7DII - problem with firmware update

Jul 28, 2015
I am trying to update the firmware on my 7DII from 1.0.4 to 1.1.3.
As in the instructions, I have a fresh battery in the camera, the camera is off when I insert the SD card (with .FIR file on it) and it is set to 'P' mode (also tried 'M' mode).
I go to the Spanner, menu 5 and highlight 'Firmware ver 1.0.4' and press 'OK' twice.
'Current firmware is 1.0.4. Update Firmware - press 'OK'
It then comes up with 'Firmware Update Program' screen and the message 'Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again'.

I have tried 2 different 32GB cards and an 8GB card and all give the same error.
I have formatted all cards before copying the '.FIR' file to them.

This is driving me nuts - any suggestions on what to do? I can find nothing about this on the interweb.

The reason I started all this was to check the continuous shooting rate because it does not seem to be hitting the 10fps rate it should be getting, but the continuous shooting menu item is not there for some reason. The camera works fine, but I just want to check it.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am sure you checked this already but
  • is your FW nee enough to update? ( I didn’t Check)
  • did you format Card inside your camera?
  • did you copy the .fir file to the root directory?
  • did you download the firmware again to avoid corrupted file?
If all answers are „yes“ I have no clue and would contact Canon service.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I am sure you checked this already but
  • is your FW nee enough to update? ( I didn’t Check)
According to the 7Dmk2 firmware page on Canon Europe web site, that's not an issue.

To add to Maxilimian's points, IIRC the camera might have a preference as to which card should contain the firmware file, say it expects it to be on the CF card. If you tried to install the firmware from the SD card, remove the CF card and see if that helps. If not, remove the SD card, format the CF card, and try to install the firmware for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
To add to Maxilimian's points, IIRC the camera might have a preference as to which card should contain the firmware file, say it expects it to be on the CF card. If you tried to install the firmware from the SD card, remove the CF card and see if that helps. If not, remove the SD card, format the CF card, and try to install the firmware for it.
Good point!
AFAIK and if I remember right, my 5D3 accepted FW updates from both slots, CF and SD.
But if I recall correctly only one card should be inserted in the camera during FW upgrades.

In addition I looked after the procedure in my 5D3 instructions:
One step says, you should set the mode dial to <P> or any mode other than "Fully-Automatic Modes" and then switch the camera on.

As I never use "Fully-Automatic" (the framed [A] ) I never cared about that.
Could it be this point?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Good point!
AFAIK and if I remember right, my 5D3 accepted FW updates from both slots, CF and SD.
But if I recall correctly only one card should be inserted in the camera during FW upgrades.

In addition I looked after the procedure in my 5D3 instructions:
One step says, you should set the mode dial to <P> or any mode other than "Fully-Automatic Modes" and then switch the camera on.

As I never use "Fully-Automatic" (the framed [A] ) I never cared about that.
Could it be this point?
I think the firmware update menu is hidden when you set the camera to [A]wesome instead of [P]erfect.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thank you all for your replies.
I decided to try Antono and Maximillian's suggestions of SD vs CF cards (with only one in the camera and when doing this realised.......I had picked up my 5DIV by mistake. D'oh!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops::mad::ROFLMAO::LOL::devilish::sneaky:o_O:cautious:...oh, how many emojis can express how I feel right now??? :confused::oops:o_O:rolleyes:

Who mentioned Occam's razor....?????
Mike, don't blame yourself.
Be happy that all your gear is working and you don't have to deal with the service center. (y)
And praise Canon for having a good implementation of detection of correct FW. :geek:
I don't want to imagine what could happen, when you overwrite your 5D4 memory with 7D2 FW - if that was possible... :eek:

Upvote 0