Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>Strong Cash Flow and Earnings Highlight Third Quarter Results</em></p>
<p><strong>SAN JOSE, Calif. — Sept. 19, 2017</strong> — Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today reported financial results for its third quarter fiscal year 2017 ended

Sept. 1, 2017.</p>
<p><strong>Financial Highlights</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>Adobe achieved record quarterly revenue of $1.84 billion in its third quarter of fiscal year 2017, which represents 26 percent yearover-year

revenue growth.</li>
<li>Diluted earnings per share was $0.84 on a GAAP-basis, and $1.10 on a non-GAAP basis.</li>
<li>Digital Media segment revenue was $1.27 billion, with Creative revenue growing to $1.06 billion.</li>
<li>Digital Media Annualized Recurring Revenue (“ARR”) grew to $4.87 billion exiting the quarter, a quarter-over-quarter increase of $308 million.</li>
<li>Adobe Experience Cloud achieved revenue of $508 million, which represents 26 percent year-over-year growth.</li>
<li>Operating income grew 48 percent and net income grew 55 percent year-over-year on a GAAP-basis; operating income grew 43 percent and net income grew 46 percent year-over-year on a non-GAAP basis.</li>
<li>Cash flow from operations was $704 million, and deferred revenue grew to approximately $2.20 billion.</li>
<li>The company repurchased approximately 2.1 million shares during the quarter, returning $298 million of cash to stockholders.</li>
</ul>
<p>A reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP results is provided at the end of this press release and on Adobe’s website.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

This type of thing makes me very annoyed. Where is the incentive for Adobe to improve their products or even make them work properly when they are raking in this much money? I can't believe so many people have bought into this vision of a world where everyone pays up whether the products are being developed or not.
At least when we paid to upgrade then Adobe had to put some interesting new features in each version or their revenue would dry up. Now the money keeps coming in regardless.
Well I have had enough - what are the other options? Is Capture One the only realistic alternative to Lightroom?

Upvote 0
Ian_of_glos said:
This type of thing makes me very annoyed. Where is the incentive for Adobe to improve their products or even make them work properly when they are raking in this much money? I can't believe so many people have bought into this vision of a world where everyone pays up whether the products are being developed or not.
At least when we paid to upgrade then Adobe had to put some interesting new features in each version or their revenue would dry up. Now the money keeps coming in regardless.
Well I have had enough - what are the other options? Is Capture One the only realistic alternative to Lightroom?

Ugh, I'm with you man. I've moved off of the entire suite (I have CS6), though I still use LR Stand-alone. IF they improve LR, and offer a stand-alone license I'll consider buying it. However, if I find a better alternative I'll move from Adobe in a heart beat.

I hate what they've done to creative professionals, with the holding of tools hostage.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
daphins said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Ugh, I'm with you man. I've moved off of the entire suite (I have CS6), though I still use LR Stand-alone. IF they improve LR, and offer a stand-alone license I'll consider buying it. However, if I find a better alternative I'll move from Adobe in a heart beat.

I hate what they've done to creative professionals, with the holding of tools hostage.

What bulls!t. If a creative professional can't afford $7.99 a month then they aren't very creative. If they are creative they can afford the fees which are a lot easier to find than a one off license fee many times that amount, PS as a standalone was generally in the $600-700 range.

If they are at school/college/university they can get a crazy good 'educational discount'. If they have half a brain and want to 'stick it to the man' they can get a pirated fully functional copy of CC for nothing but the 30 mins it takes to install. Nobody is holding tools hostage.

As for the development, there have been many improvements to LR and PS over the last three years, the thing is they go unnoticed and unappreciated by those who have taken a stand against the corporate evil. Now we don't have the big new releases people don't add up the various changes and improvements that have been introduced.

I can understand people who say I am not comfortable paying monthly for a product, I can understand people who want a 'perpetual' license. But I can't understand this constant Adobe bashing, they said what they are going to do, they said why they had to do it (and they did have to do it as they were going bankrupt) and they did it, you have the choice, accept their decision to not go bankrupt and get either buy their products or not. Saying you hate them is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
What bulls!t. If a creative professional can't afford $7.99 a month then they aren't very creative.

If they are at school/college/university they can get a crazy good 'educational discount'.

Absolute rubbish (or garbage)! The UK educational price is £9.98 ($13) a month - http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/buy/students.html. In the USA it is $9.95/month http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:
What bulls!t. If a creative professional can't afford $7.99 a month then they aren't very creative.

If they are at school/college/university they can get a crazy good 'educational discount'.

Absolute rubbish (or garbage)! The UK educational price is £9.98 ($13) a month - http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/buy/students.html. In the USA it is $9.95/month http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html

Oh my! What's that, one and a half Starbucks instead of one?

I know educators who are paying next to nothing for the full Adobe suite.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:

A freshly brewed Starbucks coffee is as low as $1.85, which is 5 per monthly description. Your knowledge of Starbucks prices matches that of your knowledge of Adobe pricing.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:

A freshly brewed Starbucks coffee is as low as $1.85, which is 5 per monthly description. Your knowledge of Starbucks prices matches that of your knowledge of Adobe pricing.

