5D4: 600EX mk II vs 580EX (esp. AF assist)

rt

Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

I'll be traveling for a while and I am trying to minimize the amount of gear to take with me.

I'm taking 5D mk IV with 24-70 f/2.8 L mk II as my main combo (plus a 7D, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS, plus a smaller/ lighter flash like 430EX).

I'll be using it for:
  • photodiary of the trip
  • people photos (including fast moving children :) )

I need a flash for:
  • AF assist beam where light is sparse (evenings, closed spaces)
  • balancing bright sunlight (there's lots of it)
  • fill flash

I am considering leaving my 600EX mk II at home as while these trips are far from extreme adventure we still manage to break at least one flash per trip due to it dangling from the camera when hiking, packing, carrying kids, etc.

Instead, I could take my trusty 580EX, it has served me well, was in repair (partial replacement) multiple times and I have a feeling it will be much cheaper to repair / replace it than the 600EX mk II.

I am wondering about the *practical* differences between 580EX and 600 EX mk II on this camera/ lens combo.

I've read that in theory 600EX mk II matches the AF system of 5D4 but a quick test yesterday seemed to show that 580EX copes fine.

Is it wise to leave the 600EX mk II at home and rely on the older flash?

Thanks!

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
rt said:
Hi,

I'll be traveling for a while and I am trying to minimize the amount of gear to take with me.

I'm taking 5D mk IV with 24-70 f/2.8 L mk II as my main combo (plus a 7D, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS, plus a smaller/ lighter flash like 430EX).

I'll be using it for:
  • photodiary of the trip
  • people photos (including fast moving children :) )

I need a flash for:
  • AF assist beam where light is sparse (evenings, closed spaces)
  • balancing bright sunlight (there's lots of it)
  • fill flash

I am considering leaving my 600EX mk II at home as while these trips are far from extreme adventure we still manage to break at least one flash per trip due to it dangling from the camera when hiking, packing, carrying kids, etc.

Instead, I could take my trusty 580EX, it has served me well, was in repair (partial replacement) multiple times and I have a feeling it will be much cheaper to repair / replace it than the 600EX mk II.

I am wondering about the *practical* differences between 580EX and 600 EX mk II on this camera/ lens combo.

I've read that in theory 600EX mk II matches the AF system of 5D4 but a quick test yesterday seemed to show that 580EX copes fine.

Is it wise to leave the 600EX mk II at home and rely on the older flash?

Thanks!

Why not leave flash protected in bag while hiking, and attach while shooting in situations requiring a flash?

Scott

Upvote 0