Advice for upcoming Mediterranean cruise

I have a 70D and am trying to decide what lenses to bring on this cruise. Highlights will be Barcelona, Gibraltar, Rome, Pompeii, Florence.

I will take my 18-135 as a walk around lens. Does the 24mm F2.8 makes sense for using inside museums, churches, etc.? Is something longer like the 70-300 worth taking on a trip like this?

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure some of you have toured European cities like these before.

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
When I have been in Europe, shooting on full frame my 24-70 has been by far my most used lens. I also used my 35/1.4 a bit, and some of my favourite photos were taken with it. My 70-200/4 IS (which I've since sold) was used least. If I'd had something wider than 24mm with me, I think I would have used it a bit - probably more often than the 70-200. (I should probably add I'm not a huge fan of UWA. It has it's place though :) )

On crop, I would take 15-85 IS or perhaps 17-55 IS as my walk-around. I really like the 17-55 IS lens, although having 15mm is probably the better way to go for travel. In the end I think I'd take 15-85 IS, a fast prime and the 10-18 IS, if I could.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Korf.
I don’t think a long lens is as useful as a wide lens, we obviously have no idea which lenses you have but I would also take something wider than 18mm.
If you have a 10-2xmm lens I would definitely take that and not the 70-300, or add it to your kit if you are certain you want the 70-300mm range (which might be useful from the ship?). Never done a cruise, I get fed up with all the other people on the hour long ferry crossing to our island! :mad:
I can’t think of a time I wanted a longer lens in Barcelona, which I think was all shot on film with an EOS 1000FN and the rather poor 35-70mm lens, I can remember not being able to get far enough away with 35mm for lots of shots, I don’t remember using the even worse Cosina 100-300mm f/5.6-6.3! :sick:

At the time I was very happy with this gear, but we live and learn! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Wow, thanks for all the responses. It seems the overwhelming consensus is to go wider so I will have to go that route. I was concerned about that so this confirms that will be right move. I really enjoyed the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 on a previous trip so maybe that will work again and provide a fast lens for those indoor shots as well since my 18-135 IS STM is much slower at f3.5 as the fastest.

Time to shop now I guess :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0