Added ads and more added adds, what gives?

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
Hi all!

Recently it was added loads of new ways to display ads here on CR. I’m not a Pro member and have long ago accepted ads on the site, I get why they’re there.

I’m fine with ads between posts in the forum, I can live with the full page ad when going from one thread to another. I really dislike the lower banner being in the way and shrinking my screen real estate, but I live with it.

But, now there is a banner on top blocking the menu, much more intensive and intrusive adds effectively blocking me from using the site like intended.

So I changed my browser to Safari and downloaded an adblocker and it was superb, until the site warns me and tries to make me disable the adblocker!

So the free site isn’t free anymore, might as well have it behind a paywall when it can’t be used with the insane amount of content covering ads.

how does other people feel?

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Hi all!

Recently it was added loads of new ways to display ads here on CR. I’m not a Pro member and have long ago accepted ads on the site, I get why they’re there.

I’m fine with ads between posts in the forum, I can live with the full page ad when going from one thread to another. I really dislike the lower banner being in the way and shrinking my screen real estate, but I live with it.

But, now there is a banner on top blocking the menu, much more intensive and intrusive adds effectively blocking me from using the site like intended.

So I changed my browser to Safari and downloaded an adblocker and it was superb, until the site warns me and tries to make me disable the adblocker!

So the free site isn’t free anymore, might as well have it behind a paywall when it can’t be used with the insane amount of content covering ads.

how does other people feel?
I was running an ad blocker before membership with ad-free browsing was available here. Had no issues. I was very happy to see the memberships offered because I enjoy the website and want to support the work Craig does. Over the whole net, this is the only site I pay for other than Prime and Netflix. $20 a year to support my favorite website is fine by me.

Reactions: Viggo

Kit.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Apr 25, 2011
As far as I know, the site will tolerate your continuing use of an adblocker after the warning... which is kinda nice, but the question is why it is filed with ads so much that they make it unusable in the first place.

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
As far as I know, the site will tolerate your continuing use of an adblocker after the warning... which is kinda nice, but the question is why it is filed with ads so much that they make it unusable in the first place.
Indeed, as long as I could skip the ads and navigate the site just fine I was okay with it. This is not okay:

Attachments

• 914D9584-1F00-4CA4-8931-E56C7635C615.png
    914D9584-1F00-4CA4-8931-E56C7635C615.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 45

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
It does keep getting worse and worse. Charging for an ad-free experience seems like an unholy merger of extortion and elitism to me. I'm fine with a reasonable amount of ads, in fact I think it's better to have everyone endure a few ads, since I do believe in capitalism. But it just feels greedy to fill the entire site with ads. The latest trick seems to be to link individual posts to ads. It's bad on a PC and just ridiculous on a mobile phone.

old-pr-pix

EOS RP
Dec 26, 2011
I avoided getting the Pro membership just because I occasionally find the ads on CR interesting - highlighting something I might not otherwise come across. I do normally run an ad-blocker which is set to allow certain 'qualified' ads. CR occasionally asks to continue with the blocker in place but it isn't constant and isn't objectionable to me. I recently switched to a new PC and was amazed at how many ads there were on all sites, not just CR, before I implemented the ad-blocker. It seems in part my old PC was running slow simply because it was spending so much time with the ad-blocker throwing away ads.

Reactions: unfocused and Viggo

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
I avoided getting the Pro membership just because I occasionally find the ads on CR interesting - highlighting something I might not otherwise come across. I do normally run an ad-blocker which is set to allow certain 'qualified' ads. CR occasionally asks to continue with the blocker in place but it isn't constant and isn't objectionable to me. I recently switched to a new PC and was amazed at how many ads there were on all sites, not just CR, before I implemented the ad-blocker. It seems in part my old PC was running slow simply because it was spending so much time with the ad-blocker throwing away ads.
PC's need a dedicated processor that just exists to remove ads. I don't mind a few and some sites seem to reach a balance that makes them acceptable. For many sites, I turn on the ad blocker.