5D3 No Longer in Production

I was at a major retailer today (I will leave their name out but it rhymes with 'chest guy') and I was asking them to price match the 5D3 for me. While they were looking it up they pointed out that their system indicated Canon is discontinued.

The system said they will still have the 5D3 in stock through 2017, but could the fact that they are no longer manufacuring new units be an indication that a 5D4 is coming soon than expected? Is this just an errorr on thier part or is this something that is already known to everyone but just news to me?

Mr. P said:
I was at a major retailer today (I will leave their name out but it rhymes with 'chest guy') and I was asking them to price match the 5D3 for me. While they were looking it up they pointed out that their system indicated Canon is discontinued.

The system said they will still have the 5D3 in stock through 2017, but could the fact that they are no longer manufacuring new units be an indication that a 5D4 is coming soon than expected? Is this just an errorr on thier part or is this something that is already known to everyone but just news to me?

I'll call my friend at HQ Tokyo and get back to you! 8)

Upvote 0
Mr. P said:
While they were looking it up they pointed out that their system indicated Canon is discontinued.

It wouldn't be all that surprising if a high-resolution 5DIV is announced at Photokina next month.
But I'd be surprised if the 5DIII is already discontinued.
I'd fully expect that the 5DIII will continue selling alongside the 5DIV at least for a while.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Mr.P!

I don't know how Canon is doing and planning their production cycles.
Maybe your information is right, but it's hard to believe.

I suggest, that we'll see a 1DX successor in 2015 first.
And then - maybe in late 2015 - but more believable in 2016 a 5D3 successor.

I don't know, if it's cost effective for Canon to put a camera mordel on stock for at least 2 years.
I think cash flow and so on is speaking against it. But maybe they need the space in their factory to built up new production lines.

My guess:
Don't expect a 5D4 too soon. 7D and 1DX successor will have the stage first.

Upvote 0
Hey used to work at that which shall not be mentioned for far to long. Those numbers in that app were always a bit of a mystery who and how they got there. And while discontinue dates couldn't be trusted as a frugal the start dates could. This is why items like wii and xbox 360 would be given these random model numbers. That way it was hard to find for nosey employees wanting release dates. Discontinue dates was more so we new just when we stopped carrying it after the fact. Sometimes it would even say we still carried old tech that wAs not true. Long story short don't make your peanut utter and jelly on this bread.

Upvote 0
Looking at Canon's refresh cycle, I find it hard for them to ship a 5d4 prior to 2016.

Having said that, if they have truly developed a groundbreaking sensor that redefines performance at this price point the way the 5d2 did, then they could surely announce one sooner, because they would not have (just taking an example here) a 7dii sensor with 14 stops of DR ( :p ) selling alongside a supposed higher end FF body with a lessor sensor.

Lets see how the 7D2 measures up and decide if we want to ditch our 5d3's just yet.

Upvote 0
March 2012 the MK III shipped, so Q1 next year is definitely a possibility unless Canon want to grab the Xmas sales. I'd doubt they would go out of stock however in August unless there's a lot to clear...

If the sensor is that much better on the 7D MK II, eclipsing the MK III and 1DX, then I can see launches in the first half of next year. Bearing in mind how much money Canon make from the MK III and the rumoured release of a new FF nikon at Photokina which I think will directly compete with the MK III (not like the D810), then I think Canon releasing a replacement in 2015 is not so far fetched....

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
All depends on how much pressure Canon feels to unleash a HIgh MP competitor to to the D800 / 810. canon sales figures seem to suggest there isn't much any :). That said, it would be nice to see something in that 3-4k range like the D800 that has High MP and great low light performance.

I would agree we will see a 1DX replacement before we see another generation of the 5D or replacement

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Mr. P said:
The system said they will still have the 5D3 in stock through 2017, but could the fact that they are no longer manufacuring new units be an indication....

Impossible. no, but really no company can afford in a technology behaving market to place more then 2 years of stock for a product. No shareholder will accept this and no CEO would dare to.

Remember Cisco in the '90s, the really were lucky to survive.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mr. P said:

Honestly, I believe that your retailer rhymes with bed sheet...

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
Mr. P said:
The system said they will still have the 5D3 in stock through 2017, but could the fact that they are no longer manufacuring new units be an indication....

Impossible. no, but really no company can afford in a technology behaving market to place more then 2 years of stock for a product. No shareholder will accept this and no CEO would dare to.

Agreed. I'm sorry but I call bs on this story or you spoke to an incompetent employee there, which is entirely possible. No company is going to discountinue the product in August 2014 but keep enough built up inventory to sell into 2017.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Well against this outcome there is already the rumor that Canon will launch new models early in 2015.

Why would it do that?

To roll out new sensor technology across its line of DSLRs.

Why would it want to do that?

Re-invigorate sales and capitalize on having new technology to sell as a competitive edge against others.

The information in the story doesn't jive. They wouldn't have 2.5 years of stock, especially if they were ramping up to launch and announce a 5d4. I'm not saying it's not feasible to announce another model but they won't have 2.5 years of stock on the 5d3 which is why I question the knowledge of the salesperson in the first place.

Upvote 0
Chisox2335 said:
FEBS said:
Mr. P said:

Agreed. I'm sorry but I call bs on this story or you spoke to an incompetent employee there, which is entirely possible. No company is going to discountinue the product in August 2014 but keep enough built up inventory to sell into 2017.

I am as unsure about all this as you are but it was what I was told and what I saw when I looked at their computer system (albeit I also have doubts about the validity of their system and their employees interpretation of that system).

However, something else to consider is that the retailers system also showed they only had 11 units of the camera in stock nationwide.

This retailer isn't really known for selling these kinds of cameras and do not even carry any models in their retail stores. If you want to get one from them you have to order it online.

So is it really that far fetched that a company like this could support the camera until 2017, given that they may only sell one or too models quarterly as an entire company? In that case Canon would not need an exorbitant amount of stock to keep up with this companies low demand.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
If Canon don't have something up their sleeve, the high ISO performance of the D810 will give them something to think about.
www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/17/review-nikon-d810/#more-64169

Hopefully Canon have also accelerated to a 2 year update cycle. Meanwhile, no other lens could match my 24 IS. That and the rest of my investment keeps we with Canon.

Upvote 0