Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

I switched over to Capture One a few months ago and I wish I did it sooner. Can't replace Photoshop with anything just yet. Provided they don't change the price of the full suite that includes Premiere and AE, I'm unaffected. I've got no problem switching to Avid if that happens, and I know a lot of my peers will, too. It's already a questionable call to keep paying for that service.

You might look into On1 RAW as a LR substitute. I've been using it for a bit over a year now I think and so far, I'm impressed.

I knew Adobe CC would start jacking up prices once they got their claws into everyone. I just do NOT like the rental model for software.

There are more and MORE viable alternatives for Adobe products that are not subscription.<P>

Davinci Resolve (especially with version 16 coming) - Can replace Premier, After Effects, Audition, and then as a bonus you get some of the best Color Grading software out there. The free version does everything about 98% of the people out there need.

Affinity Photo - Can replace Photoshop pretty readily, faster engine too.

On1 RAW (and others) - replacement for LR.

Affinity has replacements for Designer and with Publisher coming out soon, should be a viable alternative to other Adobe offerings.

I was thinking.....why doesn't Adobe offer their CC offerings WITHOUT cloud storage? I mean, not everyone needs cloud storage just to use their tools locally, where most people do their work, right?

Why don't the offer that option and keep the prices low?

cayenne

I am paying almost CND $1000 per year for the CC suite now. It's way over priced. I have been thinking of switching to Davinci and On1 for quite a while, but I am concerned about the learning curve to get up to speed. How long did it take you to get proficient at Resolve? Is it a complete replacement of Premiere/ Audition?

I am going to buy at least Resolve and check it out. Adobe is over-the-top greedy, and Premiere is full of bugs, and crashes all the time. I think Premiere is permanently a beta product. Sure their stockholders love it... now ... but I suspect they are going to bleed a lot of users who don't really use everything in there.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I am paying almost CND $1000 per year for the CC suite now. It's way over priced. I have been thinking of switching to Davinci and On1 for quite a while, but I am concerned about the learning curve to get up to speed. How long did it take you to get proficient at Resolve? Is it a complete replacement of Premiere/ Audition?

I am going to buy at least Resolve and check it out. Adobe is over-the-top greedy, and Premiere is full of bugs, and crashes all the time. I think Premiere is permanently a beta product. Sure their stockholders love it... now ... but I suspect they are going to bleed a lot of users who don't really use everything in there.

With Davinci resolve...there is a learning curve. I've been looking at the previews of version 16 coming out soon and if it hits like it shows, it will be the killer non linear editor suite to beat IMHO.

I've used it mainly in the past to learn color correction and color grading and it can't be beat for that. But in addition to learning theory behind color grading, how to read scopes, etc...and using node based editing it is not rocket surgery to learn the controls.

If you are used to a NLE like Premier, I think you will pick up the Resolve editor pretty quick. It appears with version 16 you will have two NLE screens...one for quick throw it together stuff and then the regular one that is more layer based and detailed. Again, premier like.

I"m coming into it from FCPX, so I'm used to the magnetic timeline, and the Resolve style like Premier is different for me to learn, but again, so far, Ii've not found it to be rocket surgery.

You can get the FREE version of Resolve to try out...there are no limits to you using it, no trial period, it just works.

The full version has extras like noise reduction, and I believe other features that are more suited to editing houses where you have multiple people working at once on a project.

The sound design looks very interesting...

The replacement in Davinci Resolve for After Effects, I believe is Fusion. I've not tried this yet....it is node based like the color grading area, and I"m guessing that will be a bit of a learning curve, but from what I've seen and researched, it is quite powerful...comes with good particle generators, etc.

Anyway, I'm waiting to shortly upgrade my computer and likely about that time, Davinci Resolve 16 will be out. I plan to set that up. If I can generate enough $$, I'm also wanting to invest in one of the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema 4K cameras...and it comes with the full version of Resolve with it.....

Anyway, hope that helps.

For the price, I can't see why anyone wouldn't try it out....don't cost nothin' .....

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Works fine unti you buy a new camera.
Mr. Neuro,

I've got a question: What about converting raw files to Adobe dng? Is it not a viable option for the new camera delemma?
I'm sure you and others can explain any shortcomings in the format.
I read a few articles that say it's a fine alternative and would be interested to see any links to the contrary.

Thanks,
Macoose

Edit. Please don't do a lot of searching to answer my question. I'm looking for a general answer that covers the high points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Mr. Neuro,

I've got a question: What about converting raw files to Adobe dng? Is it not a viable option for the new camera delemma?
I'm sure you and others can explain any shortcomings in the format.
I read a few articles that say it's a fine alternative and would be interested to see any links to the contrary.

Thanks,
Macoose

Edit. Please don't do a lot of searching to answer my question. I'm looking for a general answer that covers the high points.

When you have 2,000 raw images from a sporting event, that is a lot of extra time to convert and hassle with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I switched over to Capture One a few months ago and I wish I did it sooner. Can't replace Photoshop with anything just yet. Provided they don't change the price of the full suite that includes Premiere and AE, I'm unaffected. I've got no problem switching to Avid if that happens, and I know a lot of my peers will, too. It's already a questionable call to keep paying for that service.

I'd look into Resolve. I've got Premier, AVID and Resolve, but I could see switching over to Resolve. The only issue is After Effects, I don't see a suitable replacement on the horizon.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm surprised that you are experiencing all these problems. The computer I have is new, but probably no more powerful than yours (most likely less), but I have not experienced any of the issues you raise. I would think that if the problems were as severe for other users, we would be hearing more about them.

Google returns a ton of hits for the slow new document issue. It also reveals a fix I didn't know about before.

