Adobe Releases Lightroom Classic CC v7.5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This release of Lightroom Classic CC rolls out new features and enhancements such as Book module update, customizing pages, uploading Presets and Profiles in bulk, support for new cameras and lenses, and bug fixes.
Book module enhancements
New Blurb Book styles and Paper type
In this release of Lightroom Classic CC, two new book types (Blurb Magazine and Blurb Trade Book) and a new paper type (Standard Layflat) have been introduced in the Book module.
New Blurb Book styles 
To access the new Blurb book styles, do the following:

Navigate to the Book module.
In the Book Settings panel on the right, click the Book drop-down list.
In the drop-down list, you can choose from Blurb Photo Book, PDF, JPEG, and the newly introduced Blurb Magazine and Blurb Trade Book.

New Paper type 

In the Book Settings panel, select Book as Blurb Photo Book.
In the Paper Type drop-down list, you can choose from Premium Lustre, Premium Matte, ProLine Uncoated, ProLine Pearl Photo, Standard...

Continue reading...

Need to check those book updates. I did a book recently and it was a pain. Lightroom was worse than many free tools from photolabs. Its only benefit was convenience of access to whole catalog, no need to export photos first and saving the book as a new collection but layouts and positioning were five years behind anything else in the market.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
For me Lightroom has gone to the dogs. It's slow and forever freezing and requiring a restart. Its very memory hungry and each update appears to be more unstable when they are supposed to be doing bug fixes.
What's really irritating is that when you load a raw picture it comes up nice ( I assume its how Canon would see the picture) and then changes to a more duller picture. I'm not sure if the file sizes are smaller that you'd see this happening - the 5DSR photos are quite large as raw files. (It doesn't happen with Jpgs)
The book module is a bit of a dose unless its a relatively small book. The only advantage is you can save it as a PDF for free. If you are printing a book with Blurb you are better off using their software

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
What's really irritating is that when you load a raw picture it comes up nice ( I assume its how Canon would see the picture) and then changes to a more duller picture.

This isn't Lightroom's fault. When you save a RAW file on your camera it adds a very low resolution JPEG thumbnail to the raw file, which Lightroom displays *until* Lightroom generates its own thumbnail directly from the raw data. The Canon JPEG is generated using Canon's "special sauce" JPEG algorithms which punch up the colour significantly. Lightroom's default thumbnail interpretation of the RAW file is more "honest".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What's really irritating is that when you load a raw picture it comes up nice ( I assume its how Canon would see the picture) and then changes to a more duller picture. I'm not sure if the file sizes are smaller that you'd see this happening - the 5DSR photos are quite large as raw files. (It doesn't happen with Jpgs)

That's what RAW processing is about. You loose all the default processing from camera and go with the negative (RAW file) - you need to process it to get the picture you like. The benefit is that you can get much more than default in camera processing can do, you have full control and you can get a creative look. The disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time if you do that for every single photo you take.

It means you need to figure out what your workflow is and how to quickly sort out which photos are keepers and which are not. You can still get very good fast results similar to in-camera processing. There are plenty of presets in Lightroom (you can add yours as well or buy more online) and camera profiles which can simulate a lot of what in-camera processing does for you by default. So if you don't like spending time on RAW processing you can use that for large batches while still keeping flexibility of getting back to pictures where you want to be creative and don't want to use out of the box look.

If you want the image processed by camera you need to shoot JPEG (or JPEG and RAW) with all the massive disadvantages and limitations the format brings.

Upvote 0
too bad they did not fit auto stacking. A good HDR autostack function is needed as well as auto stacking for Pans and focus stacking

On a bright and shining day in the future cameras will have an option to mark bracketed photos for HDR processing in post (c.f. the previous DPOF button that no-one never used) and Lightroom will act on that tag. First-world problem I know, but an easy one to fix.

