60D video problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jarveye

perhaps this belongs in the movie sohoting forum, but it is a technical issue with the camera i feel so here goes:

i have been enjoying my new 60d, doing aot of experimental things to get to grips with its new features, and ive been enjoying shooting some movie clips and plan many more.

my issue is that i have suddenly noticed my camera unable to shoot for any length of time before automatically stopping, it sis set to the high res but at 24f/s which im sure shouldnt be a rpoblem, but if i shoot for only a minute or two i get a flashing symbol at the side which is a box with little squares inside

ive just done another test and this time it seemed to manage filming for ages, so its a random occuring error.

the card i using is a new 16GB class 10, but it is cheaper brand than sandisk for example

any ideas what caused this?

J

Jarveye

this is my graphical illustration of how it appears from memory, as typically i cannot get the camera to do it when i want it to!

screen.jpg

the blocks at the side seemed to e blinking between 1 and 2 blocks, i dont think its battery though...

Upvote 0
I looked it up in the 60D manual.

The bars on the site indicate your buffer. If you have a slower CF card that can't write as fast, the buffer starts to fill up. If it fills up all the way, recording will stop automatically.

I just got a 7D and have only experimented with video a little bit, but I was able to do a 1 minute 30 sec video without anything appearing. I don't know if the 7D gets the bars though.

The CF card I got was a Transcend 16GB 133x speed on newegg.com ($32). So far, its been great, I can even burst shoot RAW at 8 FPS for a good while (haven't really tested to see how many pictures it will hold out.)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
All Canon with video have those bars. I got them on my mkIV when using the slowest Sandisk Cards (just to try if it worked at all).

The simple solution is to getter a faster memory card. Saving 50 bucks on a memory card when spending a thousand+ on a body and even more when lens is attached makes no sense. Would you pull the handbrake on and just use first gear when buying a spanking new Ferrari?

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Jarveye said:
perhaps this belongs in the movie sohoting forum, but it is a technical issue with the camera i feel so here goes:

the card i using is a new 16GB class 10, but it is cheaper brand than sandisk for example

any ideas what caused this?

Try a different card, buy a good brand like sandisk, and buy it from a reliable store like B&H or Adorama, etc.

Unfortunately, there are lots of counterfit flash cards around that are not really what they claim, or, your card could just have a bad memory location and recording stops when the location is reached.

Give a new card a try, and if that fixes it, return the old one.

Upvote 0
J

Jarveye

yes it is a transcend card, its 16GB but claims to be class10 which is the fastest, class 4-10 seems to be the speed measurement on SD cards which the 60d takes.

it was afraction of the price of the same spec sandisk card but as you said maybe this is why.

i had a class 4 sandisk 4gb card also and it seemed to handle the video without me ever seeing those bars.
but i was advised to get a faster card for video

so far it seems to appear randomly, sometimes i can film for ages without seeing it and other times only 30 sec and it stops

Upvote 0
I've got two transcend cards (8GB class 6 and 32GB class 10) and they've never given me this kind of issues

maybe you've got a faulty unit (of card, or of camera)

hook the card to a pc using a card reader, and test how fast it can write to it; if it is below 10MB/s, the card is running under its theoretical spec (I'd have to test mine to see what I get...)

by the way: maybe formatting the card in the camera will help (don't use the "fast" option)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.