5D3 Nightshot at ISO 102400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
@bdunbar79: Thank you. I appreciate that. You are right! Really looks like the 19th century Paris at night shots ;-) There was some huge PP applied to it in DPP second slider 20. But, wow I just like it. I am high stepping proud ot the 5D3 and a simple 28 f/2.8. Imagine, how the overnext sensor will handle this...sometime you do this same photograph handheld as I did, with a faster lens, at a decent noise level at 1/20? Cheers, Pedro

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
R1-7D said:
Nice shot! I don't mind grainy nighttime photos. I think it gives them character. The noise pattern on the 5D3 Is exceptional too, with very little bending.

I took a look at your Flickr page. Nice work! I added you as a contact. :)

Thank you R1-7D! I appreciate that. I will do so as well! 8) You know, I had a Contax 139 Quartz about 30 years ago and did the Kodak Tri-X pan games: pushing it to let's say ISO1600, 3200... There's been a lot of change since then...

Upvote 0
pedro said:
R1-7D said:
Nice shot! I don't mind grainy nighttime photos. I think it gives them character. The noise pattern on the 5D3 Is exceptional too, with very little bending.

I took a look at your Flickr page. Nice work! I added you as a contact. :)

Thank you R1-7D! I appreciate that. I will do so as well! 8) You know, I had a Contax 139 Quartz about 30 years ago and did the Kodak Tri-X pan games: pushing it to let's say ISO1600, 3200... There's been a lot of change since then...

I can do a shot at that ISO level no problem. You did 1.3s, f/8, ISO 102400 right? This is at 28mm? If I'm correct, I'll do one each with a 5D3 and 1DX. I've heard the noise pattern of the 1DX is not as good, so I would like to perform this test under equal conditions. Good idea!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: 5D3 Nightshot at ISO 102400. Wanna join us? 102k/204k 5D3 or 1Dx

@bdunbar79: 1.3 sec, f/8.0, huddled down on the street. But hey, great idea! Let's spread the word. Your 102k picture this month. handheld, or tripod. 28mm. Or whatever lens you have available. handheld would give it the edge ;) Looking forward to stunning work, especially 1Dx! And BTW...what about a 204k street from the 1Dx?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
stipotle said:
With all the obsession over self-imposed ISO limits for "clean images," (myself included) this is actually very refreshing.
I'm inspired to give it a go with my 5D3.
Cheers to you.

@stipotle: great. see you. I am a low light limits freak. so always happy if I can crack the ceiling and get my head through it :D Looking forward to your nightshots. Are you on flickr? We could open a stratospheric ISO lounge...

Upvote 0
stipotle said:
With all the obsession over self-imposed ISO limits for "clean images," (myself included) this is actually very refreshing.
It's all about using the right tool/setting for the job. A grainy/noisy B&W sky can look fine. But sometimes you probably should go for a "clean image". After all, a noisy color shot of a person's face usually just looks like a mess.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photography

Upvote 0
bdeutsch said:
stipotle said:
It's all about using the right tool/setting for the job. A grainy/noisy B&W sky can look fine. But sometimes you probably should go for a "clean image". After all, a noisy color shot of a person's face usually just looks like a mess.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photography

Sighhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, we get that...

Thanks.

Upvote 0
5D3 ISO 102k
131800_10151293324361949_1873700350_o.jpg

in camera processed NR = normal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.