AF Beam on Canon R-series

Oct 7, 2021
Hi Everyone

Does anyone know why Canon blocks the LED AF Beam on third party flashes?
This has to be something in the software, cause it works on other mirrorless cameras.
Or does anyone know a workaround to make it work?

I'm a nightlife photographer and I really depend on the beam. My 5Div is near end of life and I'm already switching to the R series.

Kind regards

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
It blocks it on first party flashes as well, the beams don’t work with Canon mirrorless.
The patterned red beams don't play nice with MILC AF. There are settings to activate/deactivate the Speedlite AF assist beam on the R-series bodies, but when activated the red beam doesn't fire, the main flash tube emits a short burst of HSS-like strobing to light the scene. On Canon's 320EX, the LED lamp is activated for AF assist.

The R-series bodies have a built-in orange LED for AF assist (actually, I'm not sure if the R3 does), but it's not always useful – many lenses, even commonly used ones like the RF 24-105/4L, block the AF assist light from the lower left quadrant of the frame.

Oct 7, 2021
It blocks it on first party flashes as well, the beams don’t work with Canon mirrorless.
Yes. But Canon doesn't have a flash with a LED beam yet. Al their beams are infrared light. IR isn't readable by the sensor of a camera, but LED is.

neuroanatomist

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
But Canon doesn't have a flash with a LED beam yet. Al their beams are infrared light.
320EX

E3915377-0B2D-4A41-A310-0C58BE4EA4B4.jpeg

Mt Spokane Photography

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
The good news is that the cameras are so sensitive that AF assist is seldom needed and the R3 will be even more sensitive. They can AF in a near dark room but not as fast as some need.

I'd expect that they are looking for a way to make it work but have not yet found one.