Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

It's interesting to know that companies have no shame to offer the same product at different prices - just to test if lab mice customers can accept the higher price. It will be also interesting to know if that is based on users profiling ("Apple users may found the higher price more acceptable"...)

Anyway it looks they are trying to force people to buy 1TB cloud storage anyway - removing the option with 20GB only. And probably trying to see if that boosts the sales of "Cloud Lightroom". As most companies, they are now obsessed in collecting users data points.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Adobe is tinkering with the idea of doubling the price of the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, as the $10/mth plan has vanished from the Adobe site and for some users, the cheapest price many people will see will be $20/mth.
With the Photography Plan, you also received cloud storage from Adobe. With the $10 plan, you received 20GB of storage, the new $20 plan gives 1TB of storage.

However, if you only use the software and not the storage, the doubling of the plan price has no real advantage for you.
PetaPixel reached out to an Adobe representative and received this response:
“From time to time, we run tests on Adobe.com which cover a range of items, including plan options that may or may not be presented to all visitors to Adobe.com. We are currently running a number of tests on Adobe.com.”
If you’re worried the $10/mth plan will vanish in the future, you can...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Marketing trick. Float an unreasonable price, then actual price ( I'm betting it will go to $14.99) seems palatable.
That's about what we poor Europeans are already paying...but for 20 GB! :poop:
Too bad I hate Capture one...yet, updating Capture one isn't cheap either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
I never really understand why people willingly go into the "rental" model when ownership is available. And using their cloud? Just how secure is it really?

I'm pretty much going to avoid Adobe now - I have yet to embrace the monthly payment plan, and have been using a previous version of Lightroom for the last couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That's about what we poor Europeans are already paying...but for 20 GB! :poop:
Too bad I hate Capture one...yet, updating Capture one isn't cheap either.

You might look into On1 RAW as a LR substitute. I've been using it for a bit over a year now I think and so far, I'm impressed.

I knew Adobe CC would start jacking up prices once they got their claws into everyone. I just do NOT like the rental model for software.

There are more and MORE viable alternatives for Adobe products that are not subscription.<P>

Davinci Resolve (especially with version 16 coming) - Can replace Premier, After Effects, Audition, and then as a bonus you get some of the best Color Grading software out there. The free version does everything about 98% of the people out there need.

Affinity Photo - Can replace Photoshop pretty readily, faster engine too.

On1 RAW (and others) - replacement for LR.

Affinity has replacements for Designer and with Publisher coming out soon, should be a viable alternative to other Adobe offerings.

I was thinking.....why doesn't Adobe offer their CC offerings WITHOUT cloud storage? I mean, not everyone needs cloud storage just to use their tools locally, where most people do their work, right?

Why don't the offer that option and keep the prices low?

cayenne

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was thinking.....why doesn't Adobe offer their CC offerings WITHOUT cloud storage? I mean, not everyone needs cloud storage just to use their tools locally, where most people do their work, right?

Why don't the offer that option and keep the prices low?
Even better, why not just offer the software for FREE? I mean, everyone likes free, right?

Damn that pesky desire for profit...

• Sad
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I see that the plan is offered both with 20 GB and with 1 TB cloud storage at B&H. It appears that its just another tier option for those who use cloud storage. I'm using it, because I use Adobe CC on my iPhone. I was trying to figure out the best way to get rid of those photos last night, the number has grown to be too high. I've used my phone as a method to backup images taken while traveling, even if they are jpg, I have a backup. They have long ago been loaded on my servers in raw format at home.

Upvote 0
I switched over to Capture One a few months ago and I wish I did it sooner. Can't replace Photoshop with anything just yet. Provided they don't change the price of the full suite that includes Premiere and AE, I'm unaffected. I've got no problem switching to Avid if that happens, and I know a lot of my peers will, too. It's already a questionable call to keep paying for that service.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0