Alan, I pay $7.99 for Adobe Creative Cloud Photographers Plan, and I have since I first got it over two years ago. The deals are regularly posted here on CR, B&H, Canon Price Watch etc.

I know several people on 'educators' plans that pay next to nothing (under $20 a month) for the full suite.

My White Chocolate Mocha is $4.95 before tax and tip, what can I say.....

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:
AlanF said:
privatebydesign said:

Alan, I pay $7.99 for Adobe Creative Cloud Photographers Plan, and I have since I first got it over two years ago. The deals are regularly posted here on CR, B&H, Canon Price Watch etc.

I know several people on 'educators' plans that pay next to nothing (under $20 a month) for the full suite.

My White Chocolate Mocha is $4.95 before tax and tip, what can I say.....

I doubt very much that you give a $14 tip to bring it up to 1 very expensive coffee per Adobe subscription. At $4.95, you are drinking a venti size, which if made with whole milk and whipped cream, contains 620 calories. That is very bad for your health and I would not like to have your contributions cut short by a coronary.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Actually, more profit means more money to hire programmers and make improvements. I doubt if its the photographer program that is raking in the dough, its the large companies that pay out the big bucks, and licensing actually works out better for them.

That's not how this works, that's not how went of this works. More profit means more executive payout, means share buybacks, means higher share price . Programmers are many lines above under the r&d costs. Profit means they *could* add r&d and remain profitable, but it doesn't mean they have to or will.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Those results have probably delayed Lightroom 2016 to 2020.
I don't mind the subscription model (the discounting is a pain in the arse - everyone should pay the same).
You couldn't say they've improved Lightroom or Photoshop much in the last two years. It's almost all bug fixes and camera lens updates.
I think they've run out of ideas.
Piracy will become a bigger issue for them if they don't start improving them. If one of the other companies could get very smart on selection tools and making composites easy I'd stop with Adobe. Affinity is quite good.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
There is always a lot of heat in discussions about Adobe.
Being the 800lb gorilla in the market makes you the overdog and a target.

I have been using Adobe products since the early 90's and have used a lot of the competition.
While there is always room for improvement I find myself in conversations with many photographers who are very satisfied with how Adobe products work for them.

Speed? Yes, some operations seem slow at time but as I am using 50MP files I guess I am not surprised. The only function that is unacceptable from the standpoint of speed is lens blur. So I don't use it. I have found a variety of fast and flexible tools in PS that obviate its need.

Capture One has never been intuitive nor seems to have a quality advantage. It is just a different flavor. So for the effort I prefer the workflow of LR.

Price: I pay $10 a month. This runs my business that grosses a 6 figure income.
I pay $2.85 for a fancy coffee 4 times a month and get 10 minutes of relaxation and an encyclopedic knowledge of local restrooms.

Adobe makes a lot of money. Good for them. They convinced a lot of people that they provided value for money. Anyone wailing that they MUST have Adobe products is deceiving themselves. The list of products that are "almost as good as Photoshop or Lightroom" is endless according to their fans.
That is great. The fact that they can aspire to Adobe's revenue stream will incentivize them to make a better business argument for switching.

OTOH the current crop of dissatisfied clients seem to be those who don't want to pay prices that would support a comprehensive app lineup or the service that that demands. IOW the loudest voices are the ones who want cheap, fast, mad features and the ability to run on a 6 year old laptop with 1GB of RAM.

Those guys are not on anyone's marketing radar.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Do you watch the same movie over and over again on Netflix and never a new one? Do you drink a fresh coffee each time or regurgitate the drink old one again? Because that is what you are doing when you use Adobe software. Paying for Netflix and Spotify is not an "investment" for most people. Comparisons with paying for totally different, luxury goods is irrelevant to renting software.

In the past year, I have used much of the Adobe Creative Suite (CS6, not CC) to produce a textbook with InDesign, annotated proofs with Acrobat Professional, diagrams with Illustrator and PS for scientific work. Adobe software is among the least intuitive I have the misfortune to use, matched only by some of PS competitors.

It's the Adobe ransomware business model I hate - it smacks of forced taxation that the Vikings imposed on us and we kicked them out. I don't mind renting my cloud storage because it requires ongoing use of servers etc. But, I don't want to be forced to rent for ever and ever software that hardly changes from one decade to the next. I want to have the choice, as I do for my car, laptop, phone etc to buy them outright and not have them taken away if I stop paying. Steve Jobs hated Adobe, and he could hardly be described as someone "who want cheap, fast, mad features and the ability to run on a 6 year old laptop with 1GB of RAM".

Up to CS6, my lab provided Adobe licenses routinely. Now, because of the cloud model it has stopped and we have Adobe just when absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
All this arguing about whether the monthly price is high/low missed the point of the original poster: that if the company is making record profits, maybe they could invest some of that in making the products slightly less sh$t.

Reading that they're raking in the profit only tells me that I shouldn't feel bad at all about not paying at all! ;D

Upvote 0