A Minor Update on Canon's Plans for NAB 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Last week we posted that <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-cinema-eos-camera-coming-to-nab-2018-cr3/">Canon will announce one Cinema EOS camera ahead of NAB 2018</a>, we gave it a [CR3] rating.</p>
<p>That still holds true, however our assumption about a higher end camera being announced, most notably an EOS C500 Mark II don’t appear to be true.</p>

<p>One of the EOS C100 Mark II or EOS C300 Mark II will see an update (We can’t see the C200 or C700 being updated), at the time of writing this, we don’t know which one with certainty, as we’re getting conflicting information.</p>
<p>We’re also pretty sure a non Cinema EOS camera will be announced at NAB 2018.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I've been droning on about a wanting a C100 MkIII so I hope this is true. As mentioned above, a C200 sans raw is all that's needed. 4k 8 bit up to 60fps in a body identical to the C100 II apart from making the LCD touch screen. Upgraded EVF would be nice, as well as handle attachment to rosette style, but not necessary.

Upvote 0
I thought that a 6K C500 Mark II would make no sense, especially when they have had their 8K prototype for almost half a decade now. And with 6K, it would aim at the C700 crowd, who would not bother to switch, as there is not enought additional resolution to gain.

My bet is that the C500 Mark II will be the first 8K camera from Canon.

Upvote 0
A C100 Mkiii would have to do better than 8-bit internal these days to get my money. As a dedicated cine camera, it now would have to have a better codec than, say, the GH5s internal. It also needs to better the 8-bit codec in my 5Dmkiv, which is more of a stills cam with decent video functionality.

With the main draw of the C200 being RAW, I'd be looking at at least 10-bit 4:2:2 at a decent bit rate, but not raw, from a C100 Mkiii, otherwise I'd simply stick with my 5Dmkiv, or save a bit more for a C200 and a lot of storage.

Upvote 0
Canon is in a really weird place with the Cinema EOS cameras. It's like they completely reversed what they should have done. RAW and 4k60p at 10bit in the C300mkii would have killer, and then keep the 4k24-60p 10bit for the C200. You've still got timecode out and genlock in the C300mkii for the higher end productions, but the C200 is still specd enough to compete with the FS7 (a more than 3 year old camera at this point) and the EVA1. RAW and 8bit is just such a strange combination.

That being said, if they somehow enabled RAW Lite and 4k60p at 10bit in the C300mkii, it would be a much more interesting camera. There's no way in hell they're going to enable 10bit 24p in the c100mk3. I could see 4k 24/30p, and then HD in 60 with a cropped 120 like the c300 knowing them.

All that said, I'm sure whatever they put out will make beautiful images. Cameras are certainly more than just their specs, but man it would be nice if Canon put one out that was serious competition for once.

Upvote 0
I am waiting the next price drop on Canon C200 to buy it. In the meanwhile i hope that canon release C100 mk iii with 1080p 60p 10bits 4.2.2. The C200 is to expensive and heavy for most people. Also i love the C300 mk ii for 1080p work in 10bits, gives great color and grades beautifull. Canon does release video crippled products to protect their higher end models. I don't need one expensive camera even if it does raw. I need 2 cameras and that ads up, lenses, bateries, so more profit for Canon. When a camera is to expensive to buy you consider other options. In 2020 when Sony and Panasonic have DPAF Canon is in big trouble. I see Sony sell more cameras because they are inovating.

Upvote 0