5d mk III, the honeymoon is over

Help! Direction? Assistance?

My 5d mkIII is acting badly, started a week ago, err 20. Brought her home like an injured bird as the battery pull in the field and power on and off did nothing. Pulled the lens and the mirror was raised a bit, pressed down as if I was trying to move a butterfly's wing and no movement, pushed up and it went all the way up easy. Pulled the battery and all was well. Did some test shots, noted an odd addition to the shutter sound but thought it was ok and thought I would get a second opinion. Took her to a local shop known for excellent work, they gave her a thumbs up, "spring tension is good" and "no odd noise".

Just the other day I was shooting my wife in a Double Road Race (a 10k and then 5k run) and found that she (the camera not my wife) was locking up again with err 20 then err 1 and then err 20 again. I flipped to silent multiple-exposure rather then normal multiple-exposure and found I could get about 10 continuous shots before lock up and error, yeah! And of course the odd shutter noise was gone. Dah, silent mode.

Stats are:
Purchased July 2012, yes, out of warranty, spoke to Canon and they asked that I send it to Irvine for non warranty repair.
43,800 shutter actuations
Factory Canon Battery
Locks up with all lens and flash (or not) combo's
SanDisk 16gb, Extreme Pro 90/Extreme 60
Most recent Firmware update
The camera could be mistaken for brand new, she is my baby and receives all the benefits associated with this title! My wife calls her my "other girl-friend".

Side notes:
Last lock up (thought it would not free up too) I saw that the shutter was completely closed and the mirror was all the way up too.
The camera will not perform "manual sensor cleaning" from main menu. And will not lock up the mirror.
When engaging "live View" the mirror lock up sound is normal but the release is when it sounds odd. This is the new odd sound of the shutter movement.

Today I am going back to the local good shop with this new info in hand but I also wanted to see what and if anything anyone here may know on this? Any opinions are welcome? Well, besides someone telling me I should have bought a Nikon.

Thanks,

Chris

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
I know the irvine center. I've met in person a few of the folks there and they are very fair. I might suggest seeing if you qualify for CPS (Canon Professional Services). 20 points are needed and points are gotten by owning lenses and cameras. I paid the $100 annual membership which gives you an far better replacement / upgraded camera strap, several lens caps and the ability to borrow lenses/cameras etc. for free. Canon pays shipping to you you pay shipping in return as well as a 20% discount off all repairs and up to 5 free 18 point inspections for one full year.

Once you register then send your camera in as the $100 goes a long way for one year.

here's the link: http://cps.usa.canon.com/

Rev

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
If it were me, I'd send it to Canon and not bother with the local shop unless they are an authorized Canon repair facility. 44k shutter activations in 1.5 years shows you're an active shooter, so you might consider CPS membership. I have no idea what is wrong, but I would send it to Irvine as soon as possible to limit any additional damage.

aceplato said:
Help! Direction? Assistance?

My 5d mkIII is acting badly, started a week ago, err 20. Brought her home like an injured bird as the battery pull in the field and power on and off did nothing. Pulled the lens and the mirror was raised a bit, pressed down as if I was trying to move a butterfly's wing and no movement, pushed up and it went all the way up easy. Pulled the battery and all was well. Did some test shots, noted an odd addition to the shutter sound but thought it was ok and thought I would get a second opinion. Took her to a local shop known for excellent work, they gave her a thumbs up, "spring tension is good" and "no odd noise".

Just the other day I was shooting my wife in a Double Road Race (a 10k and then 5k run) and found that she (the camera not my wife) was locking up again with err 20 then err 1 and then err 20 again. I flipped to silent multiple-exposure rather then normal multiple-exposure and found I could get about 10 continuous shots before lock up and error, yeah! And of course the odd shutter noise was gone. Dah, silent mode.

Stats are:
Purchased July 2012, yes, out of warranty, spoke to Canon and they asked that I send it to Irvine for non warranty repair.
43,800 shutter actuations
Factory Canon Battery
Locks up with all lens and flash (or not) combo's
SanDisk 16gb, Extreme Pro 90/Extreme 60
Most recent Firmware update
The camera could be mistaken for brand new, she is my baby and receives all the benefits associated with this title! My wife calls her my "other girl-friend".

Side notes:
Last lock up (thought it would not free up too) I saw that the shutter was completely closed and the mirror was all the way up too.
The camera will not perform "manual sensor cleaning" from main menu. And will not lock up the mirror.
When engaging "live View" the mirror lock up sound is normal but the release is when it sounds odd. This is the new odd sound of the shutter movement.

