Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10511"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10511" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10511"></a></div>
<p><strong>Crazy Kit Deal from Adorama

</strong>Adorama has pieced together a crazy 5D Mark III starter kit. All the items are regularly $8450, but can be had for $6699.95 after discounts and rebates. Add it to cart to see all the savings.</p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EOS-5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera Body</li>
<li>Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM AF Lens</li>
<li>Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens</li>
<li>Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT</li>
<li>Canon Backpack 200EG</li>
<li>Mini SoftBox Diffuser</li>
<li>4 AA NiMH Batteries/Charger</li>
<li>Tiffen 77mm Filter Kit</li>
<li>Canon Pixma Pro9000 MII Printer</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DM3L.html?emailprice=t&KBID=64393" target="_blank">5D Mark III Kit at Adorama $6699.95</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

P

puqq

neuroanatomist said:
And why is that? Oh, it must be because a $2600 L-series superzoom lens isn't an 'actual zoom lens'. ::)

Well, it's a zoom, but not quite lens. Although a decent performer in "ultrazoom" class, it is by far not impressive in "lens" class.

A combination of 24-85mm and 70-300 4.5-5.6 performs very similarly for a fraction of price. 24-70 + 70-300 L kicks it's ass big time for +500$. Better still, a set of primes would cost less, offer better control over DoF, and even better quality.

As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure there hardly is a real-life discernable difference between pictures taken with 28-300 and top of the line compact.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
puqq said:
neuroanatomist said:
And why is that? Oh, it must be because a $2600 L-series superzoom lens isn't an 'actual zoom lens'. ::)

Well, it's a zoom, but not quite lens. Although a decent performer in "ultrazoom" class, it is by far not impressive in "lens" class.

A combination of 24-85mm and 70-300 4.5-5.6 performs very similarly for a fraction of price. 24-70 + 70-300 L kicks it's ass big time for +500$. Better still, a set of primes would cost less, offer better control over DoF, and even better quality.

As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure there hardly is a real-life discernable difference between pictures taken with 28-300 and top of the line compact.
Mine was certainly a excellent lens. Perhaps yours has a problem. You do own one, don't you?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
puqq said:

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Mine was certainly a excellent lens. Perhaps yours has a problem. You do own one, don't you?

+1. Mine is also very good, delivering IQ equivalent to the 24-105L. Yes, my 70-200 II, 135L, etc,, are sharper. But not nearly as versatile.

@puqq - I'll second the question - have you used the 28-300L personally, or are you merely echoing what you've read on the fountain of Truth we call the Internet. I invite you to show us your images from your high end P&S that equal the IQ of your 28-300mm. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my 5DII + 28-300L blows away my S100 for image quality (and size/weight, too, of course).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
puqq said:

+1. Mine is also very good, delivering IQ equivalent to the 24-105L. Yes, my 70-200 II, 135L, etc,, are sharper. But not nearly as versatile.

@puqq - I'll second the question - have you used the 28-300L personally, or are you merely echoing what you've read on the fountain of Truth we call the Internet. I invite you to show us your images from your high end P&S that equal the IQ of your 28-300mm. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my 5DII + 28-300L blows away my S100 for image quality (and size/weight, too, of course).
+3 or whatever we are up to the argument was rational until comparing the 28-300 to a compact that gave it away as regurgitated internat waffle

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
wickidwombat said:
...the argument was rational until comparing the 28-300 to a compact that gave it away as regurgitated internat waffle

Except for the part about the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, where the only lens meeting that spec is the DO one, so probably the 70-300 IS non-L was meant, which while decent from 70-200mm is a soft mess at 300mm, especially compared to the 28-300. The 28-300L also delivers better IQ than the native DO lens, although with a contrast and sharpness boost in post my shots from the 70-300 DO lens were equivalent to the 28-300L at the long end.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
wickidwombat said:
...the argument was rational until comparing the 28-300 to a compact that gave it away as regurgitated internat waffle

Except for the part about the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, where the only lens meeting that spec is the DO one, so probably the 70-300 IS non-L was meant, which while decent from 70-200mm is a soft mess at 300mm, especially compared to the 28-300. The 28-300L also delivers better IQ than the native DO lens, although with a contrast and sharpness boost in post my shots from the 70-300 DO lens were equivalent to the 28-300L at the long end.

yep I read that as the 70-300 L my bad I'll rephrase

Its all a load of internet waffle some regurgitated some just freshly cooked :)

Upvote 0
Stuart said:
Is this a way of clearing old stock, isn't the MK3 able to way out perform those lenses?

The 18 megapixel APS-C sensors have way higher pixel density, so they are a lot more demanding in terms of center sharpness. It's not even close, the Mark III has about the same pixel density as the 20D.

The standard kit lens for the 5D Mark III is the 24-105 which, IQ-wise is not in the same league as the 50mm f/1.4 @ f/4.

Upvote 0

No, I do not.

I have traded my primes (OM 24mm, Sigma 50mm, Canon 200mm) with friends' 28-300mm for a week, but after reviewing the pictures of the 1st outing I was waiting for a trade back. Perhaps I am a bit on the picky side. The low level of DoF control (I'm into portraits) and uninspiring sharpness created a too gloomy image of the lens in my memory.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
+3 or whatever we are up to the argument was rational until comparing the 28-300 to a compact that gave it away as regurgitated internat waffle

On several occasions my friends were shooting the aforementioned 28-300mm on 5D and two compacts (I believe Canon SX230 or something similar, and something else). While the per-pixel sharpness was better of 28-300 (duh!), the real-life pictures (resized to some <50% for galleries, some PP applied) were hardly different.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
puqq said:
Perhaps I am a bit on the picky side. The low level of DoF control (I'm into portraits) and uninspiring sharpness...

Well, no, it's not my 85mm f/1.2L II, but nor do I expect it to deliver f/1.2 DoF. If you shoot primarily portraits, it's not the lens for you - it's a lens for convenience, when you want to bring a minimum number of lenses but don't want to sacrifice quality. I often pair the 28-300L with the 35L and 135L for a versatile kit, the 35L for indoor ambient and nighttime walkaround, the 135L for portraits, the 28-300L for everything else. Regarding sharpness, did you do an AF Microadjustment on the lens you borrowed, and were you shooting with a high enough shutter speed for the slow aperture? In my experience, most complaints of 'the lens is soft' come down to wetware - the person holding the camera - and not the lens.

The fact that a lens doesn't suit your style of shooting isn't a reason to bash the lens...

As for poor DoF control and mushy softness, well...

Attachments

• Pug.jpg
    Pug.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 524
  • Pug-100%.jpg
    Pug-100%.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.