Act Fast: Refurbished Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L in stock at the Canon USA store for $1839 (Reg $2299)

Just shot 4 weddings with a borrowed RF50 (busy weekend) and think I'm going to pass. Told myself I'd get an RF50 when refurbs opened up but to my surprise I prefer the 50 Art more. It handles better, doesn't have cat-eye bokeh, doesn't hunt locking focus in wedding reception light. You give up all those AF points (edges are cut off a bit) and there's no (convenient) IBIS, but with the adaptor you have room for your fingers. Most of the RF lenses are so fat it kills the ergonomics.

Your milage may vary. Of course, the images from the RF50 are lovely (except that 1.2 bokeh), but so are the 50Art's at 1/3 the price. And, it's already in my bag :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Just shot 4 weddings with a borrowed RF50 (busy weekend) and think I'm going to pass. Told myself I'd get an RF50 when refurbs opened up but to my surprise I prefer the 50 Art more. It handles better, doesn't have cat-eye bokeh, doesn't hunt locking focus in wedding reception light. You give up all those AF points (edges are cut off a bit) and there's no (convenient) IBIS, but with the adaptor you have room for your fingers. Most of the RF lenses are so fat it kills the ergonomics.

Your milage may vary. Of course, the images from the RF50 are lovely (except that 1.2 bokeh), but so are the 50Art's at 1/3 the price. And, it's already in my bag :)

Which camera are you using? Shooting modes affect bokeh with the RF 50 f/1.2 and there is no way it should be hunting in low light, it blows the SIGMA out of the water for AF, sharpness and rendering wide open.

Upvote 0
Which camera are you using? Shooting modes affect bokeh with the RF 50 f/1.2 and there is no way it should be hunting in low light, it blows the SIGMA out of the water for AF, sharpness and rendering wide open.

We have three R6's — bokeh balls are cat eye shape at 1.2 and it hunts in low light. The RF doesn't blow it out of the water. It's better IQ but so close. I'm not crazy, those comparisons are all over the internet.

Upvote 0
LeeBaby, how much do you shoot weddings wide open at f/1.2, other than formals? Can you provide a link toyour images?

The R6 has mind-blowing eye-tracking. Have you shot with one? Game changer. Find someone to track on the dance floor and engage tracking. Locks on - shoot at 1.2, 1.4 all night. It's a revolution, and we traded in MarkIV's and a 7D2 for R6's

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have three R6's — bokeh balls are cat eye shape at 1.2 and it hunts in low light. The RF doesn't blow it out of the water. It's better IQ but so close. I'm not crazy, those comparisons are all over the internet.

Well.. mine has never hunted, and I just asked a couple of wedding photographers if theirs ever hunted and it was a no. Are you using electronic or silent shutter? What AF setup are you using? There is no way the sigma should AF anywhere near as well

Upvote 0
Well.. mine has never hunted, and I just asked a couple of wedding photographers if theirs ever hunted and it was a no. Are you using electronic or silent shutter? What AF setup are you using? There is no way the sigma should AF anywhere near as well
Just had a copy at 4 weddings and it hunted in reception light. Not every shot, not every scenerio but I've yet to have a R6 'hunting' episode with any the following EF lenses (in my bag) ...

16-35L III
24-70L II
70-200L 4 IS
35L II
Sigma 50 Art
85L 1.4
100L
135L

nor the RF 24-105

just the copy of the RF50 I was using — I was surprised

Must've have gotten a bad one. But after viewing the images I'm not unicorns-and-fairies blown away by the difference between it and the Sigma. Sharper, but the Sigma's no slouch. Then there's the barrel width on a mirrorless body the cuts into your finger room. I've never seen a 50 Art image from me or any of our 12 photographers and thought, "wow, you should've used a better lens."

All things relative, and the RF50 is three times the price. I can afford it, but not buying it saves money for EL-1's that'll hit the street soon.

Upvote 0