A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R6 announcement is likely coming in the next couple of months, we figure it’ll come before Photokina which is still scheduled to start on May 27, 2020.
We have received further information about the specifications for the Canon EOS R6, and we’ll present them in bold.
These are the original specifications that we published in January that we classify as [CR3], the new information we’re putting at [CR2] for the moment.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
FullHD @ 120p
Dual card slots
No top-down screen
Lower resolution EVF than the EOS R5
Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same...

Continue reading...

Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.

Great point! I think a new sensor technology with better low-light performance, improved dynamic range, and you forgot about IBIS!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

If the R6 has 12/20 fps that might attract the attention of some stills photographers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The R6 really puzzles me.

Is this seen as an RP replacement? ...
This is a really good question.

Right now I can't see the right place for the R6 in the EOS R lineup.
If it was an RP successor, same size or smaller, I'd get the lower MP count (20 MP < 26 MP) if they were really better, say this is a real 1DX Mk??? sensor (with DPAF).
If it's not a (recognizably) better sensor than the ones of the RP or R that would really make me scratch my head.
Especially if the body is bigger than the RP.

Interesting, times... .

Upvote 0
As an entry level FF R/RP replacement the drop to 20mp does seem odd, unless it is the 1DX3 sensor which presumably outperforms previous sensors of higher megapixel. Dual slots and IBIS already put the body ahead of the R/RP IMO. 6D to R6 wont be a perfect line migration but depending on the AF/ISO/DR it should be enough for a lot of event photographers, and those of us holding out for better offerings before we start to transition to RF.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
These specs look pretty fantastic for video although 4K120fps would have knocked it out of the park; even in crop mode that would have made this more clearly a video focused body. This could be an A7S / GH5 / GH5s / S1 competitor. The sensor size is perfect for lowlight video and some occasional venue / vendor photography or hybrid travel video/photography.

If this is in fact their video focused body, there is no current equivalent in the Canon line which explains the dual card slots. Possibly the R5 is the S1H and S1 competitor while this body is the S1 and A7S equivalent. Canon has to be aware that they are losing a lot of YouTubers and MILC video content creators to Sony and Panasonic and this could be their answer. I ended up with the GH5 precisely because Canon did not have a camera like this at the time; and that time was not that long ago.

Even the Dual SD slots make more sense than CFAST for their target market. Since it does not have 8K, less weather sealing, etc. this will probably be priced at a very attractive price point. Combine this with the ND filter adapter ring and you have some pretty amazing capabilities in a small form factor. Add an XLR module which works on both this and the R5 and you now have a system that is worth going all in for both photography and video.

Lets not forget...they need to also remove the (%&&ing recording limit, and write the video to BOTH card slots.

Personally I think we should look at the S1H and S1's pricing to figure out where these two will probably be priced (S1H = $3999.00USD and S1 = $2499.00USD). Canon's specs so far are pretty close to those two and pricing will probably be pretty close as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
I guess (hence the naming) its the same constellation like the 5D and 6D. The 6 is just a little bit lower, a bit smaller, notable cheaper, a bit less rugged for daily professional use. Overall probably a very affordable, nice Fullframe Camera, especialy for portraits, landscapes and advanced amateurs :)

I agree! I just hope they keep the price range in the advanced amateur's range too (sub $2.000) and I will buy it straight away. Just what I need: 4K 60fps (finally, I've already given up on Canon and looked at other cameras because they've been neglecting affordable 4K 60fps version), IBIS, and compatible with my existing canon glass.

Upvote 0