6D + 80D or Just 6D?

Mar 14, 2012
Typically, I'd prefer adding glass than bodies, and I still would in this base. However, you will run into tracking AF limitations when using anything else beside the center point on the 6D. This will work if you are able to add another/upgrade the body down the line.

A second body does come in handy as a backup or when doing events, and you can use two lenses on two bodies without as many lens swaps.

Upvote 0
Hi Cory

I have just gone through the same decision process. I mainly shoot landscapes, and wanted something a bit more flexible in a single lens than my 6D + 24-70 and 70-300 for when I’m walking the dog in the local forest where the occasional wildlife pops up.
I have just purchased an 80D + 18-135 to replace a G7X (which I never felt fully happy with as I prefer a viewfinder to just a screen). I also considered a 6D mk ii, but opted for the 80D because of the flexibility. The added bonus was the bright viewfinder, reasonable autofocus, similar controls, same battery, extra reach due to the crop for when I do want to use the 70-300. I also now have a second body for doing time lapse when I’m allowed out for a few hours.

Hope this helps

Chris

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
80D is a beautiful family with the following caveats:

1) the low light performance isn't comparable to FF
2) Wide angle coverage is different. In order to go wider, the most common thing is to use a EFS10-18 (an awesome lens), but this significantly changes perspective. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're going between FF and crop, it messes with your instincts of what lens to use and distance to subject.

If you're a fan of sub 24mm, just gives more flexibility IMO.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Looking at your Facebook page, it looks like you are doing just fine with what you have. I think you have two choices: buy a longer lens (200 f2.8 ) or a second body (80D).

Advantage of the second body is that you can keep a lens on each body and switch bodies as runners come closer. Put your 135mm on the 80D and it gives you 216mm. Save your 16-35mm for the 6D. Since you are shooting runners outdoors, the 80D sensor will be just fine.

The 70-200 f2.8 is an incredible lens and well worth owning. If you go that route, you will be able to cover most of the needed shots, except if you want a wide shot, in which case you have to switch lenses during the race. Not impossible, but can be a bit of a pain.

Relative costs: 80D can be had for $800 refurbished. The 70-200 f2.8 can be had through Canon Price Watch for $1,770. If you get the 80D, you will probably be able to sell it for $500 or more when you get ready to move up. On the other hand, the 70-200 f2.8 is a lens that you will want in your bag sooner or later regardless of what you do.

Upvote 0