Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.8 Now Available, Adds EOS M5 Support

privatebydesign said:
cayenne said:
AvTvM said:
Adobe Defense League in full swing. :)

NO, we have PAID for our Adobe products. We don't have to LEAVE, we have every RIGHT to DEMAND proper and decent products and service from our software supplier Adobe. Unfortunately they seem neither able nor willing to get their act together with LR.

Yep..once they lock you into the "rental" mode...they don't need to care.

They have your money and have your work hostage....so, you just keep paying and live with it.

Welcome to the world of rental software.

cayenne

Not really, you choose to take advantage of the rental model or you buy other software, or in the case of LR you buy the stand alone perpetual license for $149 (at most).

True, you have that option...yet! I doubt it will be around for much longer...
I really don't see why I should pay more PER YEAR for the rental license, than I paid for the upgrade of the standalone version.
Point is, the rather incremental upgrades they have done so far, are really not worth the perpetual costs (at least to me), so there is no "advantage" of the rental model to me....

But, each to his own. :)

The only reason to upgrade was that LR5 did not support my new camera body.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
"Service" does not mean buggy software. It is of no relevance, whether customers paid for this month or for the full year in advance (!) or purchased a perpetual license.

Adobe owes us decent software and decent service. They are obliged to fulfill their end of the (rental) contract, once we have paid up. No matter, whether customer is a single individual or a large company.

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
Chaitanya said:
Still even after update LR crashes like crazy, even while moving between modules Lr keeps crashing. Adobe has F_____ up Lightroom and thanks to CC dont seem to be too keen on keeping offline software in works for far too long. Soon it will be Adios Adobe and hello On1.

You need to keep your video card driver's up to date. You may also need to update the VC. Or maybe your computer?

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
Chaitanya said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Chaitanya said:
Still even after update LR crashes like crazy, even while moving between modules Lr keeps crashing. Adobe has F_____ up Lightroom and thanks to CC dont seem to be too keen on keeping offline software in works for far too long. Soon it will be Adios Adobe and hello On1.

Its never crashed for me in the past two years.

Don't blame Adobe for your computer issue.

Its not just me but also many of my friends have been complaining of same issue. Also I have Intel 6 core CPU, 32Gigs of Ram, 1TB SSd and 2*4TB HDDs in RAID 1(where I keep my photos/videos) and Nvidia GTX 970. I dont think my PC should be cause of concern right now.

My PC's set up is similar to yours and I have had no issues whatsoever with crashes. I am using CC.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:

NO, we have PAID for our Adobe products. We don't have to LEAVE, we have every RIGHT to DEMAND proper and decent products and service from our software supplier Adobe. Unfortunately they seem neither able nor willing to get their act together with LR.

No, you paid for this month, you get service this month. If you want more than Adobe provide tough, go buy On1, Capture One, Afinity etc etc.

Pissy little one man band photographers have never been a key market for Adobe and I see no reason for that to change. All they do is whine and bitch about what they are 'owed', meanwhile the true creative company market, the ones that actually pay decent license fees can't get enough of the Adobe love and constant upgrades.

If photographers were truly important to Adobe they would show it, but look at where the development goes, there are Suite upgrades nearly every week............

You do work for Adobe.

Or you have especially bad indigestion.

Happy holidays, pissy cat. ::)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:

No, you paid for this month, you get service this month. If you want more than Adobe provide tough, go buy On1, Capture One, Afinity etc etc.

Pissy little one man band photographers have never been a key market for Adobe and I see no reason for that to change. All they do is whine and bitch about what they are 'owed', meanwhile the true creative company market, the ones that actually pay decent license fees can't get enough of the Adobe love and constant upgrades.

If photographers were truly important to Adobe they would show it, but look at where the development goes, there are Suite upgrades nearly every week............

You do work for Adobe.

;D Neither......

I believe I am pragmatic and live in a world where my opinion is worth zero to everybody apart from a small number of customers. I know I will never impact decisions made by multinational corporations so I am happy to purchase what they make if it suits my needs, and not give them anything if they don't. I am still shooting with 1DS MkIII's because, for my uses, I haven't been offered a compelling enough improvement/value option, yet I got the 11-24 on release because it did. Again, for my uses, Adobe CC Photographers Suite is good value and worthwhile, I understand if it isn't for others, but do look at the reality we live in when you don't like the choices you are offered. Adobe is and always has been primarily a business software supplier, that isn't changing.

That might make me sound like a Grinch on occasions, but I'd rather live in this reality than be a Mr Shouty who thinks if they shout the same thing enough times to people who have no say on the decision they will magically get what they say they want.

Upvote 0
I think that reference mode is a great addition, was waiting for sth like this for some time. You could do sth similar before with the "second screen" button, but the new implementation is much easier.
However, new version doesn't seem to be so stable yet, in one day of usage I had three crashes that needed a restart of lightroom. With the old version, I can't remeber it ever crashed (I'm on an iMac late 2013).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
privatebydesign said:
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:

You do work for Adobe.

