Adobe Announces the December Update to Lightroom

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>From the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/adobe-announces-the-december-update-to-lightroom/">Lightroom Journal</a>:</strong></p>
<p>Today we’re proud to release updates to the entire <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html">Lightroom CC</a> ecosystem, including for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and the web, as well as updates to Lightroom Classic CC and Adobe Camera Raw. We’ve added support for new <a href="https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html">cameras</a> and <a href="https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html">lenses</a>, and added some great new features.</p>
<p>Please note that we are moving to a new blog home.  Check it out <a href="https://theblog.adobe.com/creativity/photography/">here</a></p>
<p><strong>New Auto Settings, powered by Adobe Sensei</strong></p>
<p>Auto has been completely reworked to create better results, every time. Using an advanced neural network powered by <a href="http://www.adobe.com/sensei.html" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Adobe Sensei</a>, our artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning platform, the new Auto Settings creates a better photo by analyzing your photo and comparing to tens of thousands of professionally edited photos to create a beautiful, pleasing image.  The new Auto is available ecosystem wide, including in Lightroom CC, Lightroom CC for iOS, Lightroom CC for Android, Lightroom CC on the web, Lightroom Classic, and Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).<!--more--></p>
<p>The December update includes other great features across the ecosystem:</p>
<p><strong>Lightroom CC on Desktop</strong></p>
<p><strong><em>Tone Curve</em><i>

</i></strong>The Tone Curve is one of the most popular tools used by photographers for advanced control over the tonality, contrast, and color balance of an image. You can use either the Parametric Curve or the Point Curve modes to tune the tonality and contrast of the image, and the Red, Green, and Blue modes to adjust the color balance and stylize your image. The Tone Curve lives next to the Auto button in the Light panel — check it out and let us know what you think.</p>
<p><strong><em>Split Toning</em><i>

</i></strong>Split Toning allows you to stylize your photo through color tints in the highlights and shadows of your image. You can use the Split Toning tool to simulate traditional black and white tints and toners like sepia or selenium toners, simulate printing on colored paper, or create a modern stylization on color images. Split Toning lives in the Effects panel.</p>

<p><strong><em>Change Capture Time</em><i>

</i></strong>Lightroom CC now enables you to adjust the capture time, for both single photos as well as a set of photos, providing relief for those times that you forgot to change your camera’s time or time zone settings. Select a photo (or series of photos) and use the pencil icon in the Info panel to change capture time. Lightroom CC will update the capture date and make sure that your photos show up on the right day and time in the organize view, making it easier to find your photos when you need them.</p>
<p>View your photos in full screen by using either the F key or by navigating to View-> Detail Full Screen.</p>
<p><strong>Android</strong></p>
<p>In addition to the new Auto described above, we added the following to Lightroom CC on Android:</p>
<ul>
<li>App Shortcuts — For Android Nougat and later devices, tap and hold on the app icon to quickly launch the app into popular modes.</li>
<li>More control for managing storage.</li>
<li>Resolved an issue that prevented some Huawei customers from importing images.</li>
<li>Resolved an issue that caused a crash for some Pixel 2 customers on export.</li>
<li>Resolved a problem that prevented some Samsung customers from installing the previous version.</li>
<li>Bug fixes and speed improvements.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>iOS</strong></p>
<p>In addition to the new Auto described above, we added the following to Lightroom CC on iOS:</p>
<ul>
<li><i>Watermarking on export — Create and customize a text based watermark for use when exporting your image from Lightroom CC on iOS.</i></li>
<li>Improved quality to HDR capturing.</li>
<li>Bug fixes and speed improvements.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Lightroom Classic and Adobe Camera Raw</strong></p>
<p>In addition to the new Auto described above, we’ve made a refinement to the Color Range Masking tool.  Based on your feedback, we’ve made it easier to remove individual sample points. You can do this by holding down the Alt (Win) or Option (Mac) key while using your mouse to select the sample point.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Lightroom Classic CC</a> also now supports tethered capture with the Nikon D850 camera.</p>
<p>An update to Lightroom 6 for perpetual licensed customers for new camera support will be available on December 19th.</p>
<p>We’ve excited about the December update, and can’t wait to hear your thoughts and feedback.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Sadly I now read every Adobe PR release with nothing but trepidation. Lightroom was always convenient if not particularly robust or efficient but I can’t see how it’s worth the development uncertainty going forward . Going to set aside some project time this winter to explore some of the alternatives. Photoshop remains the gold standard for me for multi layered editing but I think I’m getting off the Lightroom train at the first convenient exit. Can’t see the value in investing any more energy into a database with an uncertain future. A cloud based solution is not something I am interested in pursuing and the idea of Adobe’s image bots rooting through my catalogs makes my skin crawl.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Sadly I now read every Adobe PR release with nothing but trepidation. Lightroom was always convenient if not particularly robust or efficient

The latest version of Lightroom is much faster than any other product out there that I've tried in image load times of 30-40MB RAWs, and in the time it takes between picking a image and being able to manipulate it. It's also by far the best application for printing, in my opinion.

There are plenty of nice features in other RAW processors not in Lightroom, but it seems to me that every other RAW processor is missing something pretty major, or does something important to me really poorly (like catalog management or printing). That's not to say that there aren't plenty of LR features that I think are pretty worthless, like the entire Web, Slideshow, and Book areas.

