A Few 60D Specs [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
8,507
1,229
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/60d.jpg"><img class="alignnone size-full wp-image-4661" title="60d" src="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/60d.jpg" alt="" width="575" height="200" /></a></p>
<p><strong>A Couple of Specs

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Received word today of someone seeing a presentation of a pre-production 60D.</span> The entire spec list was not released to the folks being presented to.</strong></p>
<p><strong>Specs:

<span style="font-weight: normal;">18mp (Exact same as the 7D & T2i)

Tilt Screen (No word on size)

“Video Optimized” (I’m going to assume better AF when filming)</span> </strong></p>
<p>More soon.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
 
T

tamas

Guest
I don`t know anything about the specs, but as I see the pic is fake. It is a photoshoped 50D.
 
N

noobie

Guest
Kind of wish we went back to just comments, no one has anything to say anymore :-\
 

c.d.embrey

EOS RP
Jul 21, 2010
657
8
About what you'd expect. An updated T2i in a xxD body. I'd be surprised if the focusing and metering are anything more than an upgrade.
 
W

Waleed Essam

Guest
noobie said:
Kind of wish we went back to just comments, no one has anything to say anymore :-\
Yeah :( the comments although had many inappropriate entries, yet was more fun to read and share opinions... now the forum is boring, no one comments anymore, or people are just lazy to go log in and write a comment.

CR guy can't please everyone in the same time though, and can't just keep switching between forum/messages all the time.

About the camera... I pray to god every night it's not 18mpix :D I already use my 7D and I love it, but sometimes I wish I can use ISO6400 more confidently than I do now, and stick with APS-C. Seems that this is never happening and I'm forced to go FF with the next 5D or 3D or whatever.
 
T

that1guy

Guest
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the 18mp too. Not that I am planning on buying one, but I worry that it means the trend of increasing mp is still going. I was getting hopeful when they lowered the mp on some of their point and shoot cameras. I guess I just wonder what it means for the whole Canon line. Maybe nothing.

I'm hoping the new 5D (whenever it comes out) doesn't get a huge mp bump. I think it has the perfect # of mp for a ff.
 
N

noobie

Guest
I'm actually really interested to see the battle between the Nikon D95 and the Canon 60D right now I have the Canon 450 with a good deal of equipment but nothing I wouldn't be willing to shed it Nikon comes out with a very good D95. I would hate to leave the Canon lens line up, so I hope Canon pulls through. :eek:
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,155
70
Let's see: 16 MP Nikon D95 vs 18 MP Canon 60D vs 16 MP Sony A55. Boring...

The specs for 60D seem terribly predictable. Here's hoping Canon brings something new to the table.
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,155
70
Waleed Essam said:
Yeah :( the comments although had many inappropriate entries, yet was more fun to read and share opinions... now the forum is boring, no one comments anymore, or people are just lazy to go log in and write a comment.
I much prefer this. No more flaming baits. The trolls love it when they can enter unmoderated forums and make their unwanted comments, like what they do in DPReview forums.
 
T

that1guy

Guest
Woody said:
Waleed Essam said:
Yeah :( the comments although had many inappropriate entries, yet was more fun to read and share opinions... now the forum is boring, no one comments anymore, or people are just lazy to go log in and write a comment.
I much prefer this. No more flaming baits. The trolls love it when they can enter unmoderated forums and make their unwanted comments, like what they do in DPReview forums.
Yeah, I am enjoying this more. I hardly ever commented before. I really enjoy seeing when new things have been posted (not all forums do that so nice going CR Guy!), and I also enjoy seeing how other people have commented in the past. It can help you figure out if they are full of it or if they are just a complainer. I have also noticed fewer trolls which is great. I don't think its too big of a deal to log in. Plus, now we get fun smilies :D ;) ;D :mad: :eek: 8)
 
G

gkreis

Guest
that1guy said:
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the 18mp too. Not that I am planning on buying one, but I worry that it means the trend of increasing mp is still going. I was getting hopeful when they lowered the mp on some of their point and shoot cameras. I guess I just wonder what it means for the whole Canon line. Maybe nothing.

I'm hoping the new 5D (whenever it comes out) doesn't get a huge mp bump. I think it has the perfect # of mp for a ff.
Do you feel like you can rely on 3200? From the test shots I have seen in reviews, the noise begins to climb on that sensor quicker after 800 than I have seen with the 40D, 30D...

Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they have made some substantial change to make it a better performer. But I am not going to hold my breath. Part of it they can't fix... pixel density.
 
G

gkreis

Guest
unfocused said:
I agree with the above comments. Slightly less convenient but worth it not to have to deal with the trolls. And since all your comments get saved it does make you stop and think before spouting off.
The old way was awful for finding recent comments. They were buried as replies in threads throughout all the comments. I really like how ALL comments are put at the end of the list as you go.... I guess ideal would have been for them to be keep in the their mini-threads, BUT someone highlighted or indexed so you could always find what you hadn't already seen very easily.
 
T

that1guy

Guest
chrome_dude said:
that1guy said:
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the 18mp too. Not that I am planning on buying one, but I worry that it means the trend of increasing mp is still going. I was getting hopeful when they lowered the mp on some of their point and shoot cameras. I guess I just wonder what it means for the whole Canon line. Maybe nothing.