;D Neither......

I believe I am pragmatic and live in a world where my opinion is worth zero to everybody apart from a small number of customers. I know I will never impact decisions made by multinational corporations so I am happy to purchase what they make if it suits my needs, and not give them anything if they don't. I am still shooting with 1DS MkIII's because, for my uses, I haven't been offered a compelling enough improvement/value option, yet I got the 11-24 on release because it did. Again, for my uses, Adobe CC Photographers Suite is good value and worthwhile, I understand if it isn't for others, but do look at the reality we live in when you don't like the choices you are offered. Adobe is and always has been primarily a business software supplier, that isn't changing.

That might make me sound like a Grinch on occasions, but I'd rather live in this reality than be a Mr Shouty who thinks if they shout the same thing enough times to people who have no say on the decision they will magically get what they say they want.

Still not sure why you feel it your duty to defend Adobe, but, whether you believe it or not, forums and social media have a part in allowing consumers to express opinions, raise concerns, and find others with similar difficulties when things are going wrong. One voice in one forum certainly doesn't get attention, but an aggregate of complaints leads companies paying attention to make corrections.

You really think companies, governments, politicians, celebrities live in a vacuum? Maybe they respond slowly, or too little, or wrongly, but consumers have voices, and the internet provides platforms on which we shout.

On a more serious note, I'm very glad your digestion is fine! Happy holidays, PBD!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:

You do work for Adobe.

;D Neither......

Still not sure why you feel it your duty to defend Adobe, but, whether you believe it or not, forums and social media have a part in allowing consumers to express opinions, raise concerns, and find others with similar difficulties when things are going wrong. One voice in one forum certainly doesn't get attention, but an aggregate of complaints leads companies paying attention to make corrections.

You really think companies, governments, politicians, celebrities live in a vacuum? Maybe they respond slowly, or too little, or wrongly, but consumers have voices, and the internet provides platforms on which we shout.

On a more serious note, I'm very glad your digestion is fine! Happy holidays, PBD!

I don't feel it my duty to defend Adobe, I do think it has some value pointing out the disconnect between what some of us think we are "owed" and the actual stated beliefs of the companies we believe "owe" us whatever it might be.

First off, the subscription model is business orientated, it was never designed to be a popular home/hobbyist choice, but to protect the business sales model the perpetual license had to be blocked. Anybody in business that uses Adobe products is financially better off with the subscription model, from a tax and payment structure point of view businesses would far rather pay a nominal monthly lease than have to purchase a license every 18 months.

Adobe are and always have been and see themselves as a business software supplier. Sure they have discount programs for education in the hopes that creatives carry that program knowledge through and end up working in an Adobe software environment, but that discounted feeder program has always had a sound financial cost benefit analysis behind it. That so many individuals have jumped on the bandwagon and used Adobe products for their home/hobby needs is pretty much irrelevant to Adobe.

Photoshop is a mature product, there really isn't a whole lot more places it can go and as the pixel editing core of the Suite it is pretty much complete. Support for new cameras will always require ACR updates. Lightroom is nothing more than a database built on the side of the ACR module, Bridge is considerably more powerful than LightRoom as a database and is much better integrated into the Suite.

Given these realities I don't understand what people think screaming and shouting will accomplish, it's like shouting outside a nightclub where you don't want to pay the price of admission and they are playing music you don't like anyway. The shouting isn't going to make them change the music, their clientele like the playlist and are happy with the membership fee!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
i will think of adobe now every time i pass one of the many formerly popular and roaring night clubs and bars that are bankrupt and closed now, because they got out of touch with their clients, they did not play the music we wanted to hear, asked too high admission fees and prices for drinks, and had too arrogant doormen during their heyday.

nobody would have any issue with adobe offering a subscription model for those who prefer it - alongside a fair perpetual license for those who prefer that. moving to (essentially) "subscription only" has solely been to the short-term (!) advantage of adobe and is rightfully pissing off many existing and potential customers. they are on the active lookout for alternatives now and will find them.

in my case, as soon as my LR 5 perpetual license does not support raws from my next camera(s). expected by mid 2017.

and btw, around the world, "creative industry" is made up of only very few larger companies and an overwhelming majority of small businesses and single entrepreneurs/self-employed professionals. adobe will get punished for their arrogance. especially when their core product ps is mature and fairly capable but also bogged down by a way too complex, unintuitive 1980s style user interface and resource hogging, performance-killing and increasingly error prone "spaghetti code".

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
The exact same rant that's been posted thousands of times before about Adobe's subscription

I see a huge amount of complaining online about Adobe's model, but not a lot of action.

