Adobe Announces the December Update to Lightroom

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
bergstrom said:
There is no standalone as far as I can see
http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html
and by standalone, I mean, once off download, NO cloud, NO subscription. Nothing.

It's not easy to find, but you can still buy LR6 standalone:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html?filters=cd_252Fphotography&page=2#

Don't know for how long.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
LDS said:
bergstrom said:
There is no standalone as far as I can see
http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html
and by standalone, I mean, once off download, NO cloud, NO subscription. Nothing.

It's not easy to find, but you can still buy LR6 standalone:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html?filters=cd_252Fphotography&page=2#

Don't know for how long.

It's also on Amazon

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Like many others, I won't be migrating my LR6 to CC whatever annoying cloud / subscription variant they offer. Its not about cost for me, but about the ability to retain control over my data.

anyone use Affinity Photo from Serif? it tempts me, but I don't see any trials to test with. Curious if it's a decent LR or CS replacement.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
snappy604 said:
Like many others, I won't be migrating my LR6 to CC whatever annoying cloud / subscription variant they offer. Its not about cost for me, but about the ability to retain control over my data.

What do you mean by that? Nothing about the CC forces you to relinquish control of your data. You can use their cloud if you want to, but I sync nothing.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
"What do you mean by that? Nothing about the CC forces you to relinquish control of your data. You can use their cloud if you want to, but I sync nothing."

hmm your question made me do a bit more homework and I see adobe did some work towards what I thought would occur (you retain access to the library/non-destructive adjustments you've made, just the develop module ceases to work).. cool, but I still dislike subscription models. I'd like to retain control to continue to edit even if I don't want to upgrade. I don't like being controlled with things like perpetual rent. I don't tend to lease vehicles either, I purchase.

There's also aspects about data collection when you're on cloud based services. There was a lovely incident with them a few years ago where a lot of user data was leaked.

Fine they changed their model... fine I'll change my choice of editing software :) it's the lovely thing about choice. No issues if you want to remain on that model, I do not. The question still stands, anyone use Affinity Photo that can give any insight if it's a decent value or not?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Finally got to take the new update for a good test drive. To me, faster and with less slider lag than ever, even with lots of local adjustments. Seems very stable.

And, yes, the AUTO feature actually works very well now, providing a good starting point in sunny day pics (so far). And I noticed that the VIBRANCE and SATURATION sliders are also involved in AUTO now.

AND, this is the best news, the update seems to have fixed a scary problem where my backup of a catalog started on an older computer was getting corrupted. Phew! (The problem started happening right after I updated to Windows 10 build 1709.)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
YuengLinger said:
Finally got to take the new update for a good test drive. To me, faster and with less slider lag than ever, even with lots of local adjustments. Seems very stable.

And, yes, the AUTO feature actually works very well now, providing a good starting point in sunny day pics (so far). And I noticed that the VIBRANCE and SATURATION sliders are also involved in AUTO now.

AND, this is the best news, the update seems to have fixed a scary problem where my backup of a catalog started on an older computer was getting corrupted. Phew! (The problem started happening right after I updated to Windows 10 build 1709.)

If you use sidecar XMP files instead of storing changes in the catalog, you'll protect yourself from corruption (as long as you back up both the image and xmp).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jedy said:
The main issue with Lightroom CC (apart from the monthly cost) is the forced upgrades that will likely contain bugs (and may not work perfectly with my OS version) and future forced updates will eventually no longer work with my computer. Standalone version for me.

Yet more inaccurate information about Adobe products. You are never forced to do an upgrade. I have old HDD's running ancient versions of LR quite happily for archiving reasons, Adobe even give you a simple button option to download the latest version of a program that will run on your OS. You can even install a new legacy OS on a new HDD and Adobe will automatically tell you what the youngest software version will run with it and allow you to install it, how many software companies maintain that kind of legacy capability?

The screenshot below shows the versions I can download to my current OS, earlier OS's give me more options all the way back to caveman times.

I can understand people not wanting to pay a monthly fee for a multiple of reasons, but inaccurate info about the way it actually works drives me mad, where do people form these bulls!t opinions from and post them as facts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.23.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.23.33 AM.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Talys said:
YuengLinger said:

If you use sidecar XMP files instead of storing changes in the catalog, you'll protect yourself from corruption (as long as you back up both the image and xmp).

That is a good tip, which, fortunately, I learned about long ago. Believe me, even with the XMP files, rebuilding a catalog with directories, etc, and losing presets because of the corrupted backup, is no fun. Reliable backups are part of a smooth workflow. I'm glad they fixed the problem!

Upvote 0
I find the LR Classic version 7.1 much faster in transfers of 5D4 30MB files, doing transfer and previews at the same time, probably 40-50% faster than before.

The new range masking feature is a huge plus in editing. I am happy to pay for the subscription. Like other posters have said, most of us spend $10 on frivolous stuff daily or weekly. IMO, the other alternatives do not offer all the combined features that LRCC does...no I do not work for Adobe!

Feliz navidad y próspero año nuevo

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
privatebydesign said:
jedy said:
The main issue with Lightroom CC (apart from the monthly cost) is the forced upgrades that will likely contain bugs (and may not work perfectly with my OS version) and future forced updates will eventually no longer work with my computer. Standalone version for me.

Yet more inaccurate information about Adobe products. You are never forced to do an upgrade. I have old HDD's running ancient versions of LR quite happily for archiving reasons, Adobe even give you a simple button option to download the latest version of a program that will run on your OS. You can even install a new legacy OS on a new HDD and Adobe will automatically tell you what the youngest software version will run with it and allow you to install it, how many software companies maintain that kind of legacy capability?

The screenshot below shows the versions I can download to my current OS, earlier OS's give me more options all the way back to caveman times.

I can understand people not wanting to pay a monthly fee for a multiple of reasons, but inaccurate info about the way it actually works drives me mad, where do people form these bulls!t opinions from and post them as facts?

Some people incorrect perceptions. I'm always skeptical about claims in a forum where I do not know the expertise level of the poster. Its not wrong to be ignorant about a feature, but to advertise it is embarrassing, and I am far too guilty of that.

Upvote 0