Jim

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
This isn't Lightroom's fault. When you save a RAW file on your camera it adds a very low resolution JPEG thumbnail to the raw file, which Lightroom displays *until* Lightroom generates its own thumbnail directly from the raw data. The Canon JPEG is generated using Canon's "special sauce" JPEG algorithms which punch up the colour significantly. Lightroom's default thumbnail interpretation of the RAW file is more "honest".

And then you should be able to punch it up to your heart's content in LR.

Upvote 0
I know this is my first post, I have been a lurker for a long time.

I am actively trying to get away from Lightroom, I have bought every version (eventually) but on my own schedule rather than theirs, nothing in this new version is relevant to me, all my Canon camera bodies are fairly old apart from the 7Dmkii and my lenses are all last generation (at least since the 70-200 f4 update :)) I get nothing from the subscription currently, version 6 was ok but I would have liked to have it on more than two laptops, there is only me and I can only use one at a time but I have many laptops and it would have been nice to have it on more than two.

The main problem in trying to escape their clutches is the catalogue media management partly because it is good, I think they use SQLite as the database and a very fine database that is however I am going to use SQL Server Express and I think it will be quicker, I've already written a scanner and database schema which will automatically de-duplicate or rather show me duplicates if they exist, the scanner decomposes a file system path into its fundamental elements, I use it in other commercial applications but really want to use it for my photography as well.

My intention is to initially create a replacement for Lightroom's catalogues including all the metadata management, some of that might be hard but I'm only going to support CR2 files to start with, probably JPG and TIFF as well but no other manufacturer's proprietary formats, I'm old still working and I only have so much time on my hands :D

It might never happen, I am getting old but I am also getting angry :D

I looked at Luminar and I do quite like it, I found it can be launched from the command line with a filename parameter however it is a bit stupid about where it writes the .lmnr file when you save, so if I manage to build an asset manger I hope to be able to launch various editors and Luminar would be one possible candidate, the problem these days is that all of these external editors are quite heavy processes to launch, some more so than others.

If I do this it will be Windows only at least to start with, Canon and common file formats only, it won't be commercial and it won't be on an ad stuffed website, but as I said might never happen, I've started a lot of projects over the years that I never finished :)

Just angry at Adobe taking away the perpetual licence with version 7 :(

Upvote 0
My intention is to initially create a replacement for Lightroom's catalogues including all the metadata management, some of that might be hard but I'm only going to support CR2 files to start with :D

Not exactly sure what are you trying to do and if it is even worth it. Most of processing of the CR2 is specific to Camera RAW / Lightroom and is not transferable to another editor. EXIF and IPTC metadata may be stored directly in CR2 files (not sure about that) so the only thing which you may want to "replace" is some library features like collections, keywording, etc. Perhaps you should first check if a new manager you want to use does not have import from Lightroom or if one is not already available from someone else.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Analogy aside there is an oft misunderstood aspect of Lightroom subscription many just don't understand. If you stop paying then the program still opens and all your images are still visible, you can still export any or all images with the edits you originally made, nothing to do with your image files is lost or inaccessible ever. Some of the modules won't open, Book, Map etc.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I think they use SQLite as the database and a very fine database that is however I am going to use SQL Server Express and I think it will be quicker,

AFAIK SQL Server Express is limited to a 10GB database (plus other limitations) - it could be quicker or slower, depending on many factors. Adobe required also something that could work on macOS, and even Android/iOS.

Yet I would like to see LR supporting an external database and allow a catalog to be used by concurrent users - even if I'm afraid if it even happens, it will happen now in the cloud.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Could you buy the Internet or a phone network? Yet some people prefer to buy an house instead of renting it.

That's the difference.
And thats the point, for some people it is smarter to buy, for others it is smarter to rent, one isn't 'right' and the other 'wrong' and people shouldn't criticize people that think a different path from theirs is wrong.

They also shouldn't criticize companies that choose to become rental agents, if it suits you sign up, if it doesn't don't.

Upvote 0