Adobe doesn't care in the slightest about people complaining on photography forums. Vote with your wallet — Capture One supports the EOS M5, and can be bought standalone. I've been using it for nearly a year, and I love it.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Adobe does care. Any company cares about negative vibes in social media and forums. Our justified rants here HURT Adobe and their reputation directly. Even though the impact may not be felt or reflected in profits immediately.

I will evaluatem, once I have to - once I buy my next camera, possibly EOS M5 around mid-2017. Maybe I just go back to DPP, since it offers the best RAW converter for Canon files and by now it has most of the features I want and need. C1Pro is also a candidate, so is ON1 and Affinity Photo. Adobe will lose many customers like me. They may not care now, but they will cry after us when it is too late and their market share has plummeted. :)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Adobe does care. Any company cares about negative vibes in social media and forums. Our justified rants here HURT Adobe and their reputation directly. Even though the impact may not be felt or reflected in profits immediately.

At the beginning, yes. But the same group of photographers ranting on and on inside the echo chamber of a forum doesn't do the damage you think it does. Adobe is a corporation, and just like any other, the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Crying and whinging while continuing to pay Adobe money does nothing.

AvTvM said:
They may not care now, but they will cry after us when it is too late and their market share has plummeted. :)

Exactly — they will care when they start to lose money. Not before.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
iKenndac said:
AvTvM said:

At the beginning, yes. But the same group of photographers ranting on and on inside the echo chamber of a forum doesn't do the damage you think it does. Adobe is a corporation, and just like any other, the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Crying and whinging while continuing to pay Adobe money does nothing.

AvTvM said:
They may not care now, but they will cry after us when it is too late and their market share has plummeted. :)

Exactly — they will care when they start to lose money. Not before.

Yes, and they do not and never have seen the home/hobbyist market as one they are particularly interested in. They don't care about perpetual license because they decided it was not good for their business model, they have been proven right. Four years ago Adobe were in serious trouble, their business model just wasn't working with unpredictable revenue streams and hard to manage releases, not any longer, their market capital has tripled in five years, they are not hurting, they are not listening to you, they don't give a shit. They are listening to their core customers, the creative business users, they are constantly updating the suite in ways that make a difference to those users, mobile, cross platform integration, building apps, making cross platform websites and media, video, vector graphics etc etc etc.

Again, you are shouting outside a nightclub to change the music, the DJ doesn't care, he cares about the people who are paying to stay inside the club and their friends who also like the music and see the value for them.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
LordofTackle said:
True, you have that option...yet! I doubt it will be around for much longer...
I really don't see why I should pay more PER YEAR for the rental license, than I paid for the upgrade of the standalone version.
Point is, the rather incremental upgrades they have done so far, are really not worth the perpetual costs (at least to me), so there is no "advantage" of the rental model to me....

But, each to his own. :)

The only reason to upgrade was that LR5 did not support my new camera body.
Does anyone have any indication if the next version of LR will offer a stand alone license?

I'm on LR5 right now and still happy with it, but wondering if I should soon consider getting LR6 standalone, on the change that when LR7 comes out, it won't be offered with a stand alone license?

C

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
cayenne said:
Does anyone have any indication if the next version of LR will offer a stand alone license?

I'm on LR5 right now and still happy with it, but wondering if I should soon consider getting LR6 standalone, on the change that when LR7 comes out, it won't be offered with a stand alone license?

I have not read anything re. LR 7 availability as standalone or subscription only. But there is no risk to wait and see. Should Adobe go to subscription only for LR there will still be perpetual licenses of LR 6 available. Adobe cannot pull them from the market within seconds or even days. One more advantage compared to subscription model. :)

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
AvTvM said:
Adobe does care.
Clearly it does not.

By your own histrionic logic, if it did care, it would never have inflicted the deep personal hurt on you that you're having this monumentally infantile hissy-fit about.

Oh - and "being satisfied with Adobe's offerings" (including the subscription model) is not, in any universe, synonymous with being an "Adobe defender" (any more than liking Canon cameras makes someone a Canon defender).

Can you seriously not see the difference?

Maybe if you stopped taking personal offence at every last thing that happens to disagree with your narrow world view, you'd spend less time seeing conspiracy theories everywhere.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Otara said:
Im interested in Affinity - but they havent offered a trial mode for Windows that I can find.
The trial will be available in a couple of weeks - but they had a beta programme running for a while before Affinity 1.5 for Windows was released.

And it's excellent: so much so that even though I have no problems whatsoever with Adobe, its software or its subscription pricing, I'll be cancelling the Adobe Photography plan in the next couple of days.

I rarely use Lightroom any more (mainly using Photo Ninja these days), and now I have something that does everything that PhotoShop does for me.

So I simply have no need to maintain my financial relationship with Adobe.

And yes, I'm explaining this in plodding detail because I imagine that the Adobe-bashers on here simply won't be able to comprehend such a decision, coming as it does without the slightest bit of anti-Adobe angst...

Upvote 0