. The colors and smoothness of the 5D2 are breathtaking. Not to mention sharp (with good lenses of course) images. Do I still love my 7? Yes, but the 5D2 is a cut above, image quality wise.

D

Upvote 0
B

bosshog7_2000

[/quote]

The 5D3 and the D800? Though the 5D3 is only marginally better at best, and the D800 is nigh unhandholdable with its massive resolution... I have a 7D for the times I need to machine gun down my subject
[/quote]

How is a D800 any less 'hand holdable' than your 7D??? That makes no sense......I haven't done the math but I would bet money that your 7D has greater pixel density than the D800.....so if you can run and gun with a 7D surely you could do the same with the D800.
Clint
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60455482@N00/

Upvote 0

LostArk said:
Trovador said:
I'm almost on the same boat. What other camera has such proved image quality and top notch performance?.

The 5D3 and the D800? Though the 5D3 is only marginally better at best, and the D800 is nigh unhandholdable with its massive resolution... I have a 7D for the times I need to machine gun down my subject, so with a 5D2 I've got all my bases covered for the same price as a 5D3... And I'll have a backup body to boot.

You guys who make these arguments miss the whole point about the 5D Mark III. In neither of those cameras can you shoot in full Manual mode with auto ISO over the full range, in camera HDR, and 9 shot Multi-Exposure, you can't shoot in Av mode set in ISO safety shift with a minimum shutter speed coupled with auto ISO AND able to set EC. So really not nearly all of your bases are covered. You can have everything I listed, plus the 7D features, plus the 5D Mark II features, all in ONE camera. You could also add in IQ over the 7D. Make sense?

Not saying the 5D Mark II and the 7D aren't good cameras. I've owned them both. But the 5D Mark III, if you know how to use it, is a far more powerful tool than the 5D Mark II and 7D combined.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.