I know it's an unpopular sentiment amongst some here to support a monthly-fee product, but I've actually grown to like Lightroom a lot more in the last while. If you absolutely refuse to support a product that's only available as a subscription, that's perfectly within your rights. However, I would suggest that to say that Lightroom hasn't improved or added genuine improvements and useful features is just bashing a product that you haven't tried. There are many great Lightroom features that are now only available in the subscription version, such as the new masking features and improved speed; and previewed, the new machine-learning subject selection features.

Keep in mind also that Lightroom CC Classic is not a cloud-based application. It's the same sort of desktop program that every version of Lightroom for Windows or Mac that came out before it was. It's just how you pay for it. No different than Photoshop CC is the same type of application as Photoshop CS. There's nothing particularly cloud about any of these.

Personally, I'm fine with a subscription, because whether I use C1, DXO, or Lightroom, I'd buy all the updated versions anyhow -- if for no other reason than that I keep buying cameras and lenses, and I need the new profiles to support my new gear. Plus, all of these pieces of software do add genuine improvements and new operating system support with most versions. I'm also fine with it because it happens to be a cheap way to license Photoshop, which I would otherwise be buying at least 3 copies of.

I think that I'm ok with subscriptionware as long as the pricing model per year less than about a third to two thirds of buying the software without expiry (depending on how frequently I'd update it, because there are some applications I use that I skip on some years). Realistically, for me, there are very few major software applications I use that I don't upgrade within 3 years.

Upvote 0
bwud said:
“ the new Auto Settings creates a better photo by analyzing your photo and comparing to tens of thousands of professionally edited photos to create a beautiful, pleasing image.”

Well hot damn, just what I’ve always wanted: pictures which look like tens of thousands of other pictures.

Precisely. You hear all too often - make a point of difference between yourself and others - stand-out by being different. This just killed that option out of the box - if you choose to use it, of course. I use standalone, so this wont affect me.

The only addition I was hoping for was an update to the Book module to allow for layflat option with Blurb. I hope this is in the rollout. The rest doesn't really appeal to me at all.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
AUGS said:
bwud said:
“ the new Auto Settings creates a better photo by analyzing your photo and comparing to tens of thousands of professionally edited photos to create a beautiful, pleasing image.”

Well hot damn, just what I’ve always wanted: pictures which look like tens of thousands of other pictures.

Precisely. You hear all too often - make a point of difference between yourself and others - stand-out by being different. This just killed that option out of the box - if you choose to use it, of course. I use standalone, so this wont affect me.

The only addition I was hoping for was an update to the Book module to allow for layflat option with Blurb. I hope this is in the rollout. The rest doesn't really appeal to me at all.

You have to enable the auto feature, they have merely updated it, its there in the standalone. I just tried it on my iphone with a difficult photo and it looks pretty good. Dark areas lightened without blowing out bright ones. From there, its much less work to tweak the exposure.

Upvote 0
Don’t think I said anything about the subscription model although the increased
earnings from subscriptions may be what is driving adobe to look for a way to squeeze more
revenue out of Lightroom. I don’t have a crystal ball or any inside Info but I think the “classic” version of Lightroom is on the way out. If Adobe thinks their earnings will benefit from you being on their cloud based platform than that’s the only platform they are going to offer. It’s just that simple. If it works well for you now as a RAW converter that’s great. I don’t want to invest a lot of time into the data base (keywording etc) of a program with a hazy future. This is not my first time to the rodeo.

I think Adobe’s vision is Lightroom as a sort of instagram on steroids and not a tool for photographers. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Graphic.Artifacts said:
I think Adobe’s vision is Lightroom as a sort of instagram on steroids and not a tool for photographers. Time will tell.

I think you’re completely off with that assessment. Adobe sees Lightroom as their primary tool for photographers, one in which they are incorporating some easy to apply settings for certain users/uses.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
bwud said:

So you don't use AF or AE because you want to be different?

True artists never settle for convenience!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
I updated. The new build is reeeeeeally slow and uses a ton more memory. I hope there is a big fix update.

YuengLinger said:
bwud said:

So you don't use AF or AE because you want to be different?

True artists never settle for convenience!

Not sure how you arrived at that. I don’t use AE because I prefer to control things. I do use AF when appropriate, but I tell the lens where to focus as best I can. Neither of those mimic prior images.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
bwud said:

Well, I'm afraid it's what many others actually want <G>. Soon they will add "styles", I guess, so one will be able better to copy the fashionable style of some photographer.

Anyway, Auto was already there - it's just been improved. I seldom use it, and always just like a starting point only. This one is no different.

But the old Kodak motto "you press the button, we do the rest" it's what sold well in the past, and will sell well in the future.. just soon cameras will press the button also, Google already shown one...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The old auto exposure feature was generally useless, the new revised one brings most images close to where I like them. I tried it on already edited raw low light photos that are difficult to edit, and almost half of them did not change at all, about one third of them were improved, and the rest still suffered. That is a huge improvement.

I'm almost tempted to turn it on while importing images. When you need to edit a couple thousand, getting them close is a time saver. The auto white balance feature still ruins more photos than it helps. The issue is that many theatrical images are captured under colored lighting and I wish to keep the vivid colors and not balance faces to white. The auto white balance does a good job now of balancing skin tones to white light, but it ruins photos captured with colored lighting. I won't be turning auto on there.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Chaitanya said:
bereninga said:
Does anyone actually use the CC version instead of the Classic?
I am on standalone, not sure if any Standalone users have even moved to CC yet.

There is no standalone as far as I can see

http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html

and by standalone, I mean, once off download, NO cloud, NO subscription. Nothing.

Upvote 0