Today I am going back to the local good shop with this new info in hand but I also wanted to see what and if anything anyone here may know on this? Any opinions are welcome? Well, besides someone telling me I should have bought a Nikon.

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
serendipidy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Unfortunately, $h!t happens. Frequently, expensive $$$hit. If your wife needed medical care, would you take her to the local clinic (the one that already misdiagnosed her once), or to the research hospital in the city? "Your other girlfriend" is sick, send her to Canon ASAP.

+1
+10 Indeed! Send her in quick but do sign up for CPS if you qualify! It's worth every penny. Being a CPS member saved me several hundred dollars on my last repair, far more than the $100 to join! ;)

All the best!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Unfortunately, $h!t happens. Frequently, expensive $$$hit. If your wife needed medical care, would you take her to the local clinic (the one that already misdiagnosed her once), or to the research hospital in the city? "Your other girlfriend" is sick, send her to Canon ASAP.

+1
+10 Indeed! Send her in quick but do sign up for CPS if you qualify! It's worth every penny. Being a CPS member saved me several hundred dollars on my last repair, far more than the $100 to join! ;)

All the best!

Careful guys, we don't want to re-start the whole "CPS is for pros only" debate.

Upvote 0
revup67 said:
I know the irvine center. I've met in person a few of the folks there and they are very fair. I might suggest seeing if you qualify for CPS (Canon Professional Services). 20 points are needed and points are gotten by owning lenses and cameras. I paid the $100 annual membership which gives you an far better replacement / upgraded camera strap, several lens caps and the ability to borrow lenses/cameras etc. for free. Canon pays shipping to you you pay shipping in return as well as a 20% discount off all repairs and up to 5 free 18 point inspections for one full year.

Once you register then send your camera in as the $100 goes a long way for one year.

here's the link: http://cps.usa.canon.com/

Rev
Signed up for CSP (20 points, really, I'm a lens whore), thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Word and thanks for everything,

Chris

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I agree with everyone. I would add that upS right now is not up to snuff unless they straightend thing out over the weekend.

Send it off, get it insured. If you can get CPS and it is a good deal for you, do that.

I have sent things to Canon in Irvine, and they do a good job. Turnaround isn't bad either.
Keep us up to date.

Scott

Upvote 0
I got an error 20 last week. It only occurs when I shoot in silent mode, otherwise my 5d mk3 works perfectly. But I was currently working as a movie set photographer and I needed my camera to be as quiet as possible (I shot in live view but focusing sucked so much and silent shutter was quiet enough for most situations). I decided to send in my camera to the canon service center in irvine. They told me error 20 was an internal mechanical error. They had to replace the mirror box with the AF system and the shutter (had about 120,000 clicks). Cost me $453 after my gold CPS discount, would have been $600+ without it. I drove to Canon Irvine on monday, they overnighted my camera and got it back friday.

Of course your error 20 might not be as bad as mine.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bseitz234 said:
scottkinfw said:
I agree with everyone. I would add that upS right now is not up to snuff unless they straightend thing out over the weekend.

No kidding- send it Fedex.

Got a UPS delivery from an Amazon order, on schedule. Darn good thing my phone alerts me at delivery - books (yes, Amazon still sells them!) in a cardboard box, the delivery guy left them uncovered in the rain. Brown let me down...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
bseitz234 said:
scottkinfw said:

No kidding- send it Fedex.

Got a UPS delivery from an Amazon order, on schedule. Darn good thing my phone alerts me at delivery - books (yes, Amazon still sells them!) in a cardboard box, the delivery guy left them uncovered in the rain. Brown let me down...

Aww come on John! I was hoping you had hyperlinked the word "Brown" to the UPS site.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi,
They probably did get a signature, just not your signature! It doesn't say purchasers signature required which is good as it would mean I couldn't stay in and wait for parcels the other half has bought! It may mean that the resident at #520 didn't notice the number, if they had would they not have re-directed the driver to your address?

Cheers Graham

kbmelb said:
I love UPS because they are consistently awful. I know if I get the alert my package has been delivered and I haven't had a knock at my door I know to check the house at the end of my road that is #520 since my house is #620. It blows me away how often this happens. Even with stuff that says "Signature Required." Amazing!

Upvote 0
kbmelb said:
I love UPS because they are consistently awful. I know if I get the alert my package has been delivered and I haven't had a knock at my door I know to check the house at the end of my road that is #520 since my house is #620. It blows me away how often this happens. Even with stuff that says "Signature Required." Amazing!

Reroute it and pick it up at the depot instead.

Upvote 0