Adjust or return RF 24-105/4?

I would have it exchanged for a new copy of the lens, and if the shop from which you bought it won't exchange it, then get a refund and buy elsewhere. Personally, I'd prefer not to have some shop opening my brand new lens to adjust it, worst case scenario I'd send it to Canon under warranty.
Thanks for your advise, Neuro!
Thats the same what I thought.
I just wasn't sure, if an adjust is made with every lens or maybe only electronically.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
My first RF 24-105/4L decentred before or during a wedding shoot. Images looked fine on the screen but on the computer screen were visibly soft on the left side. Photos taken with other lenses were fine. The Canon repair centre concluded the lens had been dropped, but I can't remember anything significant.
The replacement lens was also decentred from new, but this was only visible with pixel peeping so I sold it.
For weddings and events I need confidence in my gear, so I didn't get a third lens. This is disappointing as my EF 24-105/4L gave me sterling service.
I bought an RF 24/1.8 and RF 85/2, which are great lenses, especially the 85mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My first RF 24-105/4L decentred before or during a wedding shoot. Images looked fine on the screen but on the computer screen were visibly soft on the left side. Photos taken with other lenses were fine. The Canon repair centre concluded the lens had been dropped, but I can't remember anything significant.
The replacement lens was also decentred from new, but this was only visible with pixel peeping so I sold it.
For weddings and events I need confidence in my gear, so I didn't get a third lens. This is disappointing as my EF 24-105/4L gave me sterling service.
I bought an RF 24/1.8 and RF 85/2, which are great lenses, especially the 85mm.
I have high expectations in the lens, knowing the RF 70-200/4 and the praise from other people.
I don't use it professionally, but would like to have a flawless lens when I pay 1.300€.
I received my RF 24/1.8 some days ago and it was excellent just after doing the same tests.

I told the shop to exchange the lens and ordered another one at another shop. I will keep the better copy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I received another lens from another shop and it was better than the first one.
I also received the adjusted lens back from the shop (no exchange, adjustment done by Canon Austria), and now this lens is noticably sharper than the other lens in the center wide open and about the same in the corner and edges.
At MFD and 105 it is still not as sharp as it s at 60cm or further away. But I won't use it at MFD anyway and I guess it won't get better with another copy.
So I'll keep the adjusted lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0