I'm hoping the new 5D (whenever it comes out) doesn't get a huge mp bump. I think it has the perfect # of mp for a ff.
Do you feel like you can rely on 3200? From the test shots I have seen in reviews, the noise begins to climb on that sensor quicker after 800 than I have seen with the 40D, 30D...

Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they have made some substantial change to make it a better performer. But I am not going to hold my breath. Part of it they can't fix... pixel density.
Which camera are you asking if I feel like I can rely on 3200 on? If you are asking about the 7D, I would definitely say no. If the 5DII then I'd probably say yes.

I shoot stock photography and they are REALLY picky on the technical end of things. A lot of 7D samples I have seen would not be accepted because of noise. Not saying I couldn't use it, but I don't think it would really help me out in difficult situations.

If they don't release a new FF camera by the time I actually need a camera, I am thinking of just picking up a 40D as a cheap way to hold me over until a camera I really want comes out. Like you, I think it handles noise very nicely, and you can get them really cheap now.
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,155
70
chrome_dude said:
Do you feel like you can rely on 3200? From the test shots I have seen in reviews, the noise begins to climb on that sensor quicker after 800 than I have seen with the 40D, 30D...
NOT true according to the RAW files here:
http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/dslr_evolution.3
with everything upscaled to 40 MP.

The 18 MP 7D/550D sensor trashes ALL older APS-C sensors from low to high ISO. That's why Nikon is going to release a 16 MP D90 update soon.

Even when the 7D RAW files are compared to the 1Ds3:
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_7d_review.htm

"Surprisingly, the 7D is relatively good in this aspect. It is not as good as the 1DsIII, but the difference is small - I'd say about 0.5 stop - and it is a bit better than the 500D and 50D."

"The 7D seems to capture slightly more detail into highlights (even though it shows a slight magenta cast), while the 1DsIII captures a bit more detail in the shadows - but the differences are so small that in practice you won't see any real difference."

I guess this pixel density myth won't die till the 16 MP Nikon D95 is released. :)
 
W

Waleed Essam

Guest
that1guy said:
chrome_dude said:
that1guy said:
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the 18mp too. Not that I am planning on buying one, but I worry that it means the trend of increasing mp is still going. I was getting hopeful when they lowered the mp on some of their point and shoot cameras. I guess I just wonder what it means for the whole Canon line. Maybe nothing.

I'm hoping the new 5D (whenever it comes out) doesn't get a huge mp bump. I think it has the perfect # of mp for a ff.
Do you feel like you can rely on 3200? From the test shots I have seen in reviews, the noise begins to climb on that sensor quicker after 800 than I have seen with the 40D, 30D...

Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they have made some substantial change to make it a better performer. But I am not going to hold my breath. Part of it they can't fix... pixel density.
Which camera are you asking if I feel like I can rely on 3200 on? If you are asking about the 7D, I would definitely say no. If the 5DII then I'd probably say yes.

I shoot stock photography and they are REALLY picky on the technical end of things. A lot of 7D samples I have seen would not be accepted because of noise. Not saying I couldn't use it, but I don't think it would really help me out in difficult situations.

If they don't release a new FF camera by the time I actually need a camera, I am thinking of just picking up a 40D as a cheap way to hold me over until a camera I really want comes out. Like you, I think it handles noise very nicely, and you can get them really cheap now.
I use the 7D ISO3200 confidently, without even need for NR, or very slight NR applied. When I opened this subject I mentioned I can't use 6400 confidently as I'd like to. I use it, I apply some NR in Topaz De-Noise or Neat Image, but I just don't feel confident to use it every time I want to. So yeah, the ISO3200 on the 7D is very good.

Hope Canon don't mess things up with the 60D being same noise performance as the 7D, coz if Nikon's D95 is actually cleaner AND 16mpix, Canon will really look bad.
 
M

match14

Guest
I hope “Video Optimized” does not take anything away from the cameras ability to take still pictures. I don't mind video on Canon DSLRs just now as it does not cripple the still taking process but if “Video Optimized” compromises that then I'm not interested. I'm not interested in video capture so would never use movie mode but as I say I don't mind that the facility is there as it stands just now.
 

Aputure

EOS M50
Jul 23, 2010
36
0
Shenzhen, China
www.aputure.com
About the camera... I pray to god every night it's not 18mpix :D I already use my 7D and I love it, but sometimes I wish I can use ISO6400 more confidently than I do now, and stick with APS-C. Seems that this is never happening and I'm forced to go FF with the next 5D or 3D or whatever.
Yeah I also vote for a lower mega pixel sensor. Looks like that rumor of a 14mp sensor might not be true, such a shame. Although the 7D sensor is still the best in the business on APS-C cameras, so I guess you can't complain too much. Swivel screen and video optimization should be very, very cool though.
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,155
70
Waleed Essam said:
Hope Canon don't mess things up with the 60D being same noise performance as the 7D, coz if Nikon's D95 is actually cleaner AND 16mpix, Canon will really look bad.
The D95 WILL look cleaner at 16 MP, only because Canon has been totally stubborn and so far, they are the ONLY company that refuses to apply in-camera RAW NR. Nikon (see D90/D5000 vs D300s), Sony and Pentax have all gone down that route.
 

lol

EOS RP
Jul 25, 2010
546
17
snowporing.deviantart.com
I'm happy enough with the 7D at ISO3200 so a 60D behaving similar would be ideal as a 2nd body update for me. That alone is enough for me not to consider getting another 50D... the tilt screen would make me really happy :)