I can't find info on the ACR issue, but that's because no matter how I word the search Google returns a bunch of other complaints about slow PS/LR/Bridge under CC.

Upvote 0

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to Capture One. Initially, I had buyer's remorse because it was so different, but when I went back to Lightroom once the trial expired, it felt like I was using dated software and I just bought it.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Why wouldn't you be using Photo Mechanic as a front end pre editor like pretty much every other high volume sports shooter?

& re: Neuros comment about old LR-Versions.

I use LR 5.7 and if necessary (renting a 1Dx :)) the Adobe DNG-Converter. Gave away LR 3 and LR 4 to friends of my son. LR 5 is fast enough for me, i am used to it and would not change it. But if i change, it surely would be Capture One. My impression is, that for whatever reason the resulting IQ in C1 is far better. I dont know why, but it seems to be so - in my opinion.

[Edit: typo]

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
adobe really has the business model of a heroin dealer. Get people addicted, then slowly drive the price up when people are hooked and hardly have an alternative..
adobe really has the business model of a heroin dealer. Get people addicted, then slowly drive the price up when people are hooked and hardly have an alternative..

hardly have an alternative... is a bit of a exaggeration to put it mildly :)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
All this wailing and hair-pulling about a commercial company being greedy, yet open-source projects like Darktable, dcraw and Rawtherapee are crying-out for samples and technical help in reverse-engineering CR3 format. If you're concerned about the future of digital photography for enthusiasts and small companies that can't afford hefty cloud subscription fees then get off your backsides and help.

The annual subscription plan before was a negligible business expense. The increased price remains a negligible business expense.

It's also a single point of failure for your business. What's your reversion plan if there is an outage? Sit on your hands and sing lullabies to your clients?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With Davinci resolve...there is a learning curve. I've been looking at the previews of version 16 coming out soon and if it hits like it shows, it will be the killer non linear editor suite to beat IMHO.

I've used it mainly in the past to learn color correction and color grading and it can't be beat for that. But in addition to learning theory behind color grading, how to read scopes, etc...and using node based editing it is not rocket surgery to learn the controls.

If you are used to a NLE like Premier, I think you will pick up the Resolve editor pretty quick. It appears with version 16 you will have two NLE screens...one for quick throw it together stuff and then the regular one that is more layer based and detailed. Again, premier like.

I"m coming into it from FCPX, so I'm used to the magnetic timeline, and the Resolve style like Premier is different for me to learn, but again, so far, Ii've not found it to be rocket surgery.

You can get the FREE version of Resolve to try out...there are no limits to you using it, no trial period, it just works.

The full version has extras like noise reduction, and I believe other features that are more suited to editing houses where you have multiple people working at once on a project.

The sound design looks very interesting...

The replacement in Davinci Resolve for After Effects, I believe is Fusion. I've not tried this yet....it is node based like the color grading area, and I"m guessing that will be a bit of a learning curve, but from what I've seen and researched, it is quite powerful...comes with good particle generators, etc.

Anyway, I'm waiting to shortly upgrade my computer and likely about that time, Davinci Resolve 16 will be out. I plan to set that up. If I can generate enough $$, I'm also wanting to invest in one of the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema 4K cameras...and it comes with the full version of Resolve with it.....

Anyway, hope that helps.

For the price, I can't see why anyone wouldn't try it out....don't cost nothin' .....

C

Thanks for the info!
I think resolve is around $400. I've been thinking about getting their pocket cinema camera at $1200 or $1300, which comes with Resolve, so I might get that and get into resolve at the same time.

Upvote 0
It's also a single point of failure for your business. What's your reversion plan if there is an outage? Sit on your hands and sing lullabies to your clients?

Works just fine for me off grid when necessary. Perhaps you’re basing your question with the assumption I remain in a fixed location with no means of gaining connectivity outside of that location. I travel a lot, so that’ll never be an issue for me. Adobe servers going down to the degree I wouldn’t be able to complete a job isn’t even a worrying consideration. It’s like worrying about getting hit by an asteroid.

Even if everything ended up going wrong to the degree in which you’re concerned about, I’ve been doing this long enough and I’m resourceful enough to find a workaround. So, ultimately non issues for me.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Give Affinity Photo a look....so far it is my best PS replacement. I believe they have a free trial...available for OSX or Windows.

This link here shows links for iPad and Desktop.....the iPad one is surprisingly powerful.

But check out the desktop page,.

Affinity Photo - Windows, OSX and iPad

HTH,

cayenne

That looks interesting. All the tools that I actually use, plus a bunch more. How is the speed with Affinity? How up-to-date is the RAW processing (i.e., is the new RP camera body recognized yet?).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I was very resistant to the subscription model when it came out. A teaser price helped me decide to try it, but mostly I realized I was paying $600 a year for upgrades as it was. Before I retired I was using more of the apps more regularly. I need page layout very rarely now. I will occasionally decide that I want a letter to look really good, so I'll take advantage of the typographic features in InDesign. I don't do a lot of video, and I'm much more proficient in FCP than in Premiere, so I don't use the latter enough to get good at it. But I don't see cutting out or cutting back on my plan.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
What competitors? Aperture is dead and C1 is the only major competitor I can think of.

maybe they are dead because they cannot compete with what Adobe offer - in other words, Adobe do a lot to satisfy a majority of people and Aperture/C1 cannot keep up ?

The software has literally gotten worse since CS6. There is still years of prior code sitting there along with UI familiarity. That has value. But I paid for that value when I got CS6. I'm looking at the money I've paid since then and I have nothing to show for it.
In what way has it 'got worse'?
What would constitute having 'somthing to show for it'?

You make a lot of bland statements with no real meat to them.

Upvote 0